• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation, WW2 HL2 mod "most realistic experience possible".

kabex

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006
Mexico
Resistance and Liberation, WW2 HL2 mod "most realistic experience possible".

http://resistanceandliberation.com/
TR: Why make Resistance and Liberation?
Ben Goldberg: Well firstly we are making RnL because it is the game that we have all wanted to see. The team is striving to make RnL the most realistic experience possible because it is the game that we have all envisioned and want to play.
(from some interview).

Anyone seen this? I don't even own HL2, nor want to buy it. But I am keeping my eyes open for mods, same with BF2(FH).

I read they have manual bolting and they are big RO fans(at least the community) so this might be another thing to look forward to besides Forgotten Hope.

You know mod teams these days though, they take 3 years to release the first version. Nothing like the good old days when even alphas were released.

I'll be reading more about it and keep you guys updated.

From the website:
The goal of Resistance and Liberation is to realistically portray the events and actions taken by the 82nd Airborne during their stay in Normandy. Our initial release will follow the regiments through a campaign that mimics that followed by the men themselves. The campaign will begin with players dropping into Normandy in the early hours of June 6th, with the ultimate objective of capturing the town of Sainte-Mere-Eglise. From there subsiquent maps will include missions based on locations such as Montebourg Station, La Fiere, Carentan, and other key areas.
Our approach in recreating such events is quite different than that of most standard first person games. The principal of our focus is on realism. The realism we are referring to is beyond that of Counter-Strike or Day of Defeat. Just to list a few details, the following items are being implemented.
  • No crosshair
  • Weight and intertia added to weaponry
  • Full balistics added to weaponry
  • No HUD
  • No death messages
  • Revised score display
  • An advanced damage system
It appears they have 3 firing positions, hip, ironsights and shoulder(!!!!). Awesome.

Hyperion2010 said:
I've seen it.

Honestly, until you really fear death the experience wont be able to apporximate real behavior because it completely changes the mental experience.

ROO, and really any game will have the same problem.
You obviously need to play Operation Flashpoint multiplayer using the WGL mod, hour-long missions and absolutely no respawns.

You don't know FEAR until you've played that.

Absolutely terrifying. You die, you're out for an hour.

OFP + WGL + TacRealism squad + Multiplayer = the absolute closest you will ever get to a simulation of actual infantry operations.

Check this guys AARs, I am in his tactical gaming squad(ofp,ro,etc):
http://dslyecxi.com/shackstuff.html

Upvote 0
No death messages? Thank God, in my opinion that should be a mandatory feature in RO:O.

Lionel-RIchie said:
Hour long respawn? That doesn't sound very fun : /

There's a line between realism and fun :p

RO:O firefights last around 15 seconds. WGL firefights last around 15 minutes, because they take place at realistic ranges.

I wish RO:O had infantry maps that weren't so up-close. Too many urban maps.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
No death messages? Thank God, in my opinion that should be a mandatory feature in RO:O.

RO:O firefights last around 15 seconds. WGL firefights last around 15 minutes, because they take place at realistic ranges.

I wish RO:O had infantry maps that weren't so up-close. Too many urban maps.

RO is the game that it is, it's not ofp and it never will be. The game itself is for immense and fast combat (especially in cities and small areas).
Now of course fire fights wont take too long because we only have 32 (in RL there would be what? 320? 3200?) players on one server which means that you have to simulate the masses. And you can only do that with fast respawn times, it's not ROs fault that people like to pwn and roxxor in the rambo style.
Take the games as what they are.

Let's see how Resistance and Liberation will be (better or worse than RO?).

Upvote 0
kabex said:
Nimsky,
Oh yeah, not full at all. Anyone can join in, the space is unlimited.

They have an organized battle maybe once a week, but the SomethingAwful guys play nearly every day and all the ShackTac people are invited.

(I haven't played in a while, the WGL mod runs too slow on my old comp and it's annoying).

Wow, that sounds like a great group. I might pick up OFP for cheap just for that.

In Ghost Recon there is a group called Alpha Squad (alphasquad.net) who wrote some pretty hardcore missions. They had a Stealth Recon tournament every year... was pretty cool. Playing online with them was always a treat- great communication, battle plans made upfront, commanders assigning kits, etc. Once in game stealth was usualy the desired tactic- infiltrate, get as far as you can before starting a firefight. Some hour long missions were done without ever firing a shot(sounds boring... actualy very tense when you see a 6 man patrol walking towards the brush you are prone in... you have your Xhair on them but you can't shoot because a dead patrol will scrap the entire mission...).

But I will definately check out that OFP group. I'm at the point now in gaming where I find more enjoyment of playing 1-3 good games in a week(or every other week) than playing a few crappy ones a day.

Upvote 0
Yeah these guys are great. Nevermind what I said before though, I haven't checked the site in a while and it appears they are a little tight now.

Anyone is still welcome but as long as you stay somewhat active, I guess people are tired of seeing dozens of people join and NEVER show up. So, if you're going to be somewhat active(once a week would be more than enough I assume) then go ahead. Great tactical community.

Just talk to Dslyecxi(the guy who runs it) he's on TS almost every day and available by e-mail etc. Great guy. He's an ex-jarhead so he knows his stuff, as well.

Upvote 0
K.Johansen said:
ROO would be alot better if they made maps the size of orel for infantry.

IMO that would be extremely unfun. The only reason you can keep your sanity on a map the length of Orel is because you're driving in tanks.

*spawns and sees no clown cars/HTs*

*runs for 20 minutes*

*sniped*

Respawning in 30 seconds...

Not to mention the battlefields would be super empty. That's the reason the infantry only maps are so small in RO...only 32 players. If this game could support 64 players, then maybe I would agree with what you say.

Upvote 0
Lionel-RIchie said:
IMO that would be extremely unfun. The only reason you can keep your sanity on a map the length of Orel is because you're driving in tanks.

*spawns and sees no clown cars/HTs*

*runs for 20 minutes*

*sniped*

Respawning in 30 seconds...

Not to mention the battlefields would be super empty. That's the reason the infantry only maps are so small in RO...only 32 players. If this game could support 64 players, then maybe I would agree with what you say.

Well maybe if people don't want to walk of ride a 251 back to the front line after they die they will be alittle less heroic and maybe work together.

Upvote 0
K.Johansen said:
Well maybe if people don't want to walk of ride a 251 back to the front line after they die they will be alittle less heroic and maybe work together.

No, just no.

When you work as a team it doesn't magically turn on God Mode. You still die, and you will still have to traverse that distance...and this time you will probably do it ALONE and be at more of a risk.

Upvote 0