• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Release: Armored Beasts 2.03 beta

Note than when elevating the gun, you move few hundred kilos of the gun mass plus the mantlet mass (but this is very close to center of rotation). When rotating turret, you move several tons of the whole turret mass :).
I guess I wasn't being very clear in my eariler post.

I'm comparing the speed of traverse of the StuG, with the speed of pitch of the StuG and the speed of pitch of the PzIV.
And I'm comparing the traverse of the SU-76 with it's pitch and the pitch of the T-34/76.

The pitch was controlled by hand wheels for tanks of this era.
I'm fairly sure it was on this very thread where TWI alluded to the fact that there weren't any linked gun sights. That pitch was done by the gunner using hand wheels for all the tanks, including the Tiger

I'm not drawing any comparision between the StuG's traverse and a powered turret's traverse.

What could be possibly slower would be PzIII turret (if it was really hand traversed, didn't check yet to be honest).
I'm not sure when a turret motor was added to the PzIII, BUT it was removed from the PzIII Ausf.N, as there wasn't the space.

Upvote 0
Tried the mut for the first time last night and it just seems....off to me.

Setting aside RO's approach to tanking (IE: 1-2 shots = dead), it seems that all tanks are a hell of a lot harder to take out than they should be. I know this has been mentioned here, but it is pretty noticeable.

The engagement I had was me in a KV-1S against a Stug III F8. Range was approximately 200-300m, so all well within penetration ranges. The Stug III was elevated probably about 25m higher than I was, on a rise, to my 11 o'clock (maybe my 11:30 :)). That's just to give you a rough sense of the angles involved.

Both of us were getting nothing but ricochets for probably around 10 rounds until he managed to score two penetrating hits on me.

Now, at that distance, something about that just seems...off. I understand that you're trying to distinguish between an actual brewing up of a tank and simply disabling the vehicle to render it useless, but like I said, these were ricochets, not penetrations that didn't kill (I could see where the shell bounced off and hit the dirt for both of us).

Now, I know that RO's engine has problems with close range engagements, or so it seems anyway. God knows I've had the experience in vanilla RO of taking [Tank A] to point blank range and still getting a ricochet when I shoot at [Tank B].

But I have to say I was pretty surprised at just how durable both tanks were. It's not as if this is a "German fanboy" mod, I recognize (if it was, my KV-1S would've died in maybe 2 shots and the Stug III would've probably had a Death Star cannon mounted...). But like I said...it just didn't sit right with me.

Most of my tanking "experience" comes from playing Steel Panthers: World at War. In that game, generally speaking, if you get into close range you're pretty likely to score a kill, often on a single shot. You can still ricochet sometimes (or miss), but you typically will score a kill.

Now, I'm not saying that tanks should be brewing up left and right. And I know you're going to model crew compartments and such at a later date (which will REALLY help, I think), but as it stands, tanks seem way more durable than they should be, given the ranges we're engaging at. If most of our engagements were between 1000 and 700m, sure. I could see where some tanks would simply be more durable. But when you start getting below 500m, even though it's POSSIBLE to get ricochets, it still seems pretty unlikely to me.

At the very least, you may want to post the data you're using to factor this stuff in, or possibly check the pentration algorithms. I seriously believe that vanilla RO's penetration algorithms are off, especially at close range. Possibly due to some factor being way over-multiplied, or due to some other gremlin that has yet to be identified. And remember, I'm talking purely about penetration data here, not about damage modeling. I can see where a penetration might simply be a "through and through" (although the combat effectiveness of the vehicle afterwards seems unlikely, what with spalling, concussive effects on the crew, etc.). But these weren't penetrations. They were ricochets. Lots of 'em. And that seems off to me.

Upvote 0
And what you expected by shooting russian 76mm? You think that calibre of this cannon is so big that should penetrate a lot of armors? First look at data penetrations of 76mm and than have some complaints. http://www.freeweb.hu/gva/weapons/soviet_guns5.html
76mm in AB can penetrate front of stug but you must be below 200m. As you can see on this site at angle 0 on 100m this cannon can penetrate only 88. So on 300m it couldn't penetrate 80mm front of stug beacuse stug has also a little sloped front armor. Somewhere are reports of russians crewmans and they couldn't penetrate side of tiger (80mm/0 angle) approximately on 100m. So all the more it should be that russian 76mm can't penetrate stug on 200-300m. This mod is not favoriting for axis side, just try to play IS2. All data penetrations and armor values are set historical if you don't like that you can't penetrate front of stug that is your problem. Try to be closer or shoot at side of stug. In next version will be debug mode, and you'll can check there how much you need to change your position beacuse angle is too great to penetrate it...

Upvote 0
I still understand the frustration because after "10" shots there would have been a lot of nasty fast flying debris on the other side of the armor - if it did not burst. Keystone even though it might not be able to penetrate it (with the first shot) it does not mean that it only leaves a scratch.

Upvote 0
And what you expected by shooting russian 76mm? You think that calibre of this cannon is so big that should penetrate a lot of armors? First look at data penetrations of 76mm and than have some complaints. http://www.freeweb.hu/gva/weapons/soviet_guns5.html
76mm in AB can penetrate front of stug but you must be below 200m. As you can see on this site at angle 0 on 100m this cannon can penetrate only 88. So on 300m it couldn't penetrate 80mm front of stug beacuse stug has also a little sloped front armor. Somewhere are reports of russians crewmans and they couldn't penetrate side of tiger (80mm/0 angle) approximately on 100m. So all the more it should be that russian 76mm can't penetrate stug on 200-300m. This mod is not favoriting for axis side, just try to play IS2. All data penetrations and armor values are set historical if you don't like that you can't penetrate front of stug that is your problem. Try to be closer or shoot at side of stug. In next version will be debug mode, and you'll can check there how much you need to change your position beacuse angle is too great to penetrate it...

I'm actually fairly conversant in the distinction between "big round" and "round that can penetrate." I get that shell velocity and composition is often far more important than the sheer size of the round. As I understand it, however, the 76mm Russian round was a pretty good round early on in the war at least.

The Stug III F/8 modelled on the map I played (Mannikalava or whatever) did not have 80mm of armor anywhere. (You're probably thinking of the Stug III G.) The F/8 had 50mm, which, as you pointed out, the Zis-5 that the KV-1S mounted could penetrate at 100m, 500m, and just BARELY at 1000m, assuming the gunner actually scored a hit at that range.

Now, with a little angling thrown in, I'll grant you that the 1000m shot probably wouldn't have done much, but at any of the other ranges, there should be a penetration. BOTH the Stug III F/8 and myself were having ricochets left and right, and at 200m distance. It wasn't just that I was pissed that I couldn't penetrate his armor. It was also that he couldn't penetrate mine. We were both just hammering away at each other, not accomplishing a whole hell of a lot.

Also, nowhere in my post did I say that the mutator favored the axis side. In fact, if you go and reread it, you'll see that I EXPLICITLY said mutator is NOT a "german fanboy" mutator. Go ahead and reread it. I'll wait a second for you.

Now, as I said, I recognize that the mutator is trying to model that penetration /= big ol' tank explosion. But if I WAS penetrating (and I don't think I was), then multiple penetrations on a tank should not simply be shrugged off. If I WASN'T penetrating, then we've got a bit of a problem because, as you pointed out, I should be penetrating given the matchup and ranges involved. Likewise, the Stug III should've penetrated me much earlier in the engagement, although he did manage to kill me in the end.

Now, what I'll really need to do is fire up Mormegil's tank range and the mutator together, and test out the effect of ranges upon the various cannons. I'll also need to try out different matchups at different ranges to see how they play out. But so far it seems like the armor is overmodelled or the penetration is undermodelled at close ranges.

Upvote 0
Solo. I take it the STUG Armored Beasts is modeling is the one with the 80mm of front armor because as you'll see you can only take it out frontally from real close range with the 76mm. Things are confusing because TW makes models of tanks then names the model incorrectly to leave casual people who aren't tank gurus (me) confused as to which model it REALLY is. But all in all the mutator is awesome and there's no way I'd ever go back to stock tank combat. Also I think there is a current bug with the mutator where a shell can penetrate your tank yet will display and sound like a richochet so that might be what's happening.

Upvote 0
That could be the confusion then. The name of the model wasn't matching up to how the model performed.

Still, it was strange that the Stug wasn't penetrating me either, wasn't showing as a penetration, and wasn't damaging me until those final two shots. Even if the 76mm is modeled as weak, shouldn't the 75mm L/43 of the Stug be penetrating my KV-1S at that range? I haven't checked the stats on this, but again, it seems off that we'd BOTH be hammering away with no damage occurring.

So, is this bug something that would: (a) show the ricochet outside the tank, (b) play the sound, and (c) not impart damage to the tank icon? If so, maybe that's what was going on. But if that's the case, that REALLY needs fixing or else it's going to confuse the hell out of people.

The thing was, I don't recall the Stug III in vanilla RO being anything other than a Stug III or Stug III F. I definitely don't remember an F/8 name. Maybe this is something the mapper changed, or it's something the AB mutator changes. If it's the AB mutator, the info I've found from casually searching online is that the F/8 had 50mm frontal armor, but that the G had the 80mm (either as 50mm + a 30mm bolted on plate, or a solid 80mm).

I'll have to try things out on, say, BDJ and get a sense of how well they play.

Upvote 0
Also, nowhere in my post did I say that the mutator favored the axis side. In fact, if you go and reread it, you'll see that I EXPLICITLY said mutator is NOT a "german fanboy" mutator. Go ahead and reread it. I'll wait a second for you.

Sorry but I don't speak english very well.

Type of stug in RO is as "G" and it has 80mm in front. http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/daj5zl/4-3.jpg
But if it would be mistake, StuG F/8 also had 80mm, 50mm had normal type "F"
http://afvdb.50megs.com/germany/stug3.html#AusfF8

Even if the 76mm is modeled as weak, shouldn't the 75mm L/43 of the Stug be penetrating my KV-1S at that range?
KV-1S is not the most heavy armored of all types KV. Has only 82mm in front turret, and in upper hull 75mm/30 angle. Check on what range L/48 could penetrate it. Some people might don't like this mod beacuse they based on their experiences from vanillia RO. So before next complaints just check first how it was in real.

And that bug with sounds will be fixed in next version.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've seen conflicting information on the F/8, which was definitely the model appearing in the map I played. I noticed it because it struck me as different. But anyway, I've seen the F/8 as being reported with 50mm of armor, and the early G models as having 50mm+30mm, and later 80mm solid. Maybe the mapper or whoever modeled the F/8 based on the sources you saw, rather than what I saw.

I also don't believe the RO stock model is the G because, as I recall, there was a loooooooong thread with people demanding the G.

Anyway, that's all beside the point.

The L/48 gun on the F/8 model should have penetrated my KV-1S much sooner than it did. Even angled, at a range of approximately 500m, firing Pzgr. 40 (APCR), the L/48 should penetrate 120mm of armor. Firing Pzgr. 39 (APCBC), the L/48 can penetrate 96mm at 500m. So, if the figures you mention are accurate, the KV-1S should've been penetrated on the first shot.

So again, it seems to me that tanks are a little too durable on both sides at least at close range.

Upvote 0
Duly noted. Obviously, that'll need to be fixed (peopel should get some indication that their tank has been penetrated).

If AB is aiming to be the premier realism mutator for armored combat, it's gonna need to model a LOT more by way of hit areas. Optics, gun elevation, turret ring (or traverse mechanism in an assault gun), and of course crew compartments will need to be modeled. I think road wheels should also become hit zones where, if you hit them the right way, your tank becomes immobilized.

One other thing to note:

At least in vanilla RO, the hull is not treated differently from the turret. Both are given the same angle/facing calculations. IE: if you angle your tank at an angle and range where it will deflect all incoming fire, even if you turn your turret backwards and have the rear facing directly towards the enemy, a shot to the rear of the turret will ricochet off (even if it should have penetrated).

I don't know of AB has addressed this, but it should.

Upvote 0
At least in vanilla RO, the hull is not treated differently from the turret. Both are given the same angle/facing calculations. IE: if you angle your tank at an angle and range where it will deflect all incoming fire, even if you turn your turret backwards and have the rear facing directly towards the enemy, a shot to the rear of the turret will ricochet off (even if it should have penetrated).

I don't know of AB has addressed this, but it should.

Yes this is absolutely fixed. The single armor value for whole tank, is split to separate turret and hull armor. Turret armor can be different than hull, also hit angle is calculated separately for turret and hull.

Upvote 0
I won't reply today, it's too late (2.49AM). Of course current armor modeling is simple (two armor factors, hull and turret, no armor angles (vertical) only tank angles (horizontal). It's first version of armor modeling. But the armor factors are calculated carefully using real data and should be close to CMBB ones in most cases. I can send you armor penetration curves and armor factors of tanks involved.
You can also run same test on 2.06 with debug enabled (in practice mode or debug have to be enabled on server if online play) and just see the results of your shots and why they didn't succeed.
KV-1 have hard time penetrating Stug's front (50+30mm) untill mantlet is modelled, the other way should be easier but I can't remember now exact numbers... with 20-30deg extra angle it could be impossible... KV1S FrontHullArmorFactor=9.4 FrontTurretArmorFactor=8.2. And KVs were hard to kill, even for early 88mm flaks. Not sure how hard they should spall, didn't investigate it yet.

In next versions, slowly, first better armor modeling and better penetration calcs will be made. And I mean much better, not only upper and lower hull. I didn't bother to make small improvements here as I plan big ones. And much better penetration formulas too.
Then some of things you mention, but remember that coding them takes time and work so they will not show at once. Crew and fuel hitboxes are most important and better damage modeling too. All other features (gun/turret ring jam, optics destroy, suspension damage) will have to wait. Some kind of spall (non penetrating) damage I will try to make during new penetration modeling.

P.S. As for elevation and traverse speed - of course you are right here. Traverse of tank and assault gun can't be compared, but the elevation speeds should be the same as they were both manual and both moved only the gun (without whole turret mass). And common sense dictates that traverse speed of Stug gun should be similar than elevation speed of Stug/PIV. But we don't know how fast elevation change really was in PzIVH.

I believe in RO elevation and traverse speeds are the same, so I can't change one not changing the other. At least easily. But maybe I'm wrong... Maybe elevation speed is fixed. Didn't check yet.

I will research a bit more and maybe I will find specs of Stug traverse mechanism. Maybe it should traverse faster. For example if it was turning 2deg with one wheel rotation, it would be twice as fast as I estimated - simply I had no good data to estimate. Please find how many degrees the gun traversed with one hand wheel rotation (and there were two speeds/gears usually). Or how many wheel rotations it took form extreme left to extreme right position.

But I would not look at PzIV elevating speed as I not sure if it was modeled to be historically correct... And if it's not simply the same as (powered) traverse speed... will check this one tomorrow.

P.S. And I said I will not reply now but almost did... ;-)

now 3.14 AM....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yupi ! Just found complete (very, very complete) ballistic tables of 122mm D-25 gun !! :-D A polish military manual from 1946. Accuracy data also. Wow, and 100mm gun is here too !! And 85mm gun !!! Treasures, treasures... 76mm gun... I'm sorry, but it says 75mm penetration from 100m... ;-)
Every possible data (velocity, ballistic drop, spin caused deviation, dispersion, penetration, whatever) in 100m intervals out to 3000-4000m.
Wow, coaxial MG accuracy tables for T-34/76 !!!

or TSh-1x sight reticle dimensions and examples of range measuring:

russiansightreticleki1.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0