• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Remove 90fps cap online

Ever since i got one of these alienware 120 hz screens, it is exactly this. I feel bad for people on ancient 60hz.

Don't feel bad, I do just fine. Been playing shooters for 20 years. It's not all about the shiny toys, skill has a lot to do with it as well. I use an old beater mouse and keyboard I got at walmart years ago and I still play a lot better than most people I have seen.

Far as Q3/QL goes, the starting machinegun could be better, it takes 20 bullets to kill someone, and that is if they only have 100 health and no armor. The other guns are decent, but spawning and getting a gun is more akin to playing poker than a shooter. I got bored of it pretty fast. The ideal spawning weapon is one that is decent enough to score a frag, flexible, basically a general purpose decent gun that isn't the best but you can still kill with it. Then again, I prefer more realistic combat style games, but grew up playing doom, duke nukem 3d, and quake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't feel bad, I do just fine. Been playing shooters for 20 years. It's not all about the shiny toys, skill has a lot to do with it as well. I use an old beater mouse and keyboard I got at walmart years ago and I still play a lot better than most people I have seen.

For me its not about how well i play, but how i feel playing, i find it looks much better/smoother on 120hz compared to 60hz

Last edited:
Reactions: Pluberus
Upvote 0
For me its not about how well i play, but how i feel playing, i find it looks much better/smoother on 120hz compared to 60hz

Probably psychological, your eyes really can't tell much difference, this is mainly from my study of anatomy and how the eyes and brain work together and relay information.

Yes I can tell the diff between 90 and 120 I have quake3/QL eyes.

Probably not. Your brain can't really perceive any real difference in anything above 60FPS or so. That is a difference of about 0.003 seconds, not even noticeable(90FPS vs 120FPS).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ditch your monitor, go pick up a 15" CRT monitor, in beige, has to be beige, no other colour is allowed.

Set game to 640x480. @ ~50Hz

Remove your laser/optical mouse and replace with a two button no wheel ball model. Serial connection preferred but PS2 is acceptable. Remember, must be beige.

Optional but recommend, replace keyboard with a model that can only accept a maximum of 3 simultaneous key presses. Must be beige.

Now you are gaming like it's meant to be.

Upvote 0
Spoiler!

I haven't cringed like that in a LONG time. I'm not sure if I should thank you or be scared of you :eek:

Upvote 0
I haven't cringed like that in a LONG time. I'm not sure if I should thank you or be scared of you :eek:

lol, just remembering the way it was. That's what I used to pretty much play quake and half life on.

Now of course I've got a supped up system with a 28" widescreen monitor and all the toys. Never understood this fixation on FPS and FOV, as long as I don't get tearing I'm happy. Motion blur, now that's something games could do with out.

Upvote 0