• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Renting your software - is this really so bad?

Lets discuss this principle.

Is it really that imperative to people to own their software? Wouldnt it in many cases be better to buy a license to the software for a finite amount of time, than shelling out a lot of cash for a software that would maybe only be used a few times?

Renting software gives the developer a steady cash flow, which will allow them to support a game for years, adding bug fixes and new content. MMORPG players have been using this scheme for years, and it is working nicely.

Why the big urge against the same deal with FPS games? Granted, the fee should be lower than for MMORPGS, as the community is hosting its own servers, and not so much content is added, but i for one would gladly pay a few bucks each month to play RO!!

Opinions?

Interesting thought, but why is he so alone? why would this be a bad idea?

maybe this works for MMORPG becasue
1. people are willing to pay it
2. becasue there is need for a higher level, more hands-on involvment?

now i have never played MMORPG, but there are folks here that have
and i am sure they have a good opinion on it.

Upvote 0
Ghadafi said:
Lets discuss this principle.

Is it really that imperative to people to own their software? Wouldnt it in many cases be better to buy a license to the software for a finite amount of time, than shelling out a lot of cash for a software that would maybe only be used a few times?

Renting software gives the developer a steady cash flow, which will allow them to support a game for years, adding bug fixes and new content. MMORPG players have been using this scheme for years, and it is working nicely.

Why the big urge against the same deal with FPS games? Granted, the fee should be lower than for MMORPGS, as the community is hosting its own servers, and not so much content is added, but i for one would gladly pay a few bucks each month to play RO!!

Opinions?

I dont understand what this is in reference to. I know some people think that there is a monthly fee for Steam, but that isn't true. So is that what you are referring.

Upvote 0
Personally i have always preffered buying my stuff outright...last thing i need is to have my bank screw up a credit card balance or workplace mess up and be late with a paycheck and lose access to something i already paid umpteen times for as a result if i cant pay the subscription - plus i have enough expenses draining out every month without adding another to it lol.

I exclude MMORPGs etc as they are extremely expensive to run so many super-powered servers with a consistent "world" at all times, but as for regular games or app/OS software - Furk No.

Upvote 0
Valac said:
I dont understand what this is in reference to. I know some people think that there is a monthly fee for Steam, but that isn't true. So is that what you are referring.

It is kinda in reference to the fact that some people fear they will be paying monthly fees for playing games in the future. (Via Steam or otherwise.) I want to discuss the basic principle of paying a recurring fee, instead of a tine time big fee.

Sherman said:
You are so incredibly alone on that one it's not funny.

I was kinda hoping for a little bit more feedback. :) Please explain why you have that opinion, i would like to hear it!

I believe that this is a way of paying for online entertainment, games and otherwise that we will see more and more of in the future. Pay per view is making its way into television, and i think it is a model that really makes sense.

My standpoint is probably biased in that I am a IT business employee. I know that a running cashflow is what is needed to keep a project alive.

I urge people to take a look at Battlefield 2, developed by DICE, published by EA. It has been buggy almost to the degree that its laughable, but EA is pushing most of its resources into developing new expansion packs, instead of patching the game to a decent standard. If gamers payed a small fee each month to play the game, EA would be forced to fix the game, or people would stop playing it. (And paying for it) As it is, EA doesnt really have any incentive to fix the game, they rather need to put out more and more expansions to keep income going. (Sims anyone?)

I hope people can give me some examples as to why they think paying a onetime fee for a software license is a better option. :)

This is a very interesting principle to discuss. :)

Upvote 0
I don't like paying per month for something that isn't going to be as consistant as an MMORPG or something. Paying for something that we host our own servers for - which also cost lots of money to keep and maintain - just isn't very appealing. The reason EA has so many expansions is because they are a money hungry greedy corporation. They would produce the same amount of expansions whether we paid them per month or not.

Upvote 0
Sherman said:
I don't like paying per month for something that isn't going to be as consistant as an MMORPG or something. Paying for something that we host our own servers for - which also cost lots of money to keep and maintain - just isn't very appealing.

A valid point.

The recurring price would obviously be expected to be sensible in comparison to MMORPGS where the publisher is providing the whole infrastructure.

Anyways, that is a point open to influence by market and demand.

Upvote 0
I urge people to take a look at Battlefield 2, developed by DICE, published by EA. It has been buggy almost to the degree that its laughable, but EA is pushing most of its resources into developing new expansion packs, instead of patching the game to a decent standard. If gamers payed a small fee each month to play the game, EA would be forced to fix the game, or people would stop playing it. (And paying for it) As it is, EA doesnt really have any incentive to fix the game, they rather need to put out more and more expansions to keep income going. (Sims anyone?)

Well, I vote with my money, I was almost sure to get BF2, but seeing as it took them like.. well there are still things to fix in BF'42, I waited for the demo, reviews and community response.. and as I suspected the game was overwhelmingly buggy and unfinished, and that did it for me, I dont think I'll buy ONE SINGLE game from EA anymore, ever. unless something very suprising/good comes along. (FEAR isnt EA is it?? )

Upvote 0
Usually you NEVER buy a software. You buy a licence wich gives you the permission to use the software.

Usually you cannot resell the licence., so actually you don't own the software.
Please read at least one time an EULA agrement.

You cannot also disasembley the code, you cannot use any part of the code in othe applications aso.

Leasing the software for a period of time can be good sometimes and it is happened. But not with games (with some exceptions) wich cost 30-100$.

Upvote 0
BobdogG5 said:
I don't think renting most software would really be financially feasable; I mean, most games cost around $50, which pretty much any subscription model would burn through in a year at most. It might make sense for really high-level apps, that cost upwards of $1000, but otherwise, no, not really.

What he said.

Your idea would work iff there was the possiblitiy of a lot of new content. It would also eliminate different major releases. (IE, everybody gets a free upgrade from HL1 to HL2 if they have a subscription)

Upvote 0