• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RELEASE: Armored Beasts Beta 2.0

Sichartshofen

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Version 2.3 http://www.amizaur.za.pl/files/Armor..._Beta_2.03.rarhttp://files.filefront.com/ArmoredBeastsLite_v2zip/;6758537;;/fileinfo.html

Beta 2.1 change log:

Changes include a major reworking of tank armor and penetration
modeling and some minor various changes and added features.
Changes in this version:

- Code handling, armor modeling and penetration calcs are enhanced.

- The single armor value for the whole tank is split to separate turret and
hull armor. Turret armor can be different than hull, also hit angle is
calculated separately for turret and hull.

- The table for penetration @ angle is thrown away and simple function is
used instead. Don't expect miracles any more as angling the tank can you buy extra 30% of protection at best, as in real
life. Not 300% as in original RO.

- Penetration now changes with range smoothly, not in steps. This means
that you'll get a bit more penetration from 10m than from 40m. Can be
important for PTRD shooters, as it's penetration is now barely enough to
kill early German tanks from side or rear and close range.

- Penetration values are random for each shot and can vary from
about 90% to 105%.

- The damage done by each penetrating shot is not constant. Some times one shot will do the job,
some times you will need 3 shots.

- Projectile speeds now travel at their real life rates.

- Tank reload times are reduced to more credible values.

- You can now exit to the tank's turret roof or engine deck, from
commander's position.

- Tank shell tracers are now smaller. No more DOOM fire balls.

- Correct ammo load outs for main guns.

- The tank commander's binocularas have dual-magnification. Scroll up for increased zoom.

- Panzerfaust does slightly more damage.

- Satchel kill radius reduced from 23 meters (!!!!) to 5 meters. Throwing 1 satchel on the engine deck of a tank is enough to kill it.

Beta 2.3 change log

- All filenames in mod changed, to avoid any interference with previous versions of mod.
From now on, any new mod version will be overwritting old one.

- ******** Remodelled tank optics and tank binoculars **********
(new Stug sight and binoc scale based on real photos of sight/binocs, more on this later)

- speed of tank shells reduced back to 0.5 of real speed, to see if full speed caused problems or not
(my personal bet would be that problems my reduce by 10-20% but still exist, and this was not the cause).

- Tracer of German tank shells changed to orange, Russian to yellow-green (as in 2.01) and some shells have red tracers, tracer size and visibility tuned a bit

- Panzerfaust remodelled, having now realistic ballistics, no smoke trail, and actually detonating on tanks

- Reduced size of tank AP shell 3D models, they were up to 200mm in diameter (for Tiger and IS-2 shell).

- Tank HE shells 3D models set to be same as AP shells - in stock RO HE shells of all tanks had 3D
model of Panzerfaust warhead... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!???!!!! :-O

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2159/76mmhesj0.jpg

- Tank HE shells don't have tracers anymore (as they usually didn't in real life)

- Fixed a bit T-60 gunsight, that was working backwards... But still not completly, it requires new reticle texture

- reduced AP shells explosion damage against tanks (no longer close misses should damage tanks)

- reduced HE effect on tanks (to increase number of hits needed to destroy tank by HE).

- Tracers of tank MGs had speed 2 times slower than normal MG rounds, now set to almost the same speed
(normal bullets little faster than tracers, but not 2 times faster)

- Reduced penetration of ricocheting tank rounds against other targets

- PzIVF1 got HEAT shells (it now uses AP and HEAT instead of AP and HE, HEAT works against infantry
almost just as good as HE and has 75-85mm of penetration against tanks)

- Fixed "invunerable" Su-76 upper hull issue from 2.0/2.01 mod v.

- Tiger tank split into several versions:

Tiger E early
Tiger E middle-early (the one used in game by default)
Tiger E middle-late
Tiger E late (having TZF9c double-magnification optics)

Currently only Tiger late differs from others (having better optics) but in the future there will be more differences, externally and in parameters

- Tank gunsights of most tanks (all in next update) scaled every 100m up to 2000m (not to 1000m as in stock RO). So now you can set 1100 or 1300m if needed (on Orel for example)

- Don't stay in burning tanks, it's unhealthy ;-), from now on the ammo and will blow up after some time and you will die if you stay so long

- basic shell dispersion added to tank cannons, dispersion based on available ballistic data of German
and Russian shells (like 50% dispersion zones/errors, hit probability ect) (still at work).

Last edited:
I have yet to try the new vertion though I have tryed the old one. and I think it may be a good idea to up the penitration values of the 76.2mm gun on the KV-1 and T-34/76 so that it can penitrate the Tigers side armor at about 200m insted under 100m. the gun with reguler AP ammo could do this at about ~300m.

Upvote 0
Mirror 1: http://www.amizaur.za.pl/files/Armor...v2.0_beta1.rar
Mirror 2: http://files.filefront.com/ArmoredBeastsLite_v2zip/;6758537;;/fileinfo.html

Change log:

Changes include a major reworking of tank armor and penetration
modeling and some minor various changes and added features.
Changes in this version:

- Code handling, armor modeling and penetration calcs are enhanced.

- The single armor value for the whole tank is split to separate turret and
hull armor. Turret armor can be different than hull, also hit angle is
calculated separately for turret and hull.

- The table for penetration @ angle is thrown away and simple function is
used instead. Don't expect miracles any more as angling the tank can you buy extra 30% of protection at best, as in real
life. Not 300% as in original RO.

- Penetration now changes with range smoothly, not in steps. This means
that you'll get a bit more penetration from 10m than from 40m. Can be
important for PTRD shooters, as it's penetration is now barely enough to
kill early German tanks from side or rear and close range.

- Penetration values are random for each shot and can vary from
about 90% to 105%.

- The damage done by each penetrating shot is not constant. Some times one shot will do the job,
some times you will need 3 shots.

- Projectile speeds now travel at their real life rates.

- Tank reload times are reduced to more credible values.

- You can now exit to the tank's turret roof or engine deck, from
commander's position.

- Tank shell tracers are now smaller. No more DOOM fire balls.

- Correct ammo load outs for main guns.

- The tank commander's binocularas have dual-magnification. Scroll up for increased zoom.

- Panzerfaust does slightly more damage.

- Satchel kill radius reduced from 23 meters (!!!!) to 5 meters. Throwing 1 satchel on the engine deck of a tank is enough to kill it.

A little story:

The other day i was at the supermarket. Anyway i get the usual stuff and proceed to the checkout where there is a hippy looking guy infront of me. I wait patiently in the queue until my turn and i take my first proper looking at the hippy's shopping:

a box of wine.

an important revelation at this point was that i noticed he had a large bulge in his jacket. When it got to his turn the cashier asked him to open his jacket and as he did so a tin of soup fell out. He didnt have the money to buy it so he just bought the wine, in tears.
So it's my turn, i pick up the soup and put it with my shopping and buy it (regardless of pressure from the cashier because she knew my intentions). On the way out, the hippy was outside crouched on the floor crying so i tap him on the shoulder and give him the soup. The next part was unexpected.

He got to his knees and put his hands up to the sky and shouted " Man, it's people like you that make this world work."

The revelance of this story had, momentarily, escaped the chroniclers mind. But it just came back.

You make the world work with kickass mutators :D:D:cool:

Upvote 0
The PTRD and T60 are nearly useless against tanks with this mod.

This is not a complaint.:)

But it was in real. :) But when you hit side of PZ III, IVF1,F2 and StuG III form about 250-200 m you can wery fast kill this tanks. In future smetimes T-60 or PTRD will be usfull becouse we try to do a new hit zones, boxes like: track, optics (crosshair) or driver armored glass whitch you can broke :). But do this take a some time :(.

I have yet to try the new vertion though I have tryed the old one. and I think it may be a good idea to up the penitration values of the 76.2mm gun on the KV-1 and T-34/76 so that it can penitrate the Tigers side armor at about 200m insted under 100m. the gun with reguler AP ammo could do this at about ~300m.

When we test this mod (me and Amizaur) sometime T-34 can penetrate tiger side armor from 200-300 but it have to be a almoust 90 deg., and you have hit hull. turret is very hart to penetrate from T-34/76 or KV1.

Our clan (FLOT), also runs this on our armor server....

But i think that is old version of this mod.

Upvote 0
And of course I forgot to mention about the MOST IMPORTANT CHANGE OF ALL - the turret's don't shake anymore when firing coaxial MG :D ;)

I see that the tracer brush is not very pretty with lag-slowed shots... but the main task of making it harder to see is achieved. Will be replaced with custom tracer later, maybe different colours for sides and different one for winter (red or something, to be easier seen on snow background).
And, people, be carefull when you angle your Panthers now - it's almost useless :). The front hull will withstand almost everything without angling, and probably everything when angled, but you show your thin side armor then. So no more than 20deg. And your turret is pointed at me anyway and I can shot it at 0deg :). The Tiger and IS-2 has very solid side armor and those two tanks can be angled succesfull, but again don't expect wonders too.

Upvote 0
But it was in real. :) But when you hit side of PZ III, IVF1,F2 and StuG III form about 250-200 m you can wery fast kill this tanks. In future smetimes T-60 or PTRD will be usfull becouse we try to do a new hit zones, boxes like: track, optics (crosshair) or driver armored glass whitch you can broke :). But do this take a some time :(.

When we test this mod (me and Amizaur) sometime T-34 can penetrate tiger side armor from 200-300 but it have to be a almoust 90 deg., and you have hit hull. turret is very hart to penetrate from T-34/76 or KV1.

But i think that is old version of this mod.
Actually, new version is running on our server. In testing on Arad Night and BDJ, you can really tell the difference in this version. Great update...keep up the great work!

Upvote 0
It's nice to hear :)

Here's the next beta. Corrected T-34/76 turret MG, which was still shaking, and changed some values that were used in test verion but I forgot to set for released one - like Panther front hull armor value tuned down to get correct performance against large-caliber 122mm AP. Thickess to diameter ratio is not modeled yet, so I have to play with basic armor values... Also changed the name to ArmoredBeasts2Lite to not mistaken it with the older ArmoredBeastsMut.

And a ReadMe updated a bit, with some tips of what works against what and from what range :).

http://www.amizaur.za.pl/files/ArmoredBeasts2_Lite_Beta2.rar - full archive, 1.4MB

http://www.amizaur.za.pl/files/ArmoredBeasts2_Lite_Beta2_CodeOnly.rar - 60kB of updated code without soundpack - if you have it already

http://www.amizaur.za.pl/files/ArmoredBeastsSoundsLite.rar - soundpack only, same as in full archive (1.34MB)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can paste it here as well, some advices from ReadMe:

P.S. Some tips:

Set a range on your sight, before firing - it's much easier to observe your tracer then. If you fire with range set to zero, the shell will travel under line of aim and the tracer will be obscured by aim marks.

If you have problems seeing your tracer with gun optics at long range, you can try to do it with binoculars. Aim the gun, go to unbuttoned view, fire the gun and switch to binocs quickly. It's much easier to see it this way sometimes, especially on long range. Of course if we had separate commander station, he could sense the shots for you... But have not currently.

Who can kill who:

When facing the Panther, aim for the turret ! Can be defeated from T-34/85 at closer (500m or less) ranges, especially with lucky hit. But it may fail too with unlucky hit... The front hull of the Panther can be defeated only by IS-2 from closer ranges (<600m). The side can be defeated even by T-34/76.

When facing the Tiger - fire at the hull ! You can kill a Tiger from IS-2 at almost any range in game (hull or turret). From a T-34/85 - aim for the hull, you have chances up to 900m with 0deg shot. The turret front is too thick to be defeated. Angled Tiger can be impossible to kill from T-34/85, maneuver to get 0deg shot at the hull or to get it from the side. The side of the Tiger can be defeated from up to... 2000m :-O from T-34/85 - this has to be checked, and up to 200m currently from T-34/76 (that would be late war ammo I guess).

When you are fighting in the IS-2 - take the long reload time into consideration ! Find a target from the cover, estimate the range, set the sight, uncover, aim well, shoot once and backup to cover for reloading. You can kill almost anyone - if you hit. This was real life tactic of good IS-2 commanders, they used it with good results. Also remember that you have only 10 AP shots, so consider using HE against less armored targets (like PzIV front or Panther side).

When facing IS-2 - aim for the turret rather than hull. And aim close to the gun, if you hit it too far to the left or right it will ricochet. You have fair chances up to 500m in PzIVH, but better be closer. Much better chances in a Tiger or Panther. But from long ranges even those two will ricochet if not hitting the center of the turret. The IS-2 front hull can be defeated from 400m (Tiger) or 700m (Panther).

Against T-34/85 - aim where you want, but when aiming turret - again hit it close to the gun, in other case it will ricochet most likely.

If facing T-34/76 with PzIII - aim for the turret and close to the gun, the front hull is out of your range.
The front turret can be penetrated up to 600m from PzIII using AP ammo. The front hull can't be penetrated (or maybe with 10% chance from under 20m). Of course you can penetrate T-34s front hull with APCR ammo currently, but you should not, it's too much sloped for APCR. This will be corrected in the future with better penetration formulas.

When facing T-34/76 with PzIVF1 - fire at turret front from <200m or the turret rear. You can't kill it from the side currently as lower hull armor is not modeled yet.

When facing KV-1 with PzIII - use APCR ammo and aim well. If you meet one being in PzIVF1 - retreat or surrender.

T-34/76 or Su-76 against:

PzIVF1 or F2 - front can be penetrated up to 1200m.
PzIVH - aim for the turret - up to 1200m. The hull - up to 150-200m.
Stug-III/F8 - front hull can be penetrated up to 150m (sometimes 200m).
PzIIIL - front hull up to 500m, front turret up to 800m

All above performance is just the result of using real life armor & penetration values as a base, but is not fine tuned yet. So it may change a little in the future.

The conclusions from this are:

most "balanced" pairs

T-34/76 and PzIVF2 - each one can kill the other without problems, from about 1200m.

T-34/85 and PzIVH - each one can kill the other without problems too.

IS-2 and Tiger - each one can kill the other over 1000m, the IS is little harder to kill for the Tiger (has to hit the turret close to the gun) but it's reload time is slow on the other hand.

other:

IS-2 and Panther - at longer range (>600m) Panther has the advantage - IS has to hit the turret and is slow reloading. At close range - each can kill the other with first shot.

T-34/85 and Panther - only on close range <500 and the Panther has advantage (T-34 has to aim for turret and it's not sure kill). Can be matching each other in a city (close ranges only).

T-34/85 and Tiger - again only on close range, T-34/85 has to aim for hull and have a good angle to kill the Tiger. Can be problem if the Tiger sit's with his hull at angle (blocking a street for example) and there is no other way to flank it and attack it from another side. Use a Panther on such map, it can be killed regardles of angle with close turret hit.

Single Tiger or Panther can be very unbalancing against 76mm. Use PzIVs or if you need a Tiger, offset it with very limited respawn (if they manage to kill it, it shouldn't just return from respawn) and with much greater number of T-34/76 on red side. Same for long range maps and T-34/85s.

Very unbalanced pairs:

Tiger or Panther against T-34/76 or KV-1 - from obvious reasons
KV-1 against PzIIIL - KV can be killed with APCR ammo only
T-34/76 against PzIVF1 - T-34 can be killed only from very close turret front or rear hits
KV-1 against PzIVF1 - German tank simply can't touch the KV without HEAT ammo...

Want to do a map hard for Germans and actually realistic? Give them StugIIIs and PzIVHs, and for Russians lot of T-34/85 and a few IS-2s... :p
Similar can be T-34/76 and few KV-1s for Russians and PzIIILs with PzIVF1s for Germans. Good luck with Barbarossa ;-)
So any team "balance" is just up to map makers :)

Take a look at previous post for new beta version:

http://www.amizaur.za.pl/files/ArmoredBeasts2_Lite_Beta2.rar - full archive, 1.4MB

http://www.amizaur.za.pl/files/ArmoredBeasts2_Lite_Beta2_CodeOnly.rar - 60kB of updated code without soundpack - if you have it already

http://www.amizaur.za.pl/files/ArmoredBeastsSoundsLite.rar - soundpack only, same as in full archive (1.34MB)

Last edited:
Upvote 0