• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Riot Shield?

I know this has been suggested before, I've seen some suggest the idea on this forum, for other games, ect. A riot shield has been an idea that has been floating around in my head for awhile and I always thought it would be cool to see in a zombie co-op survival game. Here's a quick idea for how it would work.

The shield would protect you from most front attacks and could be dual weilded with the 9mm, handcannon, knife, machette and axe. This would provide an interesting option for beserkers as they could choose between having just a chainsaw with no shield, or a shield but being limited to weaker melee weapons. This would be mostly a beserker specific weapons, higher level beserkers would be able to absorb more damage with the shield.

Looking down the sights for any weapon would move the shield out of the way for you to aim, disabling its front protection. The shield would protect against all front attacks, but would have a limit before how much damage it could take before the shield gets knocked back. exposing you until you go a few seconds without taking any damage from the front, which would be the time you recover from the impact. The shield's health would regenerate whenever it is not taking any damage. The amount of damage it could take would vary based on whether the player is a beserker and what type of specimen is attack it. For example, it could take a pretty high amount of clot attacks, but could only take 1 fleshpounder strike before being blown back.

Ehhhh, as a rank 5 Berserker I'd be opposed to the idea. It just seems too exploitable. You could have a Zerker literally hold an entire door by himself with the shield out with almost no threat of death with their already impressive damage reduction (save for sirens screaming).

It's not a bad idea, but I think that with the mechanics of this game it wouldn't work out that well. A berserker with the shield, body armor, and full health could basically live indefinitely.

Upvote 0
Yeah we shouldn't add any good ideas or fun stuff to the game, because everything can be exploited.

The attitude around here is really annoying... it's a co-op game where exploits don't matter that much. This means it is the perfect type of game where they should be trying out all of the fun stuff that you can't normally do in PvP games because of exploits.

Upvote 0
Yeah probably... but a LAW or flamer isn't exactly a featherweight either :p.

It would also significantly reduce damage as well, with the disadvantage of limiting the weapons you can use with it.

Probably not ideal for all situations, but it would have its uses and add some variety, particularly if they added ranged mobs.

Upvote 0
Honestly given that some of the player models are indisputably riot police (it even says so in the background), it would be unrealistic NOT to have riot shields...

And how is standing in a doorway with a shield that much worse than standing in a doorway with a chainsaw? Nowadays I stand in the doorway mowing down everything that has a head while a couple guys behind me drop anything I miss. Nothing smaller than a fleshpound gets past a zerker in a doorway anyway (except sirens).

I'd love to have a riot shield. Combine with machete for the roman legionnaire feel, with a fire ax for the viking berserker gimmick, or (please implement!) spear (more likely sharpened pool cue or something but whatever) for the legendary THIS IS SPARTA!!!! Bonus points for a kick attack :D

Reactions: netmage
Upvote 0
i'd love to have the option of using a team member to block a broken doorway. the welding isn't enough to make a good zombie funneling system.

As I said, zerker with chainsaw and body armor does it quite nicely even solo with no one backing you up (on normal). On hard and above you need guys behind you shooting stuff up while you block the door.

Upvote 0
It's a game so it wouldn't be a problem... have you seen the walking speed with all the other stuff you carry :)

It would be a good alternative to chainsaws, chainsaws are really annoying. Doesn't take long for me to want to TK the guy with the chainsaw, so just hope FF is not on :)

WTF? You'd honestly wanna TK a good chainsaw zerker? No way! If they're good, they're basically a mobile wall that kills, saving you ammo. And even if they suck, as long as they're in front of you, they take most of the enemy aggro and soak the damage (An enemy pummeling your failzerker generally isn't moving and is thus, an easy target!). The noise is easy to ignore if that's what you're talking about...

Upvote 0