• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Info] Reproducing the possible cause to the hit detection bug

Nezzer

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Porto Alegre, RS
Since nobody paid attention to my post in some other thread, I'll post it here.

A friend and I did some tests: pick the lvl 50 PPSh, put it on semi-auto and take cover behind something. Now blindfire, but instead of clicking once, hold the mouse button for a few seconds and it'll look like you are still firing as the weapon keeps shaking. Now exit the cover mode. The weapon sometimes will start to fire on auto on its own without muzzle flash, sound and recoil, but its bullets will register and might kill someone (though this can only be seen from the shooter perspective, everyone else will see him firing normally). Sometimes the weapon will act normal, but its bullets won't register if you shoot at a wall or at someone (also only visible from the shooter perspective, for others it'll appear as if he's not firing at all).

I've also tested it with a bolt action rifle: in any stance, in or out of cover, if you fire and hold LMB for a few seconds some of your shots might not register sometimes. Maybe this bug is related to the hit detection issues some people (including me) are having.

A question: Do you get the smoke puff from the bullet impact when firing these "blanks"? 'Cause I've had quite a few shots clearly kick smoke up behind my target yet deal no damage to him, and a few contacts mentioned having the exact same experience to me. Especially noticeable in fallenfighters, as the bullet impact effect on the snow is quite large and noticeable.

---

Upvote 0
this happens to me a lot with the mp40.
How to reproduce:
Play against BOTS - use mp40 - dont aim down the sight (seems to be ok when ADS). Use bots as its easier to get in close but it happens with players as well.
Get up close to a bot and fire from the hip. by close i mean less than 10m
If they are within about 10m you will be very lucky if any of your shots register.
Its as if they go straight through them - then you get bashed.
You get to fire for about a second - so maybe 6 or so shots go straight at them - perhaps you will see one registering - but then your dead.
But if you ADS at that range it seems to register.

Upvote 0
This one of missing shots is a real problem.
Yesterday I was playing Grain Elevator as German, I saw a Russian entering a door, he was coming towards me, so no deflection shooting was needed, he was 8-10m from me and I was aiming towards the door already, so no way I could miss him.
So I fired a burst of about 5 bullets in his chest but he was unhurt, he fired back and killed me !

This thing happened to me several times before, but not so blatantly.

I am a game programmer as well, here is where I would look for the bug:
- packet loss: as there is server side detection in this game, each single bullet must be sent from the client to the server. This makes much network traffic when a burst is fired. Maybe some packet (bullet) might be lost. Or maybe some packets (bullets) are processed later, when the enemy has fired already and killed you.
- loss of synch of player position between server and client: it's possible (but unlikely) that I saw the enemy at some place while he was actually at another, maybe just 50cm away. In this case movement does not count, because he was moving towards me.
- a bug has been reported so that, if a player is wounded at some part of his body, that part becomes invulnerable. So maybe this guy had been hit earlier in the chest, that made him invulnerable to chest wounds. If confirmed, this bug would be very serious.
- bug in hit detection algorithm: I don't know how it works in RO2 so I have no clue whether this is likely or not.

I hope this bug is solved soon. having this type of bugs makes the game almost unplayable, at least at close distance combat, where a missed hit means certain kill for the enemy.

EDIT: I forgot to add, it was a 64 players server. But had the bug also for smaller number of players (48)

Maraz

Last edited:
Upvote 0