• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Relaunch when everybody is happy

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
While I don't know how something like this can actually be pulled off, but would it be possible to do a relaunch once ROHOS is how it should be.

Most reviews for the game are pretty bad, most word of mouth regarding the game on other forums is pretty bad. Overall the outside image for RO2 is not in a good state.

UT2003 was a pretty bad sequel and was widely not accepted by many players. However due to the release of UT2004 rather than continuing to path UT2004 come out to be a pretty good and popular game.

I just think that a relaunch would be perhaps benefit HOS more than merely pumping out patches.

Last edited:
While I don't know how something like this can actually be pulled off, but would it be possible to do a relaunch once ROHOS is how it should be.

Most reviews for the game are pretty bad, most word of mouth regarding the game on other forums is pretty bad. Overall the outside image for RO2 is not in a good state.

UT2003 was a pretty bad sequel and was widely not accepted by many players. However due to the release of UT2004 rather than continuing to path UT2004 come out to be a pretty good and popular game.

I just think that a relaunch would be perhaps benefit HOS more than merely pumping out patches.

I know metacritic is not the end-all be-all of things, but 76 does not reflect that "most reviews of the game are pretty bad". Even user reviews come out as average.

Upvote 0
I have thought about this too Zet, but it's hell of a gamble. Let's say they completely overhaul it, up to a state of RO1 cleaness ( bugs, balance, playabillity, of ro1) it must receive a very and I mean very good reseption if not the name of TWI will be tarnished.

Lastly how would they do this relaunch? Something like steam RO2 relauch new maps, sorry letter! It certainly will receive alot of attention and being rather "unique idea". But it could also go to hell, TWI being scrutinised and directly lying to all of their customers....

Quite the idea you got the Zet.. Crazy either way imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

What exactly do you mean by a 'relaunch'? As in repackaged with some extra stuff/fixes/whatever and sold again? Or is it free to those who bought Ro2? I'm guessing it would be the former for relaunches. In which case hell NO. I paid for this product and would certainly appreciate TWI far more if they continued with patches and free content than shoving it all into new packaging and saying 'Here you are!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WHAT THE!?!?
what is wrong with people today!?!?
picky people..
I loved brink and I loved ro2. still love both.. LOOOVE BOTH

Interesting to see if history judges HoS to be a failure similar to Brink - but while the latter phaps tried to do too much and fell short - a failure of the former would be more frustrating and bewildering ; and so i guess less excusable.

I like brink for what it is and admire it's boldness - and accept the levelling up and unlocks to be suited to that style of game - and think the way they are setup doesn't really cause massive imbalance or put newcomers at a significant disadvantage.

However an unlock progression system is something i didn't want to see in a game like HoS, and put me off buying it.
As it happens there are further issues reported that don't sound ideal - but this is the overriding one for me.
If there was a way/mode to play without progression/stats/unlocks i'd be interested again - call it a relaunch whatever.
It should be simple as it's only a matter of removing things - however it wasn't an option at launch (despite having a 'realism ' mode that seemed perfectly suited), so i know it wont happen in the future.

Upvote 0
What exactly do you mean by a 'relaunch'? As in repackaged with some extra stuff/fixes/whatever and sold again? Or is it free to those who bought Ro2? I'm guessing it would be the former for relaunches. In which case hell NO. I paid for this product and would certainly appreciate TWI far more if they continued with patches and free content than shoving it all into new packaging and saying 'Here you are!

Upvote 0
WHAT THE!?!?
what is wrong with people today!?!?
picky people..
I loved brink and I loved ro2. still love both.. LOOOVE BOTH

Its bacause ratings these days are on average are too high. Every year loads of games release with a rating of 9+ a 7.6 falls on the lower end.

I don't care much for how a relaunch could be possible, the main thing would be getting fresh reviews on the game once its in a good state. Especially if they ever add a dx11 rendering path, a Rising Storm expansion. Coupling them together in a Enhanced Edition, might get reviewers to vote on both games again. The key is exactly that getting reviewers to look at the game again and making new reviews.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there was a way/mode to play without progression/stats/unlocks i'd be interested again - call it a relaunch whatever.
It should be simple as it's only a matter of removing things - however it wasn't an option at launch (despite having a 'realism ' mode that seemed perfectly suited), so i know it wont happen in the future.

It is an option now (Oct 21 patch) to run a server without progression/stats/unlocks. However, it makes the server using the option unranked and therefore, because of the way the server browser works, more difficult than necessary to find. I agree with the concept of distinguishing between ranked and unranked servers, I just think they should collapse the tabs into one and make it a filter option. As it is now it feels like servers fear to become unranked because nobody would find them. Not that I hate the progression system, but I wouldn't shun unranked servers.

As for a "relaunch" I always got the impression that this is sort of their idea with free weekends. They've said they're not going to do free weekends until the game is more polished. I still think that saying that "Most reviews for the game are pretty bad" is factually incorrect. For example even if you say metascores are inflated, RO2 still fares above the average metascore for 2011 --and 2011 was according to metacritic, a "great year for games". I know "average," real high bar, right? But that's no excuse for negative exaggeration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some people have been happy at launch, Some people will never be happy. But the original launch of RO2 HOS was not that great. If the game would relaunch in like half a year, I think it could attract some of the people that bought the game but stopped playing nearly instantly, and perhaps get some new folk in.

DX11 + Rising Storm + Some maps + Logically loads of bug fixes and gameplay tweaks. Will probably warrant enough for a relaunch as an enhanced edition or whatever. As long as reviewers will review it again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(...)

DX11 + Rising Storm + Some maps + Logically loads of bug fixes and gameplay tweaks. Will probably warrant enough for a relaunch as an enhanced edition or whatever. As long as reviewers will review it again.

this including proper Red Orchestra mode.

Upvote 0