• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RED ORCHESTRA UNOFFICIAL TWEAK GUIDE v1.1

Divinehammer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Sunny, Obamalot
DISCLAIMER: This guide is a compilation of the original Red Orchestra: Oostfront Tweak Guide. Aside from a few small tweaks I have entered in the original post the rest of the information was generated by other forum members. Divinehammer is not responsible for what you do or how you implement the information found below. Please make it your common practice to backup your RedOrchestra.ini file before attempting any edits. This is good practice for all INI file editing on any software. If you need assistance with the tweaks please post to the thread and someone will assist you.
THANKS: Thanks to all of the contributors to the tweak guide, past, present, and future. Keep contributing to the community.
FUTURE REVISIONS: I will make every attempt to keep this guide up to date. New additions to the first post should be submitted via PM to Divinehammer. There is no way that I will be able to keep up with all of the posts if this thread takes off like the other.
RED ORCHESTRA UNOFFICIAL
TWEAK GUIDE v1.1
For those of you interested in getting the very best out of RO and exploring some options you may never knew to exist I have started this thread. Most tweaks listed are from Koroush Ghazi from http://www.tweakguides.com/and his UT2004 tweak guide (RO runs on almost the exact engine). He has done all the hard work finding and compiling the threads for UT2004 so all credit goes to him and his sources. I just simply reiterate them and add some RO-specific tweaks. The purpose of the thread is to compile any known tweaks into one thread to be supplemented by new ones so, by all means, post yours as well!

Also be aware that I am not posting tweaks that make the game have any less quality for performance increase. All tips either increase graphics at slight performance loss, no performance loss, or just increase performance with no loss of eye candy.

All tweaks done are at your own risk.

-------------------------------------------------

Basic Ingame Tweaks:

-Turn off mouse-smoothing- This has been known to actually cause more lag than smoothing. Unless it has changed from the mod to Ostfront, go ahead and disable this feature.

-(For ATI Users) Turn off HDR Bloom- If your textures seem blurred and you have an ATI card, it is most likely from the Bloom effect RO uses. There is a problem with ATI cards at lower resolutions. If you fit into this category turn it off.

------------------------------------------------

RedOrchestra.ini Tweaks:

You can find the .ini by going to C:/Program Files/Valve/steam/SteamApps/common/red orchestra/system/RedOrchestra.ini

Open with notepad.

This controls the amount of RAM used for caching models and other game related data. Helps alleviate the stutter associated with loading of new models and other game data. May help with FPS if your game stutters due to loading game data. Defaults to 32.

CacheSizeMegs=32 (tweak taken from http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Tribe...FPSVisuals.htm)

Listed under [Engine.GameEngine].

256 Megabytes of RAM or less
CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=128

1 Gigabyte of RAM or more
CacheSizeMegs=256

2 Gigabyte of RAM or more
CacheSizeMegs=512
(This tweak entered by Divinehammer, there seems to be some debate over whether you should use more than 256. This is the setting though that I use.)

Turn off PreCaching
Also in your redorchestra.ini under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
Change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False
and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
Change bNeverPrecache=false to bNeverPrecache=true
and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
Change UsePrecaching=True to UsePrecaching=False
and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]

Brightness=.8, Contrast=.7, Gamma=.8
"...the best video config is Brightness = .70 , gamma = 1.00 , and Contrast = .70"

Now, this may not look as good as it would in the mod because some settings may have been changed when the transition was made to Ostfront. I havent tested it enough to be definite about better quality but its listed here nonetheless. Edit: After some testing, the default settings actually look better imo. Different monitors will give different results so theres no harm in testing out your own configuration.

Go into configuration and go in under the menu "Input" at the top. Then untick Reduce Mouse Lag. This feature is known to take up a lot of CPU and do absolutely nothing to the average user. If you, however, got problems with your mouse moving in odd ways, tick it back on.
Listed under [WinDrv.WindowsClient]. This tip was taken from StrangFrik so Ill just post his original words:
"Long load times or laggy keyboard response?
I played around with my redorchestra.ini file which is located here:
SteamApps\red orchestraSystemredorchestra.ini
The two things changed in the redorchestra.ini are:
UsePrecache=True - bNeverPrecache=False.
They are now UsePrecache=False - bNeverPrecache=True"

DesiredRefreshRate=60

Found under [D3DDrv.D3D9renderDevice]. Set to the highest refresh rate your monitor supports at the resolution you play at. You can check by right clicking and going to properties/settings/advanced and then looking in the monitor section. While some have reported they cant tell the difference, anything less than 75hz bothers my eyes. Prolonged use of 60hz can damage the eyes supposedly. This may be the cause of headaches or other such annoyance while playing games for a long time so make sure this setting is right. Update: 60hz is fine for LCD monitors and should not cause irritation. The above applies to CRT.

LevelOfAnisotropy=1

Found under [D3DDrv.D3D9renderDevice]. This is just a built in anistropic filtering settings. Unfortunately there is no setting for anti-aliasing so there really is no point in using this over your video card control center settings. Leave it to 1 unless you want to disable your video card settings and use this instead.

OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False

Found under [D3DDrv.D3D9renderDevice]. Set to true.

Compressedlightmaps=True

Found under [D3DDrv.D3D9renderDevice]. Set to false for better lighting.

These Tweaks were found at the RaidersForum, much thanks.
UsePrecaching=True

This preloads graphics textures into memory before you actually see them to reduce in-game jerkiness when textures load "on the fly". If you have a newer video card with more video memory (64MB or more) then set this to True for smoother gameplay. Otherwise set to False for older video cards.

UseTripleBuffering=True
Set this option to True to reduce screen "tearing" (when VSync is off) and improve overall graphics performance. Using Triple Buffering may cause problems and glitches for those with less graphics memory (32MB or less), so turn off if you

Last edited:
Reactions: >F|R< Sarcinelli
Tweak Guide Continued

Tweak Guide Continued

Settings and Recommendations for Optimal Graphical Quality (ATI users)

What you will need:

-Omega Drivers
-ATI Tray Tools (included with Omega install)

Settings:

RO settings:

1. Obviously all ingame settings should be set at the highest option (except for bloom if it makes textures look blurry).

2. Resolution should be set to highest possible with a refresh rate of at least 75hz unless you are using an lcd monitor in which case hz does not matter.

3. Compressedlightmaps should be set to false as detailed above in the guide.

4. HUD- This is more preference than anything but I like my screen to be clear of all useles information. I have the compass off (who needs to kno north, south...you arent going on a trek across country), the clip count off (i just count as i spend them), the personal info off (its cool to kno where ur hit but id rather have it empty), and hints off. Basically i have no hud besides death messages and chat messages and those upper left hand messages. This is nice because nothing is fixed so I can have the pleasure of no hud unless alot is going on and then I only have the bare minimum. I like to spend more time surveying the battlefield than staring at some useless icons. All of these options are available from the ingame menu.

ATI Tray Tools Settings:

Right click on the Tray Tools in the system tray when its loaded up and then proceed to Direct3D. Here you will have an array of options.

1. Under Antialiasing, set it to 4x or 6x.

2. Under Antisotropic Filtering, set it to 4x or higher (4x recommended as it looks virtually the same as anything higher yet performs leagues better) and check "Enable High Quality AF".

3. Under Optimizations, check both options which are "Enable Antisotropic Filtering Optimization" and "Enable Trilinear Filtering Optimization"

4. Disable Catalyst A.I. This attempts to tweak games by itself to make them perform better. There is no real definite conclusion of whether it reduces image quality or improves performance with no difference. However, if you want to make absolutely sure that you are getting the best image quality, disable this.

ATI Tray Tools does not have to be left in the system tray for the settings to work. Of course the amount of quality you are able to get depends on your system, especially the video card. I hope this helps. Any further graphical upgrade is up to the devs! Thanks for taking the time to read the guide.

EXAMPLE SECTIONS OF REDORCHESTRA.INI
[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=False
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
UseHardwareTL=True
UseHardwareVS=True
UseCubemaps=True
DesiredRefreshRate=60
UseCompressedLightmaps=False
UseStencil=False
Use16bit=False
Use16bitTextures=False
MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
UseVSync=True
LevelOfAnisotropy=1
DetailTexMipBias=0.0
DefaultTexMipBias=-0.5
UseNPatches=False
TesselationFactor=1.0
CheckForOverflow=False
AvoidHitches=False
ReportUnusedTextures=False
[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
UseHardwareTL=True
UseHardwareVS=True
UseCubemaps=True
DesiredRefreshRate=60
UseCompressedLightmaps=False
UseStencil=False
Use16bit=False
Use16bitTextures=False
MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
UseVSync=True
LevelOfAnisotropy=1
DetailTexMipBias=0.000000
DefaultTexMipBias=-0.500000
UseNPatches=False
TesselationFactor=1.000000
CheckForOverflow=False
DecompressTextures=False
TerrainLOD=0
SkyboxHack=False
LowQualityTerrain=False
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

User.ini:

You can find the .ini by going to C:/Program Files/Valve/steam/SteamApps/common/red orchestra/system/User.ini

ConfiguredInternetSpeed=10000

Found under [Engine.Player]. Set between 6000-8000 if you have a cable (or similar speed) modem. I find 7000 or 8000 works best. For 56k use between 2400 and 3000.

Non-toggleable Iron Sights (courtesy of o0|REDRUM|0o from this thread http://www.redorchestragame.com/foru...ead.php?t=4598)

Scroll down the binds at the top of the .ini until you find the button you use for iron sights. Paste this on to the line: RightMouse=ROIronsights | Onrelease ROironsights

There is some problems with this tweak in that the gun doesnt always release when you let go of the button. Its rough but its the only option as of now.

Non-toggleable Objectives Map
Scroll down the binds at the top of the .ini until you find the button you use for iron sights. Paste this on to the line: O=ShowObjectives | Onrelease ShowObjectives
Where O= the button you use to show objectives.

Toggleable Mouse Sensitivity (courtesy of Mortisrose)

A nice little tweak to make aiming smoother is to toggle mouse sensitivity.

In the User ini. file choose a button:

Mouse4= or any button

Right after the equal sign type

set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.8 | onrelease set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 2.0

The first number (0.8) is the desired sensitivity with the button pressed and the last number (2.0) is your default mouse sensitivity when not pressing the button. Make sure the last number is the same with your own mouse sensitivity.

To do the ironsights and mouse sensitivity would be difficult as one is a toggle and one is an onrelease. But this should work...
Copy and paste this into your user ini over aliases 32 & 33....
;Aliases[32]=(Command="Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=100.0 DeadZone=0.1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoyX")
;Aliases[33]=(Command="Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=100.0 DeadZone=0.1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoyY")
Aliases[32]=(Command="ROIronSights|set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.5|set input p Newsightoff",Alias="Newsighton")
Aliases[33]=(Command="ROIronSights|set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 2.5|set input p Newsighton",Alias="Newsightoff")
Change the sensitivity to your liking

I used P in my example, for your key, change it to yours in both lines above "set input p"
Then add this to your desired key
p=Newsighton

Personally i just use a seperate key for both, but if this works for some then cool.

Actually just tested it and works as advertised

*******EDIT******
Just reread the toggle question and it sounds like you want the ironsights toggle along with the mouse toggle. If thats the case then here...
RightMouse=ROIronSights|set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.5|Onrelease ROironsights|Onrelease set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 2.5

Lean toggle same deal as above....

;Aliases[34]=(Command="Axis aUp Speed=+300.0 | Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoyV")
;Aliases[35]=(Command="Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoySlider1")
;Aliases[36]=(Command="leanleft | OnRelease LeanLeftReleased",Alias="LeanLeft")
;Aliases[37]=(Command="leanright | OnRelease leanrightreleased",Alias="LeanRight")
Aliases[34]=(Command="leanleft|set input q leanleftoff",Alias="leanlefton")
Aliases[35]=(Command="LeanLeftReleased|set input q leanlefton",Alias="leanleftoff")
Aliases[36]=(Command="leanRight|set input e leanrightoff",Alias="leanRighton")
Aliases[37]=(Command="LeanRightReleased|set input e leanRighton",Alias="leanrightoff")

q=leanlefton
e=leanRighton

Lean script doesn't work for me. Left is good, right doesn't work.

[edit]
FIXED!

You had an extra "t" in Alias [37], at the very end where you define the alias. leanrightoff, not leanrighttoff.
:)

Should be:

;Aliases[34]=(Command="Axis aUp Speed=+300.0 | Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoyV")
;Aliases[35]=(Command="Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoySlider1")
;Aliases[36]=(Command="leanleft | OnRelease LeanLeftReleased",Alias="LeanLeft")
;Aliases[37]=(Command="leanright | OnRelease leanrightreleased",Alias="LeanRight")
Aliases[34]=(Command="leanleft|set input q leanleftoff",Alias="leanlefton")
Aliases[35]=(Command="LeanLeftReleased|set input q leanlefton",Alias="leanleftoff")
Aliases[36]=(Command="leanRight|set input e leanrightoff",Alias="leanRighton")
Aliases[37]=(Command="LeanRightReleased|set input e leanRighton",Alias="leanrightoff")

q=leanlefton
e=leanRighton

Robot Voice Reads Text

bNoTextToSpeechVoiceMessages=true

Change that to false in the User.ini
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Misc.

Level of Detail EDIT: No longer available in latest version of Tray Tools

Unfortunately I can only provide this tweak to ATI users who have ATI Tray Tools. Load up Tray Tools, right click the icon and go to Direct3D, additional options, and click on Texture LOD 0. Change it to -2 to increase texture quality. Remember this applies to all games. You will find that scratches, cuts, etc. on player models are clearly visible and there is overall much more detail in the RO textures. However, probably moreso than any other tweak, it comes at the price of fps drop. I saw about a 10-20fps drop. The worst part is that you get a kind of texture "sparkling" effect on certain maps. It doesnt look that bad but it can be noticeable. If you really notice texture quality though this is a very good tweak to squeeze all you can out of the textures. Tray Tools does not have to be left in the system tray for this tweak to work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Console Commands (courtesy of Redrum)

Some console commands that may be helpful..

Stat commands
MEMSTAT - Displays Windows memory usage
STAT ALL - Shows all stats
STAT AUDIO - Shows audio stats
STAT FPS - Displays your frames per second
STAT GAME - Displays game stats
STAT HARDWARE - Shows hardware stats
STAT NET - Shows network game play stats
STAT NONE - Turns off all stats
STAT RENDER - Displays rendering statistics

Demo Commands
DEMOPLAY [demoname] - Plays the specified demo
DEMOREC [demoname] - Records a demo using the demoname you type
STOPDEMO - Stop recording a demo

Other Commands
BRIGHTNESS [number] - Changes the brightness level to the specified number
CONFIGHASH - Displays configuration info
CONTRAST [number] - Changes the contrast level to the specified number
DEBUG CRASH - Test crashes the game with an error
DEBUG EATMEM - Tests memory allocation until full
DEBUG GPF - Test crashes the game with a general protection fault error
DEBUG RECURSE - Test crashes the game by infinite recursion
DUMPCACHE - Displays the memory gcache contents
EXEC [filename] - Executes a file in the UT2003 /system/ directory by default
EXIT Exits the game entirely
FLUSH - Flushes all caches and relights
GAMMA [number] - Changes the gamma level to the specified number
GETCURRENTRES - Displays your current resolution
GETCURRENTTICKRATE - Displays your current tick rate
GETMAXTICKRATE - Displays the maximum allowed tick rate
NETSPEED [number] - Sets the net speed, default is 10000
OBJ GARBAGE - Collects and purges objects no longer in use
PAUSESOUNDS - Pauses all sounds
PREFERENCES - Opens advanced settings
THERE MAY BE SETTINGS IN THIS MENU THAT MIGHT HELP THE PEOPLE STRUGGELING TO GET RO TO RUN SMOOTHLY. I HAVE NOT DONE A COMPARISON BETWEEN THE ACTUAL GAME SETTINGS AND THESE. I ALSO DO NOT HAVE EXPLANATIONS OF THOSE SETTINGS USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
RELAUNCH - Relaunches the engine
REPORT - Copies a report of the current game to clipboard
SET [class variable value] - Sets a specified class and specified variable with the specified value
Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity [number] - Sets the mouse sensitivity to the specified number
SETRES [WxHxD] - Sets your screen resolution to the specified width, height, and color depth
SOCKETS - Displays a list of sockets in use
TOGGLEFULLSCREEN - Toggles fullscreen mode
TYPE [text] - Displays the specified text on the console
UNPAUSESOUNDS - Un-pauses all sounds

Combat Photographer Binds

For those who want to be able to get a clean screen on the fly and not have to remove the hud by going to the menu and wasting time, possibly missing the shot, type this in the console (x is just an exampe for the key you want):

set input x togglescreenshotmode

or

set input x showhud 0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To get rid of the intro maps, edit the RedOrchestra.ini file (it's located in X:\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra\system)
Change the line "LocalMap=ROintro.rom" to "LocalMap=NoIntro.rom" and copy this file http://lonyo.co.uk/NoIntro.rar to your X:\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra\Maps directory. (Or get a copy of NoIntro.ut2 from UT2004 and rename it NoIntro.rom and copy it over, the .rar is just that file pre-renamed for those without UT2004)

And you will go straight to the main menu of RO when you start up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lonyo said:
To get rid of the intro maps, edit the RedOrchestra.ini file (it's located in X:\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra\system)
Change the line "LocalMap=ROintro.rom" to "LocalMap=NoIntro.rom" and copy this file http://lonyo.co.uk/NoIntro.rar to your X:\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra\Maps directory. (Or get a copy of NoIntro.ut2 from UT2004 and rename it NoIntro.rom and copy it over, the .rar is just that file pre-renamed for those without UT2004)

And you will go straight to the main menu of RO when you start up.

What are the intro maps? do you mean the logos? I just see this cutting one click out of my startup to internet tab sequence.

Upvote 0
For those that have bNoTextToSpeechVoiceMessages=False

Code:
[Engine.TextToSpeechAlias]
RemoveCharacters=|:][}{^/\~()*
Aliases=(MatchWords=("gg"),ReplaceWord="good game")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("rofl","rotfl","rotflmao"),ReplaceWord="rolls on floor laughing!")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("lol"),ReplaceWord="laughing out loud!")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("thx"),ReplaceWord="thanks")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("np"),ReplaceWord="no problem")
Aliases=(MatchWords=(":)",":-)",":P"),ReplaceWord="smile")
Aliases=(MatchWords=(";)",";-)",";P"),ReplaceWord="wink")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("omg","omfg"),ReplaceWord="oh my god!")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("ns"),ReplaceWord="nice shot")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("hf"),ReplaceWord="have fun")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("mg"),ReplaceWord="machinegun!")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("gl"),ReplaceWord="good luck")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("cya"),ReplaceWord="seeya")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("gj"),ReplaceWord="good job")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("ty"),ReplaceWord="thank you")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("bbl"),ReplaceWord="be back later")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("brb"),ReplaceWord="be right back")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("bbiab"),ReplaceWord="be back in a bit")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("woot","w00t"),ReplaceWord="woute")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("woot!","w00t!"),ReplaceWord="woute!")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("woohoo"),ReplaceWord="woo who")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("np"),ReplaceWord="no problem")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("tk"),ReplaceWord="team kill")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("tker"),ReplaceWord="team killer")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("nade"),ReplaceWord="grenade!")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("pf"),ReplaceWord="PanzerFaust")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("ba","ba64"),ReplaceWord="Clown car")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("p3","pIII"),ReplaceWord="panzer three")
Aliases=(MatchWords=("p4","piv"),ReplaceWord="panzer four")

Upvote 0
Thanks for info.

I just dont understand how you people play your games so washed out though?
Just to see in dark?
Having gamma that high is INSAINE!!!!!!!!
I have my gamma at 1.5 or something. brightness at 7 or 8 and contrast at 9 i believe.

Find is so funny these 13 year olds that put gamma full blast. I remember that from the quake 1 days and i was 15 then and still didnt put gamma up even though everyone was doing it just to see in dark. Maybe your all scared :)

Upvote 0