• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Release: NoTracers-Mutator

I'm not sure if I can do that.
I did a mutator for myself where I changed the tracer speed (the tracer bullets move the same speed as normal bullets, but the tracers themselve move only at half speed) to the same speed of normal bullets.
There you can't see tracers that easily, but I'm not sure if this could have bad effects on server performance or general game play, as I'm not sure if the Unreal engine has problems with very fast moving objects.

Upvote 0
But tracer rounds for Tanks can't stay!

it's not realistic
i love you man. Great. I think mutators are the greatest invention :p

so... is it possible to make notracer for tanks too? :(
Thanks to the Lone Sentry website, I was able to locate this from "Tactical and Technical Trends", No.27 17th June '43

"A U.S. Army observer in Tunisia reports that in a German night tank attack against one of our tank destroyer units, the German tanks would fire their coaxially mounted machine guns at every object that had the slightest resemblance to a tank or armored vehicle. If the tracer ricocheted (indicating that it had struck a hard surface), it would be followed immediately by a round from the tank gun. Apparently the Germans did not mind wasting ammunition on rock piles, bushes, haystacks, etc., on the chance of perhaps getting a destroyer."

Now, you could argue that German's only used tracer at night, but I would like to see some source material on the subject.

Upvote 0
Tracers are static meshes in RO. The "ball" you see after a tracer stops moving is also a static mesh.
They could be changed easily if someone made a new static mesh that is created similar (facing the same direction ...) - so that only the mesh has to be replaced while no other code has to be changed.

But imo the tracers do not need to be changed, I think that they don't look that bad if they move faster.

Upvote 0
Well I would do it that way that on night maps the tracers move slow and are bigger simulating the glowing of light objects in the night that remains some time even if they are gone, while I'd make them smaller and faster on day maps. This way I would not have to change the current tracers and a lot of code.

Disadvantage of this solution is that you'd have the same tracer for the complete map i.e. you are on a night map and enter a perfectly bright building here you'd still have the night-tracer and vice versa.

Upvote 0
Changing the tracers can be done via mutator. The only thing I would have to do is choose the maps that should have the night-settings and the maps that should use the day-tracer. Maybe a setting between these two would also not be that bad. But for that - the settings - testing and different opinions would be needed.

Upvote 0
What I thought of was an ini file where admins can set the maps that are supposed to be night-day or inbetween maps. Maybe a note while the server is running that Tracer is activated and that the actual map is a nightmap or whatever would not be so bad. So that the people know why things happen the way they happen.

Upvote 0
NoTracer and FastTracer:
I did a new version of the mutator - delate all older versions! - that offers you the option to choose either NoTracer (set "bNoTracer" to "True" = standard) or Faster Tracer that move at 90% of normal rounds instead of 50% in stock RO (set "bNoTracer" to "False" and "bFastTracer" to "True").

It also incooperates special classes if you run INFPenetration or Ballistics716ID, so now you don't need special versions that work with these mutators, you only need to set "bINFPenORBall716ID" to "True" if you run one of those mutators.

For all that you only need to modify NoTracer.ini accordingly.

First post also updated, read that one as well, the download link is also in the first post.

Upvote 0