• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Rise of Flight

I have it and after playing awhile I got bored with dogfights and went back to DCS for sim gameplay. When the new campaign mode comes out I'll check it out again.

Pros:
-Authentic WW1 simulation with detailed flight mechanics.
-Superior visuals.
-Good damage modeling.

Cons:
-Anything below an i5/i7 with gtx460 and you're wasting your time.
-Repetetive scenarios...go here, shoot down plane. go here, shoot down plane. land.
-Limited plane selection.(dlc planes cost 8-15 dollars which is silly)
-No mod tools.

Upvote 0
I can see how buying more planes can seem silly, but the developers need to support their future endeavors. They're a relatively small Russian company in which Rise of Flight is the only game they have released. I doubt that Rise of Flight sales alone would be able to sustain their company, even if all planes were free as an incentive. I mean take Flogger23m for example. Based on his previous posts I can tell he has a great interest in flight simulators, but WWI flight doesn't interest him. And it doesn't interest a lot of people. They're in a tough position. Simulation already doesn't appeal to a lot of people, so imagine having to sell a WWI simulator.

And considering that payware aircraft can be more than 50 dollars for FSX (although the systems are much more advanced), the Rise of Flight aircraft seem a pretty miniscule investment if you're really into it. And there was a 2.99 sale not too long ago. So while I understand that if you're in a tough financial situation or if you'd rather be spending money on something else, having to buy planes can be a real turn off. But it's not that silly in the scheme of things. I'm glad that the campaign and other content is free however.

Does the Iron Cross Edition come with all of the addons?

No, in terms of aircraft it comes with eight as opposed to the four that come with the original. It also comes with a skin pack that can be downloaded online for free.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with PNV's post. Modelling a plane does take a bit of effort. I would gladly pay $2 or so per new plane.

Still, I favor proper addons - easier to manage. I'd rather pay $20 and get 7 flyable planes, a few new missions, and or other things.

That being said, is there a complete pack for RoF that will come out soon? With all the addons and DLCs in one box (or download)? With what IL-2 CoD is going through, I might just pick up RoF and wait until CoD gets sorted out. :)

Upvote 0
I totally understand why they charge for planes, and I have no problem with that. They put great time and effort into making each plane, and it's clear they love their game.

That said, I think the planes are too expensive. Lowering the price to $8, for instance, would probably make me think again about investing. But 16 bucks is way too much.

Upvote 0
Well, I do agree, that is rather expensive per plane. I can understand if it was a modern plane with a lot of systems, but a WWI era plane isn't that sophisticated. That being said, I'd pay $30 or so for all of the planes. But $100+? I doubt it.

Iron Cross is $40 at one of my local stores. I may just pick that up. How is the MP side of things? And how is the SP? Is there a detailed mission editor?

Upvote 0
With what IL-2 CoD is going through, I might just pick up RoF and wait until CoD gets sorted out. :)

Same here. RoF is in stock down the street at Fry's. You can buy either single planes or package upgrades from the RoF website. The package upgrades are sort of expensive, but considering the price of individual planes they represent a better overall value.

I still want to get Cliffs of Do-over, but I'm going to wait and see. It looks like RoF might be what it takes to scratch my sim-itch for a while.

Upvote 0
I have RoF and have barely played it. I own every plane though. I plan to play more once I upgrade. Also have IL2 CoD pre-ordered, but I'm aware it'll be like IL2 was. A good few months of updates before it becomes a reliable and stable online game.
LOL looks like that might be a bit of an understatement, based on what we're seeing right now with IL-2 CoD ...

Upvote 0
1.019 is out! New career mode, Free 2 Play with two planes (unlimited demo) and many many more. Changelog is actually too long to post:

The%20text%20that%20you%20have%20entered%20is%20too%20long%20%2832415%20characters%29.%20Please%20shorten%20it%20to%2030000%20characters%20long.
The text that you have entered is too long (32415 characters). Please shorten it to 30000 characters long.

[url]http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=20511[/URL]

Upvote 0