• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Rise of Flight

What kind of DRM does it currently use?

And how exactly do I download the demo? I understand that I have to register it in game, but all of the download links seem to take me to the 1.017 demo.

Try the link I posted, it has a torrent file attached to it at the bottom of the first (quite long) post. The DRM is not much different to steam, there is an offline mode now but functionality is limited iirc.

this should help: http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

An unlimited demo? AWESOME! Now I can keep playing. I really enjoyed the demo a few months back when I tried it. I had instantly made a few friends on the servers and was sad to tell them I had to stop playing.

If any of you RO2 guys play this regularly let me know what servers.

Nestor is playing quite often on our server, Les Hellequins :) Not sure who else is playing there from the RO community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed, people will get hooked in no time ( did too :D) and with the career mode available for free people will easily find themselves wanting for more planes, looking at their AI mates in envy flying Dr.Is, D.IIIa etc :)

There also is a ton of community-made and approved skins, you can find them here:

http://riseofflight.com/en/community/usefulmaterials

Do not use all of them online if you are using a 32bit system! You will get out-of-memory errors because all the textures will easily blow past the 2GB limit.
If you want to use skins online with 32bit OS you will most likely have to lower texture settings to save RAM. With 64bit you can pretty much go nuts though :)

Upvote 0
Just downloaded the "demo". Have not played it very much, but it does require a hefty system. Brings my GTX 260, 4GB DDR2 RAM and AMD 965 to its knees at the highest settings at 1680x1050. Hopefully my CPU is decent enough so if I upgrade my video card it will run good. Load times can be a bit of a pain to.

Aside form that, it seems great so far. The flight and damage model are simply great. Graphics are very nice to. The menu is a bit laggy but the overall presentation is nice. Registration was very simple. The overall game feels very nicely done.

I think I will be spending a lot of time in this simulator for a while.

Just a quick question. The only difference between RoF ICE and the "demo" is that ICE contains two more planes, correct? So I can essentially keep the "demo" and then buy whatever planes of my choice to make it a "retail" version right? I like this method. I can research and see which planes I'd rather have for the same price. :D

Upvote 0
Just a quick question. The only difference between RoF ICE and the "demo" is that ICE contains two more planes, correct? So I can essentially keep the "demo" and then buy whatever planes of my choice to make it a "retail" version right? I like this method. I can research and see which planes I'd rather have for the same price.
Yes, exactly! :) Before the demo was limited to 14 days so using one of those upgrade packages allowed you to play unlimited - something you have anyway now, so buying any other plane will upgrade your game to the "full" version.

If you want to know which planes you need for career mode in the future to stay with a squadron you can just hover over them with the mouse while advancing the time when creating a new career, don't forget to select a day as well or else it will stay at the start date in 1916. Also when you are with a squadron you can apply for transfer to a different squadron, you do this in a similar way on the Headquarter tab.

For MP you will most likely need a few planes if you want to fly on the entente side, the Sopwith Camel, Triplane and S.E.5a will be good choices here. For the Germans the D.Va is already a nice plane to fly although a bit underpowered but it is usually present in many missions, additionally you could look into the Fokker Dr.I, Pfalz D.IIIa and the Fokker D.VIIF.

Of course if a 1916 or 1917 mission is running you are a bit screwed :D

edit: The DFW and Breguet are also fun and present in many missions and you can fly them in career mode, too!

edit2: I am running the game on Core 2 Quad 9550, more than four cores will not give you a boost but a high clock helps. I will probably upgrade to an sandybridge i5 in a bit. If you want to save some FPS turn down or off reflections and set shadows to medium special.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I am still setting up my controls. The Spad's throttle seems to be "inverted" compared to the Albatross and just about every other plane. :p Now, no matter what, on my actual throttle the controls are inverted. Pushed forward = decelerate. I tried checking/unchecking invert in the options menu for the controls but that doesn't seem to do anything.

This works out nicely for the Spad, but not so much for the Albatross. And it just seems unnatural to me.

I've been messing around with the graphics and turning the grass off helps a little. I've set reflections and shadows lower already. The highest setting for reflections makes stuff look far too shiny anyways.

Graphically I have two issues. For one, when I set the trees to "low", the up close LOD looks very undetailed... but the LOD is very detailed in the distance. It should be the opposite way. :confused: The other is AA. AA doesn't seem to do anything even if it is set to 8x.

Aside from that I am enjoying the game so far. Takes forever to bring down a plane with these machineguns though. :D

Upvote 0
The throttle lever on the Spad might move in the wrong direction from your POV but it should still work the same for your controller. If you make changes to your controls always re-save it or changes will not be applied. They might have installed them differently 100 years ago you know :)

You should be able to see if your controller works the right way btw where you can set up your curves.

Not sure about AA settings not having an effect but keep in mind that it is only applied to objects like planes and such, not the entire screen. For that you need to use super-sampling which will kill almost every graphics card out there short of 570 and up.

Regarding gunnery, yes it it's hard, it's awesome :D Aim for the engine or pilot, make sure you lead your target a bit on deflection shots (not as much as in ww2 or jet sims) and use the tracers to walk them into the target; don't trust the gun sights too much. If you see smoke and vapour comming out of it or rounds ricocheting you are on target :D

When you come from the six go a bit to the side, don't shoot into the tail :)

Upvote 0
AA doesn't seem to be working on my plane either. Shame, because otherwise the graphics look great. Super Sampling didn't change much accept kill frame rates as you said, so I turned that off.

So far I think I prefer the Albatross. I do like the SPAD's sights more though. If only I could put MG42s on them instead though. The MG08's rate of fire is too slow. :p

Upvote 0
Just downloaded the "demo". Have not played it very much, but it does require a hefty system. Brings my GTX 260, 4GB DDR2 RAM and AMD 965 to its knees at the highest settings at 1680x1050. Hopefully my CPU is decent enough so if I upgrade my video card it will run good. Load times can be a bit of a pain to.
I think it's your processor that is the bottleneck. I have a GTX 260 as well and it runs fine except for on the ground level -- about 15 fps. Once I'm up in the air, though, I get a solid 30 or more FPS with all the graphics on max. The difference is I have an i7 930 and I think, like most flight sims, the game is processor heavy.

It is a very nice flight sim. The game looks great and runs a billion trillion times better than the unoptimized mess that is Cliffs of Dover.

So who here plays online? I'm trying to get together a mental list so I know which servers to join.

Upvote 0
Looking at benchmarks our CPUs run roughly the same. It is not the fastest though and I am sure if I had a 2500K it would run noticeable faster. Perhaps I will have to OC to get smoother performance.

I think my video card just lacks video RAM as well as raw power. I am using 95% video RAM at 1680x1050 (896MB total). Turning back some of the graphics settings helped. Now I get a nice 30 or so frame rates with a few planes. I'll turn more back as I play more.

I'm still learning so I won't dare try online yet. I've only shot down a handful of bombers so far and won a dogfight (made the AI crash :D).

Does the Albatross or SPAD get any bombs? Didn't see any in the loadout menu in the quick mission editor.

Upvote 0
ROF uses multithreading but it usually only loads three cores. But higher clock still helps. Atm hexacores don't give more performance but in future they might split up some of the threads.

Still no idea why AA is not owrking for you, maybe you set a manual override in your driver that the game is ignoring?

The SPAD can carry two bombs in a small internal compartment where it can also carry a camera. German single-seat fighters never carried bombs historically, and they rarely flew into enemy territory either so they had no need for this. This changed a bit in the last few months though.

Regarding servers, well most of them are nice. There is basically two things that are catered for, fast-paced relentless killing on "FastFood" where you can get killed in seconds after you spawned, but it is a great place to learn how to kill fast.

And then there are some servers that offer a bit of a persistent mission with lots of things to do for people, level and low-level bombing, intercept, high-altitude fighting etc. if you live in Europe Les Hellequins offers the best ping and is usually very full around prime time, if you live in the US or Australia/Asia Oceanic Wings or Syndicate might be better.

I can only recommend visiting the official forums if you have any more questions, people are very helpful there: http://riseofflight.com/Forum/

Just login with your in-game account, no need to register.

edit: some italians are also working on a WW2OL-inspired online war that I am very much looking forward to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Must be a driver issue for me then (for the lack of AA). Turning down a lot of the settings gives decent performance. High 20s - low 30s with a lot of smoke on screen. 40-50 with a few planes fighting in the distance. It still looks very nice, but I will further turn back a few other settings to get more frame rates.

I have not mapped the button to open up my bomb bay doors yet, so next time I play I will look into trying that with the SPAD.

This is such a good game, also the Fokker DVIIF > all.

Not sure which variant, but so far the only fighter I shot down was an AI Fokker. :p

Upvote 0
It's damn near impossible to play with arrow keys or the mouse. I've tried, but you really need to a joystick to get the most out of the game.

You'll need a joystick. A controller won't be of any use either. A controller is only suitable for Ace Combat level stuff. Mouse and keyboards are only suitable for games that do hack jobs on the aircraft (BF series ect.).

I doubt anyone can even get into a flight sim without a joy stick. But it is worth the download since it is free.

Upvote 0
Try to get a cheap (used) MS Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 and you'll have the best joystick you ever want to have for this sim :)

This is mine, I am a lefty you see :D

002.JPG

Upvote 0