• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Released] Hunting Rifle Beta

i guess the weight could be lowered, but thats not my decision. I'm just wondering what exactly you need to pair it with. You can carry an assault rifle or HC, and even a nade launcher. Unless you wanna carry a shotty, there isn't really a problem with the weight, IMO. but whatever. its a sweet gun.

At a weight of 9 you can only carry it with 5-weighters like the SCAR or Fire Axe (or the lesser weight ones ofc).
It would be nice to be pairable with the LAR and perhaps even the M14 imo.

At a weight of 8 on the Hunting Rifle, it would be good enough (pairable with LAR that way), but if you put the Hunting Rifle AND the M14 to 7 weight, it would be a greatly useful and fun combo. (And hopefully in the future Xbow at 8 so you can pair it with the LAR but that is just me dreaming :p)

Anyway:
* What damage do you have it at? 225-ish? (LAR is 140 and Xbow 300)
* What headshot multiplier? 2x?
* Total ammo? 40? At a weight of 7 or 8 it would be just fine with 40 ammo, but up to 50 would be better, if the damage isn't too high that is. At a weight as high as 9 it would definitely require more than 40, that's for sure.

Can't wait until this weapon is completely done though. I hope you can get it balanced enough so it can be added to the real game (and not just as a mutator)!

Good job, i really admire all you guys who actually CAN create things and DO TAKE YOUR TIME TO DO SO!
Keep up the good work! :)

(PS: If you want help with balancing numbers (damage, ammo, headshot-multipliers, weight etc) just tell me, as i think it is very fun to do such things and to help make it as balanced as possible (which increases the probability of its addition to the real game!). I already helped with JackCarver's M99 and i had a blast doing so!)

Upvote 0
I am pretty sure I am not missing any of the system files. I unpacked the entire .rar directly into my killing Floor folder. I was playing on the testmap, so maybe the map created some kind of rendering failure when I tried to buy the gun. The crash only happens when I try to purchase the gun.

Hey Eon

I may have figured out the issue and have a fix ready for the next version. Although if you are interested I will send you an update via pm to confirm the fix, as I still have not been able to replicate the issue.

At a weight of 9 you can only carry it with 5-weighters like the SCAR or Fire Axe (or the lesser weight ones ofc).
It would be nice to be pairable with the LAR and perhaps even the M14 imo.

At a weight of 8 on the Hunting Rifle, it would be good enough (pairable with LAR that way), but if you put the Hunting Rifle AND the M14 to 7 weight, it would be a greatly useful and fun combo. (And hopefully in the future Xbow at 8 so you can pair it with the LAR but that is just me dreaming :p)

Anyway:
* What damage do you have it at? 225-ish? (LAR is 140 and Xbow 300)
* What headshot multiplier? 2x?
* Total ammo? 40? At a weight of 7 or 8 it would be just fine with 40 ammo, but up to 50 would be better, if the damage isn't too high that is. At a weight as high as 9 it would definitely require more than 40, that's for sure.

Can't wait until this weapon is completely done though. I hope you can get it balanced enough so it can be added to the real game (and not just as a mutator)!

Good job, i really admire all you guys who actually CAN create things and DO TAKE YOUR TIME TO DO SO!
Keep up the good work! :)

(PS: If you want help with balancing numbers (damage, ammo, headshot-multipliers, weight etc) just tell me, as i think it is very fun to do such things and to help make it as balanced as possible (which increases the probability of its addition to the real game!). I already helped with JackCarver's M99 and i had a blast doing so!)

Hey Aze

Been reading your balancing suggestions.....

Weight = 8
MinDam = 150
MaxDam = 180
MaxAmmo = 30
HeadShot* = 3x

I may change this regarding your input but I don't want to deviate too much from my initial methodology of the rifle.
At first I did want to create it to sit between the LAR and the Xbow and had it at

Weight = 7
Min = 180
Max = 210
Ammo = 40
HS = 3.

But for some reason it just didn't feel right and was so powerful that it needed to be more expensive than what I wanted.
So I decided to make the weapon a cheaper alternative, relative to the combat shotgun.

The weight is the same although damage is slightly less, so I may change that.
The price is reasonable at

Upvote 0
Ah, i know why it might feel so powerful (and i hope you will understand somewhat):

It's the 3x headshot multiplier that might make it feel to powerful, especially against Fleshies and Scrakes.

When you decapitate a target you deal a certain high amount of damage. The headshotmultiplier the Sharpshooter has as a perk bonus is used to multiply the headshot decap bonus damage (at level 6) by 2.4

In addition, the weapon's headshot multiplier is used in this bonus AGAIN as well, (aka x2 with the LAR) BUT the Xbow does not use its 4x multiplier.
So, the LAR has a 2*2 stronger decap (4x) and the Xbow has a 4*1 (= 4x)

With your rifle it uses the 3x multiplier, TWICE, thus a 9x multiplier on a decap, killing anything it decaps instantly! From what i can read in the formulas etc, a 3x multiplier is quite a bit too strong.

I would recommend keeping the multipler only at 2.0 or so (max 2.25, like the M14), allowing you to increase the base damage a little, to somewhere around 200-ish (which would be in between the LAR and Xbow), without the worry of taking out Scrakes and Fleshpounds too easily.

ALL THAT, and add in its penetration too. How many times does it penetrate? Unlimited possiblity, like the Xbow? I would reduce the penetration to max 2 targets (At max killing 3 at once)

Upvote 0
Just tried that rifle and I have to say: AWESOME WORK!!!
In my opinion it's well balanced and most importatn, a weapon that is fun to use! It does in no way make the crossbow useless, as it is a bit weaker and has some long reload times. The fire rate might be higher but reloading takes a while.
Great Work!
Unfortunately I'm not that good at balancing so don't take my opinion too serious :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe you should check the scope code for the rifle, there's guaranteed to be something that you missed such as the ScriptedTextureFallback or something else when porting it from the XBow.​

Edit: For people who don't know what the ScriptedTextureFallback is, it's the texture to render while using the 3D Scopes if the user's system doesn't support Unreal Engine 2 shaders.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Works great. Now my team has rapid and accurate sniper fire. ^^

One thing though, any fix for the arm textures? They always use the woodland camo sleeves even when using other characters, and they glow in the dark.

Other than that, it's all good...

Maybe you should check the scope code for the rifle, there's guaranteed to be something that you missed such as the ScriptedTextureFallback or something else when porting it from the XBow.​

LOL I did, it works now and will be in the next version. Sorry bout that :eek:

Just tried that rifle and I have to say: AWESOME WORK!!!
In my opinion it's well balanced and most importatn, a weapon that is fun to use! It does in no way make the crossbow useless, as it is a bit weaker and has some long reload times. The fire rate might be higher but reloading takes a while.
Great Work!
Unfortunately I'm not that good at balancing so don't take my opinion too serious :D

Thanks again Jack.

Upvote 0
I tried this in solo with level 6 sharpshooter, and it only had 30 rounds. Did I download an earlier beta, do something wrong, or what? As for the balancing thing, I'm not so sure I like penetration on the majority of sharpshooter weapons. Maybe a bit stronger, like a sort of sidegrade crossbow for the husks/sirens everyone hates.

Personally I use the bow when I'm on ground level and need to shoot THROUGH bloats and such to headshot a siren, and the LAR/HR only if I've got a good, high-up position where I can actually hit things.. Or teammates who will help clear the path. Giving it penetration makes it seem like an awkward crossbow clone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heres an amateurish skin i did for the Hunting Rifle.

Part of the scope weirded cause i must have painted over the wrong areas

I also edited the source and changed the name and sounds and some stuff for fun. :D

FalconRifle.png

FalconRifleScope.png

Upvote 0
Then the sound will be fixed/changed ?

I will probably leave the sounds as is, unless I find a better one in the TWI stuff.
Yoshiro said at one time, that they MAY hold a competition for community made weapons and if the map comp is anything to go by, nothing outside of TWI or originally created by the modder will be accepted.
If that day comes, I would like to enter this as my weapon, plus with copyrights and legal stuff with outside material, I would much prefer to keep everything in house.

I think he's been away or something. PM'd him about that crash fix he was talking about. I will probably be the first one to hear form him when he's not busy.

Sorry Eon, been quite busy. plus I have been beating my head against a wall trying to get the 3rd person anims to work, but yet have had no luck. the version I will send you to test will no doubt be the final release.

Heres an amateurish skin i did for the Hunting Rifle.

Part of the scope weirded cause i must have painted over the wrong areas

I also edited the source and changed the name and sounds and some stuff for fun. :D

Hey Goo, it is good policy to get the mod makers permission first before editing or changing any files created by the modder.
I don;t mind you retexturing but please do not release any files with the same name as mine as this will cause mismatches on servers etc!!
Please recreate the complete package in your own names to save any future issues.

Upvote 0
I will probably leave the sounds as is, unless I find a better one in the TWI stuff.
Yoshiro said at one time, that they MAY hold a competition for community made weapons and if the map comp is anything to go by, nothing outside of TWI or originally created by the modder will be accepted.
If that day comes, I would like to enter this as my weapon, plus with copyrights and legal stuff with outside material, I would much prefer to keep everything in house.

Sorry Eon, been quite busy. plus I have been beating my head against a wall trying to get the 3rd person anims to work, but yet have had no luck. the version I will send you to test will no doubt be the final release.

Hey Goo, it is good policy to get the mod makers permission first before editing or changing any files created by the modder.
I don;t mind you retexturing but please do not release any files with the same name as mine as this will cause mismatches on servers etc!!
Please recreate the complete package in your own names to save any future issues.

Sorry, i'll be suure to ask permission whenever i want to do stuff like this next time :eek:

I'm aware of the version mismatch thing

Upvote 0