• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Remove Elite Assault from Classic?

Remove Elite Assault from Classic?

• Yes, remove it from classic.

Votes: 62 58.5%
  • No, leave as is.

Votes: 44 41.5%

• Total voters

Keyser_Söze

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
So classic is very close to what Ostfront vets wanted from the start but I still cringe when I hear that Mkb. How about just one more tweak to make it near perfect and remove the fantasy weapons completely from classic mode? There are 2 other modes where players can get their assault rifle fix. What says you classic players?

If Classic is meant to be the most 'authentic' of the available game modes then anachronistic equipment should be removed. The MkB/AVT* gun bunnies can still have their fantasy prototype weapon jollies in the Realism and Action game modes.

* Are there any AVT users out there? This is one of the main reasons (aside from it never having been at Stalingrad) why the MkB is such a travesty: it works very well indeed in skilled hands whereas the AVT is in effect merely just another SVT.

Upvote 0
just imagine the MKB as a reskinned Stg-44.. a weapon that was overly common in the ROost.. that's classic. :]

And worthless, the STG-44 has no more place beeing in Stalingrad than the MKb-42 does, so how does that bit of play-pretend make it better?

Also, nobody cares if it's "Classic" or not, people asked for "Historically accurate" loadouts, not for "throw in whatever you have laying around if it's kinda sorta like it was in Ost" loadouts, and besides that, Ost never had the STG on all maps, only 44 maps and later.

Giev historical accuracy plox.

Upvote 0
Hopefully we'll have some more common and historically accurate weapons added later on, like with how Killing Floor continued to add weapons in free content patches over time. I can't remember how it worked with RO1. Were weapons ever added to that? I guess (like tanks) they were much easier and quicker to make for that game, though.

The Luger 08 would be good.

Upvote 0
Fine with it as is.

Is it really such a huge problem for the RO1 Vets and historical buffs to have 1 MKB and 1 AVT per 64 player game?

Honestly, I find this argument rather ridiculous. The reason before was that they were cheap and too many folks had them. Now it's because they are historically innaccurate?
The AVT isn't, they produced a lot of them and almost all weapons in that time perioud were used--zero sat in wharehouses as surplus.
The MKB was a prototype, but it still was technically fielded for testing.

Also, RO2 and RO1 aren't simulators.

Upvote 0
And worthless, the STG-44 has no more place beeing in Stalingrad than the MKb-42 does, so how does that bit of play-pretend make it better?

Also, nobody cares if it's "Classic" or not, people asked for "Historically accurate" loadouts, not for "throw in whatever you have laying around if it's kinda sorta like it was in Ost" loadouts, and besides that, Ost never had the STG on all maps, only 44 maps and later.

Giev historical accuracy plox.

SOME people asked for Historically Accurate Loadouts. NOT everyone. Some were fine the way it is and just played for fun.

Also, the whole Stalingrad time period is undoubtedly going to go out the window as time goes on.

Upvote 0
Fine with it as is.

Is it really such a huge problem for the RO1 Vets and historical buffs to have 1 MKB and 1 AVT per 64 player game?

Honestly, I find this argument rather ridiculous. The reason before was that they were cheap and too many folks had them. Now it's because they are historically innaccurate?
The AVT isn't, they produced a lot of them and almost all weapons in that time perioud were used--zero sat in wharehouses as surplus.

You have humbled us all with your fiery intellect :p

Yes it is a problem and it is only being asked about for the Classic Mode.

Now I don't really have a problem with the AVT because they were produced in very large numbers so seeing them there is understandable. And the recoil with them is horrendous.

But the MKb, well the player carrying them is shot, someone else picks it up. Continually repeat and there are easily 4 or 5 of them firing all over the battlefield. Not to mention they are on the summer and fall maps before they were even possibly available.

So, in my opinion the MKb should either be removed entirely or made a server option that is set to OFF by default for the CLASSIC mode. If someone really wants to play with them, they have Action mode or Realism mode.

Upvote 0
I'm curious if there is anybody who stone cold would not play CLASSIC mode if elite assault was not included and what the reasoning is behind that. So far we seem to have to 2 types of people on the issue, those who want it removed and those who tolerate it's presence.

Fine with it as is.

The problem with the Mkb long before release was that it was historically inaccurate to be included. The case for its removal only grew stronger after release when we all witnessed how game breaking it was, especially the horrific sound effect of it. The AVT is not accurate either, wasn't even produced until '43, absolutely no evidence of it being at Stalingrad.

No, RO1 was not a simulator but it does have sim elements, and historically accurate weapons was one way it separated itself from the competition. Absolutely nobody would have a problem with the gun if this was Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Berlin. But the locale of the game is Stalingrad and these weapons were simply not there.

Also, the whole Stalingrad time period is undoubtedly going to go out the window as time goes on.

Probably true but then it should be done the same as it was in RO1 as Grobut pointed out. TWI could make a Heroes of Kharkov '43 expansion and include many of the weapons people want (MG42, Panzerfaust, Tiger, etc..).

Upvote 0
I have no problem with one weapon for Elite Assault, but better change would be to allow weapon loadouts be server-side option if that's even possible. If not, allow mappers to attach specific loadouts to their custom made maps.

I have asked the question several times, at different times and in different threads with no response or answer; is it a server option or not about turning on/off the Hero weapons or are they just there whether we like them or not?

Upvote 0
You're still getting the G41 with ZF4 4x Scope mounted in a place that not only was never done in that spot, but also is impossible since the ZF4 is not a long-eye relief scope, and you wouldn't see anything through it mounted there. Additionally it provides balance problems since reloading takes forever. The ZF4 has been mounted on the G41W in the position similar to the G43, but this is incredibly rare, and may have only been done post-war (may have been done during the war too; again, who knows.)

But on topic, personally I agree that Classic mode should get Server-side options to disable MkB42.

Upvote 0

Yes it is, and for the same reason it would be to have "just one" Alien pulse rifle per team.

Nice try, but the argument has been about historical accuracy all along, the very first thing that happened when that gun was announced was a giant monster of a thread where people went "dude, no, that weapon could never have been in Stalingrad, please reconsidder!" for allmost 40 pages, and it would probably have gone on to 100 pages if TWI haden't locked it.

There was also a backlash against how many of them were avalible when the game was released (even from the people who don't care about historical accuracy at all, there were just so many of them that even they felt it was ridiculous and compleately imbalanced), but that doesen't change the fact that historical accuracy was always an issue with it from the very start.

SOME people asked for Historically Accurate Loadouts. NOT everyone. Some were fine the way it is and just played for fun.

Ahh yes, how could i forget about people like you, people who were dead set against the Classic mode even beeing made in the first place.

Upvote 0