• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Release: Armored Beasts 2.03 beta

ugh, I just read all these posts (in three threads), and I am bummed at myself for missing all this great tanking. damn! I did not think it was possible to fix it all up this much.

many of these things should certainly be incorporated into the next official update. I mean, it's all so obvious. :cool:
You are only NOW just discovering this mod? Oww I thought I was a late comer.... Yeah I literally stopped playing RO altogether mainly because of the totally um...not remotely realistic (putting it nicely) stock tank combat. Too bad more people don't want realistic tanking judgeing by the small amount of servers running this mod and on top of that the 3 players on the server....Same old story, extreme realism = niche/ thimble sized following. I have fun in practice mode at least (although I haven't touched RO at all for about 1 month now, no time).

Upvote 0
OK, it showed that it was not my fault :), just accidentaly noticed another game bug, just when releasing 2.04. I fired from T-34/76 with HE shells at Tiger and Panther tank, and destroyed them with 7-10 shots !!! Though I screwed something, but managed also to notice that when firing against PzIV this doesn't work, it's much more resistant to HE than Tiger and Panther....

Everything seemed to be ok in mod code, added some more debug and found the cause. The explosion from HE shells fired at the front of Tiger and Panther, somehow "hit" the ammo hitboxes of those tanks and damage was multipled many times. Even though it was later reduced to 3%, it was still quite big damage and destroyed Tiger in 8 shots. PzIV probably have ammo hitboxes not so exposed to the front and they were not "hit" by shell explosion.

So sometimes, depending on hit geometry and where the ammo hitboxes are, the HE shell explosion can "hit" them and multiple damage many times. Probably this not happens too often in multiplayer games, as hits come from different directions. This is also how Satchel charge explosion kills tanks (and I knew it) - the damage radius overlaps ammo hitboxes and multiples the damage, in other case Satchel would be not able to blow a 600-700pts tank with 550pts of damage :). Didn't realise that same goes for HE shells...

Now I have to fix this bug in code, but not today. As the bug was present from 2.0 then I think I may release 2.04 with it as well, and will fix it for 2.06. Will upload new file, let call it version 2.05 to be sure that it's not mixed with first 2.04 release... only checking if everything is ok.

Sorry for confusion but I was confused as well, not realising I spotted general game bug not 2.04 release bug...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, so 2 versions in one day :)

I'm deleting the 2.04 release post, changelog moved here.

corrected version 2.04 so 2.05:

changelog:

- in 2.03 I forgot to change mutator's class name so in server browser you could see what mutator version
runs on server (name was ArmoredBeasts2Beta). Now changed to ArmoredBeasts204Beta and will be changed
with each new version (note that the mod name remains the same, only mutator class name shows version)

- time after which an tank feels "abandoned" and teleports itself back to respawn (when you parked it
under cover and went on foot to scout behid an obstacle and out of LOS...) was increased from 10
seconds to 2 minutes

- time after which abandoned disabled tank blows up itself increased from 10 to 30s, and better use
it to go away because the explosion can kill you

- dispersion of tank shells idoubled in comparison to 2.03. This should better model real
tanks in combat conditions, than data used in 2.03 which was derived from test firings on a test range.
The less accurate guns, Russian 76mm and German 75L48 can now have some problems hitting tanks at 1000+
meters... to not mention the 75L24 which is worst of all and good to about 500-700m. It doesnt' mean
you can't hit, just you will miss quite often. The value of hull-down position with only turret extending
will now be higher as turret is 2 times smaller target than the whole tank...
On the other hand, on ranges like 300-500m you will probably not notice any difference even with 76mm,
maybe that you can't hit always the exact point you aimed at.

- tank MG tracers now travel at 0.9 speed of normal tank MG rounds (normal rounds arrive a little faster).
In stock RO it was 0.5 (twice as slow as normal bullets), in AB 2.03 was 0.8.

- the driver's unbuttoned (open hatch) view restored on IS-2, as removing the hatch restricted driver's
visibility maybe too much. Real drivers had the visor and two periscopes looking at some angle left and
right, RO IS-2 tank doesn't have them and visibility trough visor only may be too poor. Especially in
solo-tanking, for full crew it would be ok. IS-2 driver vunerability to small arms fire while unbuttoned
removed as it never had his head out, as we know that there were no hatch. We assume it uses periscopes
in unbuttoned view and stays under armor.

- tank shell damage (AP and HE) against APCs tweaked, as it was too low in 2.03 and vehicles were hard to
destroy with tank shells. Now 1-2 AP shells are needed for halftrack or carrier, HE shells are better
against soft vehicles and one hit always does the job. (note: AP shells are not designed to kill reliably
lighlly-armored or non-armored vehicles, they are likely to fly trough not exploding and making light ot
no damage, unless they hit something hard (engine)... or something alive...

- exploding tanks now makes real damage, random in strenght and radius. I got irritated with standing along or
even on top of exploding tank (when I managed to get out 0.01s before the hit) and survive even unscratched.

In real life it could vary from no explosion at all, just burning and ammo cooking-off or a loud boom and
hatches flying in the air, to enormously powerfull explosion with all ammo and fuel exploding at once and
parts of tank flying everywhere, some to fell to few hundreds meters away. Such extreme tank explosion could
even destroy or set on fire another tank standing by.
So now explosion radius and damage are random, one time you my survive standing on top of it, only wounded,
another time with powerfull explosion you may get killed from 10m or more.
So run away from tanks that burn or are going to be blown up by next shell.
Max radius and damage of tank exlosion is similar to 122mm HE shell (20m), or Satchel charge from stock game.

- tanks burn a little bit easier (now burns with 65% damage, in 2.03 it was 70%). I changed this that the damage
is same as for "Red" tank icon, so now when you are red you know you are burning... ("red" means 65% of damage
and I can't change this number now, so I changed the burning threeshold to be the same as "red" tank icon).

- Panzerfaust damage is still being tweaked... it was also made less precise at long ranges (it's now similar
to pistols in accuracy... but of course it fly parabolic so first you have to know or guess the range :)

- At last resolved problem with Panzerfaust pickups

- Panzerfaust explosion sound restored to default for now, as custom caused some troubles

- new bug found (in original RO) and will be fixed for 2.06

http://www.amizaur.za.pl/files/ArmoredBeasts2_Beta_2.05update.rar

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- time after which an tank feels "abandoned" and teleports itself back to respawn (when you parked it
under cover and went on foot to scout behid an obstacle and out of LOS...) was increased from 10
seconds to 2 minutes

Just be aware that if you are out of line of sight of the tank in any cap zone, upon returning you may not be able to reload the gun. Its a known bug.

Upvote 0
ugh... didn't know that... has to check this... is this in online game only ?

Hmm it didn't work anyway... I set it to 120seconds but still my tank disappeared after 10 seonds :-/
Panzerfausts on Valley of Death aren't replaced, have no idea why... on Arad they works just fine.
And have to fix those HE shells of course...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ugh... didn't know that... has to check this... is this in online game only ?

Hmm it didn't work anyway... I set it to 120seconds but still my tank disappeared after 10 seonds :-/
Panzerfausts on Valley of Death aren't replaced, have no idea why... on Arad they works just fine.
And have to fix those HE shells of course...

yes, online.

Upvote 0
Amizaur, would you be interested in replacing the tank MG sounds with some other ones? Because I've been messing around and I have 2 MG loop sounds I've almost done. They are taken from a Real Maxim & MG34 firing and they sound pretty good (though not perfect, yet). I tried to match the RPM of the MG34 & DT28 (which wasn't too hard seeing as one of the guns is exact, the MG34). They aren't ultra high fidelity quality but hey whatever, they sound good enough to me. I don't like the stock tank MG sounds too much so that's why I did it to make them sound more realistic. I can send the preliminary wavs to you if you want to try them out and see if you like them or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK cool. No I didn't do MG42 because I thought German Tanks only (or mainly) used the MG34. No, I don't know anyone with these guns, the sounds are sourced from various places on the web. Actually I'm not too happy with the sounds right now so I'm going to redo them. Hopefully I'll have them both done by tomorrow (or at least one).

Upvote 0
Sure, send them to me and I will use them if they are good - so almost for sure, if you say they are real sounds :). Have you maybe MG-42 sound recorded too ?? And more important question, do you know people who fire from their own historical MGs ? I'd like to ask some questions about first-round and burst accuracy/dispersion.

Amizaur;
Try this web site for Guy's that have their own MG 42 by a Guy that has his own MG 42! Not sure if you can contact them directly, but worth a look! Most of the video/sound thumbnails for MG 42 were working, but a few did not. Cool videos of a variety of automatic weapons being fired. Hopefully you will find his email address there some where, seems like this guy could answer any of your questions from personal experience!

http://198.144.2.125/MG42/mg42.htm

Found his email address at his site, good luck contacting him.

[email protected]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the burning tank idea, to where it eventually destroys the tank over a short period of time. Nice touch. Haven't played it enough to comment on all the ballistics though other than I can say I don't have any complaints against it. Come to think of it, that is probably a good thing. I generally play infantry 80%, armor 20%, so it may take me a while to play it more and develop more comments...

Keep up the good work :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.
In the startup batch file:

?mutator=ArmoredBeasts2.ArmoredBeasts205Beta
I did try this last night but it seemed to ignore it during startup.:( Maybe because I didn't have the below added to the ini.
You have to add it in your RedOrchestra.ini:

Under [Engine.GameEngine] add the line
ServerPackages=ArmoredBeasts2

Make sure to stop the server before editing the ini file and after the edit and a restart the mutator should be selectable via the WebInterface.
I'll give this a shot when the server empties.

Upvote 0