• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Removal of Mutators from Map

gunslingor

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
How do you remove a mutator from a map? I have been searching for weeks, I'm desperate. My buddy put some really cool things in my map, but apparently had to use mutators... a lot of his other stuff I deleted and I suspect it used muts as well. All I want to do, is completely strip the .u file associations to my map... I have tried deleting the .u file but the map will not open in KFed without it. So, how the heck do I remove all muts from my map... here's the file links if it helps:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B71fEvZJKoXBQjdoSW9JSE1jajg/edit?usp=sharing

I really really really need some help guys... pretty please.

He is MIA... the isn't a step by step procedure to remove them? Where exactly are they loaded at? I mean, other than the .u file itself I can't see any evidence mutators are in the map... what do you use to apply, change, add, remove mutators? Its the actor broweser right? If so, why are all the packages mixed together? I don't know what to do =(!

Upvote 0
Flux, thanks... that's about what I expected...

1. but what's the best way to dig?
2. How do I tell if an actor is using a mut? Properties window? where in the properties window?
3. When I find an object with a mut, how should I remove it... delete the object and drop the equivalent mesh?

I know of a few places where they might be used... I actually went thru and deleted them, removed the .u file and tried to open in KFed again... but KFed still crashes without the mut so I guess there are other actors that are using some of the muts.... or should I have rebuilt it before I removed the mut and tried to reopen?

poosh,

Thanks, that was my first attempt... would have been ideal! Hoever, I cannot open the file in KFed without the mut... the map just crashes

Have you guys had a chance to actually open and view the map? Maybe you can help? I can reciprocate... maybe make some meshes for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well firstly, what exactly does this package have in it do you know? If it's got some sort of weapon code, check all weapons if you have any. If you know it's got some sort of button used or so, check that. Anything that is not a mover, a texture or something that isn't used by the SDK personally. Actors are something you should definately check and I mean all of them.

Upvote 0
Thanks for he time man. So, CommieJoe did a lot of work on my map. I don't know exactly which items he's using the muts on, but I think I know a few of them:

1. The main stage curtain: moves like a real curtain when people walk thru it.
2. The Trader girl: which is 4 or 5 iterations of a dancing female sripper.
3. I think he used muts for he smoke machine, but it never worked and I rebuilt it with emitters... but I suspect the code is still in the .u.
4. He had a plane that would do a fly by, I think he used muts for this as well... but I deleted the plane because it caused issues... but the code may still be there.
5. There is a firehydrant that, when you shoot it the top pops off and sprays water... after a few moments the street fills up with water... this did work at one point but now its kaput (I may have screwed it up or deleted it).

I don't know what else might be using a mut... I don't even really know how to check if a mut is being used for any particular device. God I wish CommieJoe wasn't MIA.

Upvote 0
help me! help me!

DeadFlyMacro.jpg

Alright, if no one can think of a solution, how about we approach tthe problem differently. Instead of removing the muts I'll ask:

a) which mut is crash servers on map vote/reload?
b) what are the requirements for mut whitelisting and do my muts meet that?

If we can solve those 2 problems, I will be in heaven instead of a fly on the wall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have had problems like this in the past where stuff gets "stuck" in a map even when you try to track it down. My solution while not ideal was to "remake" the map. Open two editors side by side(go into your system folder and use kfed.exe to open 2), select all brushes, copy and pase them to original location in the other editor. Same with statics, lights, pathnodes, zoneinfos etc. This way your map will essentially be remade without all the custom actors unless you actually put them back in.

Upvote 0
Dude...thanks, that might be just the right thing to fix this and other errors. Will update later. But I do wish someone could take a look and clean up my muts.

EDIT: I think you were wrong about one thing... this is the ideal solution. Thanks. I don't know why it didn't occur to me, I rebuild databases all the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wanted to let everyone know... this is working. I've copy/pasted all brushes, meshes, pathnodes and tested that on the server... once I got everything configured right it worked flawlessly... Like a real server! So now I'll just keep taking backups, adding things in, and testing over and over.... Thanks again!

I was able to decompile my muts. finally. How do I go about putting them into this map one at a time for multiplayer testing... I know little of muts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wanted to let everyone know... this is working. I've copy/pasted all brushes, meshes, pathnodes and tested that on the server... once I got everything configured right it worked flawlessly... Like a real server! So now I'll just keep taking backups, adding things in, and testing over and over.... Thanks again!

I was able to decompile my muts. finally. How do I go about putting them into this map one at a time for multiplayer testing... I know little of muts.
Either make it a mutator to turn it on server wise. Another two ways is to make a trigger turn a mutator or so on and having the actors placed in the map. That is really all I know of how to put them in maps.

Upvote 0
gunslingor;n1748269 said:
Thanks for he time man. So, CommieJoe did a lot of work on my map. I don't know exactly which items he's using the muts on, but I think I know a few of them:

1. The main stage curtain: moves like a real curtain when people walk thru it.
2. The Trader girl: which is 4 or 5 iterations of a dancing female sripper.
3. I think he used muts for he smoke machine, but it never worked and I rebuilt it with emitters... but I suspect the code is still in the .u.
4. He had a plane that would do a fly by, I think he used muts for this as well... but I deleted the plane because it caused issues... but the code may still be there.
5. There is a firehydrant that, when you shoot it the top pops off and sprays water... after a few moments the street fills up with water... this did work at one point but now its kaput (I may have screwed it up or deleted it).

I don't know what else might be using a mut... I don't even really know how to check if a mut is being used for any particular device. God I wish CommieJoe wasn't MIA.

Is this in relation to your State Palace map? If so, those addons sound cool.....if only you could fix them up to work without any problems and that other guy to NOT **** off like a dick....

Upvote 0
gunslingor;n2292572 said:
Thanks man... I would be game to coordinate others, if you know of any, who could help touch up the map... but is anyone playing it?

I would help, but currently have no idea how to code in unreal script....nor even finished any of the mapping tutorials I intended to do, so no experience in that either....hahahaha

Well I don't see any servers with it on the server browser last I checked.......but I am intending on adding this to my maplist so that it can be votable if someone wants to play on this map....

You still play, no?

Upvote 0