• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation, WW2 HL2 mod "most realistic experience possible".

I wouldn't say Normandy is overdone.

More likely mediocre games with Normandy setting are being overflooded.

Looking from the point of view of basic elitist RO HC fan, can anyone name Normandy game that's actually good? And I mean elitistic HC RO fan point of view that RO > everything, or using RO as base to compare every other WW2 (or even modern warfare) games.

I doubt that.

Upvote 0
Normandy or Western Front isn't overdone game-wise, it's just the formulas behind them are overdone. I surely get sick when I see a new COD or MOH game set on WF, but I'd be excited as hell if I heard a Western Front modelling with RO realism and gameplay(and more) of course.

Upvote 0
The trailer looks very promising and the listed features are interesting, it looks like it they are taking some of the best realistic features of vietcong, OFP, AA and our very own RO
If they pull it off it could be fantastic, which just made me all the more disappointed to see the oh-so-familiar sight of US troops creeping though Northern France to liberate Europe (and change the world) again.

Of course the Western front would benefit from a realistic gameplay approach, but nevertheless i've experienced the enviroments time after time.
Gameplay aside, I don't think you can argue that the Cod series, MOH an many others didn't capture look and feel of the enviroment pretty well, so i don't see how that can be drastically improved upon, or depicted differently. To have the vision of a totally realistic gameplay approach is to be comended , but then give it such an unimaginative setting is a shame IMO.

That said, I wouldn't let this stop me checking it out, and I guess you can't blame devs for going for the most popular mainsteam theatre, it makes sense. But with so many decent games and mods bidding for my attention it can come down who i am/where i am.

Personally I'm looking forward to playing a realistic mod with US weapons.

I've always had Vietcong for that. The Thompson, Garand, and M1 carbine (oh yess), were all brilliantly done i thought, so I already feel like i've have plenty of gametime with US WW2 arms, if admittedly not in a WW2 game.

I'm glad to see they claim to have created accurate balistics for the weaponry, as with other source shooters I always suspected you could shot though a brick wall, if you straffed behind it imediately after shooting. The 'red line marker' in Css seemed to prove this, thou as presumably hitscan weapons i'm not sure how this happened. Guess its all netcode or whatever, but it stopped me taking source seriously for shooters somewhat. The nades certainly appeared to curve though the air while strafeing, as slower speed projectiles they highlighted this trend.

Upvote 0
Gameplay aside, I don't think you can argue that the Cod series, MOH an many others didn't capture look and feel of the enviroment pretty well, so i don't see how that can be drastically improved upon, or depicted differently.
Not directed at you, but I wonder why some of you guys bash CoD and MoH for their so-called "unimaginative" setting and treat them as if they were only about some Normandy romps?

"Oh, so unimaginative. Normandy again. Just like in CoD/MoH."
In the Call of Duty games I know there were different campaigns set in different war theaters, including Russia or least the former Soviet Union, Italy, North-Africa, the Ardennes, Germany of course, and I think even Belgium.
Medal of Honor had some variation in settings too. Russia, Italy, Japan, ...

Upvote 0
I'm looking forward to it, but I'm keeping my expectations low. I can still feel the bad taste of INS.

Yeah true... I wont be hyped at games at all anymore, so i wasnt hyped for INS either, the past has taught me that :rolleyes:
Like at first i thought FarCry would be one big island, of wich you had to try to escape, as that was what they initially promised (or at least it said so in a certain gaming magazine). How much it sucked when i finally saw it would have levels, or when they announced the mutants 2 months prior to the release :(

Anyway, the trailer kinda reminds me of DoD:S. It cant be helped.
Hell, they made a trailer for DoD:S that actually made it look awesome, while it isnt all that great at all :D
So i'll just wait and see, when its out its out and i'll play it, but i wont wait for it or hold my breath over it :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Well the thing about people saying that this is another game where you run around Normandy liberating Fortress Europa from the Germans isn't exactly true because this is an online game and you can go the Germans if you choose :).

Also i believe this MOD has been in development for about 4 years i could be wrong so when they first started out a realistic Normandy mod or just another Normandy game wouldn't have seemed that bad an idea at the time and not over done.

The thing about any group of people that sit down and develop a game/mod for free NO MATTER what the setting is at the end of the day ITS FREE and they didn't have to put any of their own free time into doing this so we can play a free game/mod. So people moaning about where the game is set or if its realistic or why didn't they put this in or theve done that wrong kinda annoys me tbh because one they haven't played it yet and two the didn't pay for it, it was free. I guess the old saying about looking the gift horse in the mouth applies here.

Upvote 0
RnL Beta Tester Reporting for Duty....

RnL Beta Tester Reporting for Duty....

Hey guys, just noticed this thread in the gaming section of the forum! I'm a lead beta tester for Resistance and Liberation right now, and I must say, the game is really shaping up. The developers are fully committed to making a game that best attempts to simulate reality, without destroying the fact that it is a game.

We would like to put out more media updates, but lately, many of our developers have been caught up in working on a next-gen Ghostbusters retail game coming out some time next year! Hopefully when that workload subsides a bit, RnL will be in good enough shape for a very solid release. Really all we need now are animators to get some of those necessary things in game. Animators are gold now adays it seems!

So anyway, I on behaf of the RnL community would like to thankyou guys in taking such interest in our mod, and if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them in such a way that doesn't break my NDA ;)

Upvote 0
Im easily gonna try this mod out... Im curious about the bullet ballistics, how the source can handle that. I asked for it in Ins mod, but they said it wasnt needed. :(
But this mod looks very promising and seems to have talented devs.. :)

Maybe it isnt. Some of the maps are so realistically dark, that youre gonna need all the help you can get to kill anyone!

Upvote 0