• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Relic Developer sacrifices himself to protect his wife and child

Speirs

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006
Brian Wood spent his life thrilling millions of faceless gamers, but his last moment was spent saving the lives of those he loved most.
Wood, a 33 year-old lead designer at popular game developer Relic Entertainment, was on his way back to his Washington home when his wagon was struck by an oncoming Chevy Blazer being driven by a 21 year-old woman believed to be driving under the influence. With his pregnant wife Erin in the passenger seat, Wood swerved his car to put himself directly in the path of the oncoming SUV -- a decision that ultimately cost him his life, but protected his wife and unborn child from harm. Two other passengers riding in the backseat of the Blazer were also killed.
"All the policeman say that if we had hit the car head-on all of us would be dead," Erin Wood told The Province. "At the very last second (Brian) braked really hard and turned right so that he would be put in the path of the SUV and not me and the baby, and that is the only thing that saved us both."

Full article here: http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/...-support-to-widow-of-heroic-developer/1410899

This kind of stuff just kills me when I hear about it. He was way to young to die.

However, I think it is awesome how the video game community is trying to help support his widow by sending donations and supportive comments.

It is really sad. I don't know why everyone needs to make this tragic event a hero story though. When you're in the right lane and a car is coming right for you from the left lane of course you're going to swerve to the right, thus putting the driver side in more danger. Why would you ever swerve into oncoming traffic? He probably just did the logical thing in that split second reaction time and ended up with the full brunt of the impact. Very sad unnecessary event and the support from the gaming community is awesome though.

Upvote 0
Well, if he did sacrifice himself for his family he most likely didn't do it intentionally, but like you said, he just swerved. Still, he's dead and his family lives. That's what is most important about the story.
I read this hero-stuff few days after the initial news too and decided not to post it here because it seemed so unnecessary.

Still, again, RIP Brian and I hope his family is doing alright, considering the circumstances.:(

Upvote 0
Still, he's dead and his family lives. That's what is most important about the story.

This is very true. You guys are most likely right about him just being logical, but as Murphy summed it up, its the fact that his family was saved.

I read this hero-stuff few days after the initial news too and decided not to post it here because it seemed so unnecessary.
.:(
Yeah I debated whether or not to post it, but seeing as there are so many unnecessary threads anyways, and the fact this one had some meaning to it, I went ahead and posted it.

Upvote 0
It is really sad. I don't know why everyone needs to make this tragic event a hero story though. When you're in the right lane and a car is coming right for you from the left lane of course you're going to swerve to the right, thus putting the driver side in more danger. Why would you ever swerve into oncoming traffic? He probably just did the logical thing in that split second reaction time and ended up with the full brunt of the impact. Very sad unnecessary event and the support from the gaming community is awesome though.
Exactly my thoughts.

Upvote 0
Thing is, we don't know why he did it. But the thought of Brian sacrificing himself to save his wife and his unborn child gives comfort. It makes this senseless and accidental death a little easier to bear, so more power to that story IMHO.
Sure but they are stating it as fact.

Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
paxl.png

Upvote 0
Thing is, we don't know why he did it. But the thought of Brian sacrificing himself to save his wife and his unborn child gives comfort. It makes this senseless and accidental death a little easier to bear, so more power to that story IMHO.

As KrazyKraut said, it's not the job of reporters to warp facts into entertaining stories.

Upvote 0
Well, if it wasn't explicitly his intention to die for his family (which I can almost guarantee it wasn't. He swerved to save all of them but still died, unfortunately) his wife can probably still rightfully assume that had he been given the choice (i.e. had it not been a split-second decision born out of instinct rather than conscious thought) he probably would have given his life to save hers.
So if people want to assume something incredibly noble happened that day, let them! They're not far off enough to warrant a discussion. Especially considering the circumstances.

Upvote 0
Gibby logic says that it implies that this guy's death wasn't in vain. Like, give your life to save another, y'know?

A man died in a crash car and his family survived...

If you tell the story like that, its easier to bear, and you wouldn't even mind it much.

If you say he was a hero because he willingly put himself in the collision course and therefore, gave his life for his family, now that is tragic and harder to bear, because the loss of a hero is always more painful than the loss of a random guy.

The proof is that this thread exists.

Upvote 0
A man died in a crash car and his family survived...

If you tell the story like that, its easier to bear, and you wouldn't even mind it much.

If you say he was a hero because he willingly put himself in the collision course and therefore, gave his life for his family, now that is tragic and harder to bear, because the loss of a hero is always more painful than the loss of a random guy.

The proof is that this thread exists.

Yes, i guess. Putting it "the hero way" makes it sadder after all. But just saying to his family and friends "he died in a car crash" just leaves it like a punch to the face. Straight, honest, un-sugarcoated, unimpressive and still painful.

But making it sound a little nicer puts better thoughts in the family's heads, doesn't it? It just gives them the feeling that he did it for them. Just so they remain thankful, rather than just thinking it as another death in this world. But this sugarcoating just makes it sound a lot more depressing for the unaffected population. Loads of people die every minute, and they don't get a say.

Meh. Look at me ramble on. I guess it's just conflicting opinions of pessimists/optimists/realists.

Upvote 0