• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Review of My New All Metal Mesh Computer Chair

Amerikaner

Nov 23, 2005
I'm on the computer for much of the day doing work, gaming, and watching movies. The padding on my old chair was pushed flat and since I spend so much of my time at the computer I figured it was time to invest in a good chair. I'm very picky. I spent about a week researching by sitting on everything at Staples and Office Depot and looking all over the internet. Some of the ones in stores were pretty comfortable but they were either too small, constructed of too much cheap plastic, or didn't have enough features. None had a headrest.

Then I saw this one that looked very similar to the overpriced Herman Miller Aeron but for a fraction of the cost and took the chance that I'd actually like it once I brought it back home and constructed it. There weren't many reviews compared to many other chairs online but the specs looked good. The gamble paid off.

Here are my thoughts after using the chair over the course of two weeks.

Build quality: They aren't lying. Everything is metal except the cap for the pneumatic piston. Even that is pretty hard plastic. As said in other reviews, it weighs a heavy 70 pounds. The Silvervein finish appears nice and smooth. The mesh feels durable. The arms are made of a thick rubber type material. After seeing chairs with plastic casings and "chrome" painted cheap plastic arms this chair is a nice change from the norm.

Features:
The arms pivot and their width from the chair is adjustable. There are maybe four different levels of tilt counting the default position. Each can be locked into. There is no adjustable lumbar support but adjusting the different levels of tilt alters the lumbar feel and is a nice alternative method. Also, the range of height is pretty impressive. At the moment I have to work at a small desk and I can go low enough to sit comfortably but as I said I'm 6'2 and at the highest setting and with the back tilted my feet actually rise off the ground. And unlike most all other computer chairs, it has a headrest. It seems to be fitted to be most comfortable for people around 5'10'' to 6'3'' and is made with what appears to be a leather-esque material.

Appearance: It looks exactly like it does in the pictures so if you like that you'll probably like the chair in person. The only reason I knocked a star off for appearance is I don't like the look of the arms. The triangle shape just doesn't really look as good to me as the smooth rounded metal that comprises the rest of the chair but that's a minor fault.

Putting it together: The directions are very simple and should be because the actual steps needed aren't complicated. I ran into one annoying problem. Putting the base of the chair onto the pneumatic system requires putting four screws into threads in the metal base. One of those threads was poor and resulted in a stripped screw and stripped thread. Luckily I had an extra screw and bolt lying around the house that fit right and worked just as well.

Comfort: So far I've have had no major comfort issues. The mesh isn't as comfortable as many padded chairs are at first sit. However, it seems as though you can sit on this chair for hours and hours and your butt will never hurt. One of the huge pluses is there is no padding to be flattened. The mesh looks extremely durable and doesn't look like it will budge so you won't have to go replacing your chair every year due to flattened cushions. The amount of tilt is great and allows me to even tilt back and sort of recline forward into the computer while having the option of resting my head on the headrest. Fully reclining and using another chair as an ottoman makes for very comfortable movie watching as well. The arm rests are grooved in the middle and offer great support to your forearms while using the mouse and keyboard. I hate gaming without arm rests giving me support as my precision suffers and it becomes uncomfortable on the forearms after awhile. Fortunately, that's not the case with this chair.

Overall: A comfortable, durable, stylish, feature-rich, and relatively cheap computer chair that stands out amongst the sea of plastic, similarly priced, small, and feature-lacking alternatives you'd find at most places. Definitely recommended.

Best reviews and pics:
http://www.bizchair.com/a118b-gg.html[url]http://www.bizchair.com/a118b-gg.html[/URL]

Best price:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Solid-Met...0000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10996216[url]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Solid-Metal-Mesh-Chair-with-Headrest-and-Silvervein-Finish/10996216?sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10996216[/URL]

photo.jpg
photo.jpg

Last edited:
I am a firm believer in the need for a good chair.

I've had, for a few years a problem in my right shoulder blade, it burnt so much sometimes that I had to stop working/playing, I work the keyboard with my right hand.

I tried everything possible to solve the problem, creams, ointments, hot pads, even things that vibrate :eek:, changing keyboard position, I even did my best to switch over to be a right hand mouse user, without success.

Then one day, I pulled on the lever and let the piston down to its lowest position, guess what , I haven't had a problem since.

I am the happiest man in the world and I LovE my Chair.

Nice one Amerikana and you sort of look like some of your better posts.

Upvote 0
Oh man I remember having some super expensive 'designer' synthetic mesh chair at an office I worked at, it was the best, so comfy. You could have spent a day adjusting it if you wanted to. It also had the best wheels on a chair, that plus sanded floorboards made it great, if noisy, fun to slide around on.

Shame I can't remember the make of it as it was fantastic, would totally buy one once I make my millions, for now my

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I seriously need to get a computer chair... and a computer desk. Right now my monitor and mouse are on a nightstand and the keyboard hangs off (it is propped up by a small box that is on top of the computer case, which sits directly beside the nightstand). This setup is about 6 inches from the bed and faces it. It is as comfortable as it sounds... ah the joys of apartment living :rolleyes:.

Upvote 0