• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Crash] Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 editor won't start?

Skull Kid

Mar 21, 2013
I get this.

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]
CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3075 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (1407)
General protection fault!
History: FD3DDynamicVertexStream::AddVertices <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetDynamicStream <- FLineBatcher::Flush <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw3DAxis <- UUnrealEdEngine::DrawAxisIndicator <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw <- (Cam=U2Viewport2,Flags=871270089 <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- WViewportFrame::OnSize <- WViewportFrame::SetViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenFrameViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenWindow <- WEditorFrame::OpenLevelView

And then this:

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3075 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (1407)
History: FD3DDynamicVertexStream::AddVertices <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetDynamicStream <- FLineBatcher::Flush <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw3DAxis <- UUnrealEdEngine::DrawAxisIndicator <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw <- (Cam=U2Viewport2,Flags=871270089 <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- WViewportFrame::OnSize <- WViewportFrame::SetViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenFrameViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenWindow <- WEditorFrame::OpenLevelView <- FALVoiceModule::NoteDestroy <- UALAudioSubsystem::NoteDetroy <- ULevel::DestroyActor <- (Camera myLevel.Camera0) <- UPlayer::Destroy <- UViewport::Destroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsViewport::Destroy <- UObject::ConditionalDestroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- UEditorEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Still the same

Still the same

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3342 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1172)

History: FD3DDynamicVertexStream::AddVertices <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetDynamicStream <- FLineBatcher::Flush <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw3DAxis <- UUnrealEdEngine::DrawAxisIndicator <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw <- (Cam=U2Viewport2,Flags=871270089 <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- WViewportFrame::OnSize <- WViewportFrame::SetViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenFrameViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenWindow <- WEditorFrame::OpenLevelView <- FALVoiceModule::NoteDestroy <- UALAudioSubsystem::NoteDetroy <- ULevel::DestroyActor <- (Camera myLevel.Camera0) <- UPlayer::Destroy <- UViewport::Destroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsViewport::Destroy <- UObject::ConditionalDestroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- UEditorEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Upvote 0
These are the exact errors I get, hope someone here can "translate" them in to understandable English :(
error.jpg

error%202.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes the Editor is broken, if you have the latest game update or revalidated you game cashe then it will not work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gqcnn5gn0z89zig

Take the files from this link and extract them to a separate file from your game folder.

DO NOT HAVE STEAM RUNNING WHEN YOU RUN THE EDITOR FROM THIS FILE OR IT WILL CHANGE THE FILES AND YOU WILL BE BACK TO SQUARE ONE.

To open the Editor go into the System folder in the new file and click on the RoEd exe (Application) it will then run.
This will be running independently outside Steam.

This is the basic RO files if you want to use any custom stuff then you will have to copy the contents from your game folders e.g. select the contents of your Animation folder and copy into the new editor one. You will have to do the same for Textures, Sounds, StaticMeshes and any custom "u” files from the System folder as well.

If you have been on a custom server that has some cool stuff you would like to use then you will find the files that were downloaded when you joined the server in your cashe file in the main RO game folder, these will need to be extracted using UT cache extractor which you can download from the net.

The other option is open the cache file and you will see files with long alpha numeric names, like this 00D0991B415D987A0A6E83A150D86D20-1.uxx in there you will also see a note file called cache open this and you will see the correct file names against the long Alpha numeric number like this 00D0991B415D987A0A6E83A150D86D20-1=DH_ROWeapons.u (DH_ROWeapons.u is the correct file name).

In the main file, find the corresponding number and rename it and remove the uxx bit, then copy it out to the correct editor file for that file type e.g. Texture file type is utx. (The one shown here is a system file so it would go in your editor system folder).

When you have created your custom content in the editor just copy it to the appropriate game folder.

REMEMBER TO CLOSE THE EDITOR BEFORE RUNNING STEAM.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes the Editor is broken, if you have the latest game update or revalidated you game cashe then it will not work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gqcnn5gn0z89zig

Take the files from this link and extract them to a separate file from your game folder.

DO NOT HAVE STEAM RUNNING WHEN YOU RUN THE EDITOR FROM THIS FILE OR IT WILL CHANGE THE FILES AND YOU WILL BE BACK TO SQUARE ONE.

To open the Editor go into the System folder in the new file and click on the RoEd exe (Application) it will then run.

This is the basic RO files if you want to use any custom stuff then you will have to copy the contents from your game folders e.g. select the contents of your Animation folder and copy into the new editor one. You will have to do the same for Textures, Sounds, StaticMeshes and any custom "u

Upvote 0
I will try this right away, if you would like contact me on PM with your steam information so we get in touch and start working on something.
I also have HUGE ammount of textures animations and everything READY EXTRACTED ready to use so we should think about how to spread this so more editors and mapmakers have it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

[URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?gqcnn5gn0z89zig"][URL]http://www.mediafire.com/?gqcnn5gn0z89zig[/URL][/URL]

This is the basic RO files if you want to use any custom stuff then you will have to copy the contents from your game folders e.g. select the contents of your Animation folder and copy into the new editor one. You will have to do the same for Textures, Sounds, StaticMeshes and any custom "u” files from the System folder as well.

If you have been on a custom server that has some cool stuff you would like to use then you will find the files that were downloaded when you joined the server in your cashe file in the main RO game folder, these will need to be extracted using UT cache extractor which you can download from the net.

The other option is open the cache file and you will see files with long alpha numeric names, like this 00D0991B415D987A0A6E83A150D86D20-1.uxx in there you will also see a note file called cache open this and you will see the correct file names against the long Alpha numeric number like this 00D0991B415D987A0A6E83A150D86D20-1=DH_ROWeapons.u (DH_ROWeapons.u is the correct file name).

In the main file, find the corresponding number and rename it and remove the uxx bit, then copy it out to the correct editor file for that file type e.g. Texture file type is utx. (The one shown here is a system file so it would go in your editor system folder).

When you have created your custom content in the editor just copy it to the appropriate game folder.

REMEMBER TO CLOSE THE EDITOR BEFORE RUNNING STEAM.

Hope this helps

OK, since I posted this I have come up against a problem that is so frustrating! And I have not been able to solve it.

Some moded maps will load and run on the server ok but some will load and run but no one can join the server nor me and I have the map!
I have tried all sorts of things including downloading all the server files and using those, re installing everything and revalidating etc with no joy.

I can take a map from the server that works change 1 minor thing build save and test in practice mode put it back on the server, it runs with no errors but no one can join, redo the same map back to what it was before and again it wont work put the original back and it works!

I have built a complete new map all works fine make a slight change like add another tank put it back on the server and again it won’t work!

There is another guy who mods as well and his game and editor has not been updated he runs his in steam and he has the same problem.

All this started after the Linux update and the server was converted to run the Steam CMD update tool so it shows in the server browser, its got to be something to do with this.

Tripwire, Can you please help with this and or sort the Editor so it works properly. Hundreds of People still want to play and mod the game but their enjoyment is being ruined by these problems and its not doing your reputation any good either. I have a great deal of respect for Tripwire and what you have achieved in bringing us the best WWII games ever produced, can you please please help!

My regards to all at TWI

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello

I have the same problem as described above and can confirm that the editor now crashes on startup.

The only way I can now mod is to use an old version of RO that I had saved on my PC that I had as a backup and is about 1 or 2 yrs old.

This says to me that the RO Editor was broken as a result of the recent Linux update. Even though the ROeditor files may not have changed many of the game files it uses have changed and now cause a crash to occur when starting the ROeditor.

Also, even when I make or mod an existing map with my old version of the ROeditor sometimes the maps run on the server but no one can join them. So there are 2 problems to solve:

1. Stop the ROeditor from crashing on startup.
2. Fix the editor so that the maps it produces are consistently enterable for players.

All the best

Alan

Upvote 0

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?gqcnn5gn0z89zig[/URL]

This is the basic RO files if you want to use any custom stuff then you will have to copy the contents from your game folders e.g. select the contents of your Animation folder and copy into the new editor one. You will have to do the same for Textures, Sounds, StaticMeshes and any custom "u

Upvote 0