• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation, WW2 HL2 mod "most realistic experience possible".

I guess you mean that tiny hole in the targetdisc is modelled too big?

I think it's done that way so you won't have a triangle-shaped hole.

Thats the classic problem with ring and post sights, in real life they work because you are focusing on the front post, making the rear sight blurr out and appear much larger than it really is, but in a game, that just doesen't happen, so you have to model the hole too big, or you woulden't be able to see anything through that tiny hole.

Upvote 0
can't be arsed tp register at their forums, and hockeywarrior is frequenting this one anyway, so I fire away:

it looks quite nice, and weapon handling seems to be similar to Infiltration by the looks of it, which I like.

BUT the animations, while good, have some issues:the crawl animation isn't too good. While hardly any game manages to do it completely right, yours is more way off than any other recent game I can think of right now. It literally looks like the char is gliding on his tummy and quite speedy too) instead of crawling.
And the Kar bolt and reload animations have very severe clipping issues with the player pov.

Upvote 0
Wow that has got to be the best K98 i have ever seen in a game. The sounds, animations and skin are really top notch. I love the animations when running and moving around - weapons feel like they have weight to them. Free aim is a bonus too.

I agree with Rattus regarding the crawling animations. They could use a little refinement but never mind.

Overall very impressed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It might just be me but that K98 both looks and sounds (even the bolt action sounds) like one of the MANY custom K98's that I had in DoD (before it was pants). Granted it'll have a much better polycount and lighting etc but really...it's hardly outstanding.

Still, mod looking good.

Unfortunately as I think the source engine is pants I'll reserve my judgement for when it's released.

Upvote 0
can't be arsed tp register at their forums, and hockeywarrior is frequenting this one anyway, so I fire away:

it looks quite nice, and weapon handling seems to be similar to Infiltration by the looks of it, which I like.

BUT the animations, while good, have some issues:the crawl animation isn't too good. While hardly any game manages to do it completely right, yours is more way off than any other recent game I can think of right now. It literally looks like the char is gliding on his tummy and quite speedy too) instead of crawling.
And the Kar bolt and reload animations have very severe clipping issues with the player pov.
Yeah the crawl speed is being worked on at the moment is not final or anything. Also, the player has the ability to "sprint" while crawling for those situations where you need to really move while prone. Of course, you tired quickly as well. I think that animation is a place holder as well but do not quote me on that. The clipping issue is being resolved -- the devs were tweaking player views and got it a tad close for the animation -- just a matter of tweaking it to get it right again.

You really should register on the forums. Alot of your guys's questions can be answered in much more concrete ways that I can deliver. They are the ones doing all the hard work. Oh, and while you're there, you can stop by and thank Brian Fieser for the professional quality sound work. Brian is a pro at what he does and it's fantastic to have him on the team.

Thanks for your comments guys. Remember, all of what you see is totally WIP and has been changed many times over the last few months (and will probably continue to change). So, basically, don't assume anything is permanent. You're all familiar enough with mods to know that it's an ongoing process.

Upvote 0
Been watching this one for a while, I think it's shaping up nicely. Though I am not a fan of free aim while aiming down the sights at all (just not realistic).

With the Garand sight I think the rear sight ghost ring is too thick, I know in reality the hole is very small but it's pretty much impossible to mimic what it's like using an aperture sight with a computer screen. Which is why I tend to favour the method most games use when approaching aperture sighted weapons by making the rear sight hole larger, for usability. The KAR98 looked very nice, whoever did the model and animated it really did their homework.

On the crawling animation I reckon all you need to so is add a little bit of camera bobbing into it to detract from that gliding feel and it would be perfect.

Otherwise it's looking great and I'll be downloading this for sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've probably explained this about 5 or 6 times in different discussions here so I'll be brief :p

In reality when you aim a weapon you lock it into your shoulder and get what is called a 'cheek weld' with the stock. The sights are lined up correctly by virtue of this as it puts your aiming eye directly in line with them. Swiveling around is done with the torso and the weapon is pretty much always locked into the center of your vision. If you tried to pivot the weapon around independantly of your head you couldn't keep your sight picture, simple as that. Games with free aim while aiming down the sights allow this, hence it's not realistic.

You can pivot the weapon around in your shoulder to a limited extent for sure, but to keep it sighted you'd have to be be following it with your head so the weapon would still be locked into the center of your vision.

Upvote 0
Yeah the crawl speed is being worked on at the moment is not final or anything. Also, the player has the ability to "sprint" while crawling for those situations where you need to really move while prone. Of course, you tired quickly as well. I think that animation is a place holder as well but do not quote me on that. The clipping issue is being resolved -- the devs were tweaking player views and got it a tad close for the animation -- just a matter of tweaking it to get it right again.

You really should register on the forums. Alot of your guys's questions can be answered in much more concrete ways that I can deliver. They are the ones doing all the hard work. Oh, and while you're there, you can stop by and thank Brian Fieser for the professional quality sound work. Brian is a pro at what he does and it's fantastic to have him on the team.

Thanks for your comments guys. Remember, all of what you see is totally WIP and has been changed many times over the last few months (and will probably continue to change). So, basically, don't assume anything is permanent. You're all familiar enough with mods to know that it's an ongoing process.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions and keep us updated on things. I think the mod will shape up nicely and you guys seem to be going the right way about stuff too.

Upvote 0