• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra on Linux

Upvote 0
Sorry but Linux is obviously the superior Operating System. Mac OS X has outdated GL Drivers which cause a lot of issues with developers. Why don't you just boot camp Ubuntu 12.04 because it's free?

In the context of a 2006 title, a pissing contest isn't necessary. An OS X version would be good news: Even more players.

I think the quick appearance of a Linux port of Osty is fairly easy to explain though - the parent engine was already done, and they had a guy to do it.

Upvote 0
Sorry but Linux is obviously the superior Operating System. Mac OS X has outdated GL Drivers which cause a lot of issues with developers. Why don't you just boot camp Ubuntu 12.04 because it's free?

Sorry, but i have to disagree. While i won't dive into that useless which-os-is-better-debate at all (each os has it's pros and cons, it's a simple matter of choice and personal preferences), i think he has a valid point, considering that an OS-X RO1 client had been officially promised by TWI over 2 years ago, when Steam launched on OS-X alongside with KF.

So, it's indeed "a bit" overdue... and i too would be rather disappointed about that fact.

Sulman said:
In the context of a 2006 title, a pissing contest isn't necessary. An OS X version would be good news: Even more players.

Exactly.

cheers,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a Mac user I do not suppose we can have any update on where our version stands. It would be very much appreciated to have some kind kind of an update and any information about what is keeping it, or how long it might take. Do not expect an ETA, but something feed back would be nice(not surprised just a "we are still working on it" would make some mac users happy). Personally I am really looking forward to this coming to mac, played the UT2004 mod and was one of my favorites.

As for LinuX users, congratulations on getting support. Hope this helps keep this game going for when I can get on :).

Upvote 0
As for LinuX users, congratulations on getting support. Hope this helps keep this game going for when I can get on :).

I suspect so. Premium Linux titles - especially first rate games like RO1 - are hardly ten-a-penny right now, and those that are tend to have very long life spans on Linux. I'm confident that as and when the OS X version comes you will have folk to play with.

Upvote 0
As a Mac user I do not suppose we can have any update on where our version stands. It would be very much appreciated to have some kind kind of an update and any information about what is keeping it, or how long it might take. Do not expect an ETA, but something feed back would be nice(not surprised just a "we are still working on it" would make some mac users happy). Personally I am really looking forward to this coming to mac, played the UT2004 mod and was one of my favorites.

When we originally were porting RO 1 to mac we ran into issues that were not resolved until recently for the Linux build. It is back on our radar again.

Upvote 0
Nothing that has not already been said on it. Guessing nothing more can be said so I thank you for you quick response Yoshiro. Hoping it is not too long from now(although mac users are used to waiting). Also the way you put that makes it sound as if working on Linux has helped things along for us; if true then I guess we should be thankfully to Linux as well.

@Sulman Good to hear, hopefully Mac users can support the same(I do not think we have another native realistic FPS). Might just be able to get enough people to breath so new life into this old game.

Upvote 0
Problems with Resolution

Problems with Resolution

I'm using the Steam for Linux Beta and on starting the game it goes into a 800x600 fixed resolution.
1. Going to configuration to change causes the entire game to freeze when I select another resolution. Had to reboot my whole computer.
2. If I leave it and exit the game, my whole desktop has been changed to 800x600.

Any suggestions? I went into Default.ini in the game's System directory and updated the resolutions there but it made no difference.

Upvote 0
I'm using the Steam for Linux Beta and on starting the game it goes into a 800x600 fixed resolution.
1. Going to configuration to change causes the entire game to freeze when I select another resolution. Had to reboot my whole computer.
2. If I leave it and exit the game, my whole desktop has been changed to 800x600.

Any suggestions? I went into Default.ini in the game's System directory and updated the resolutions there but it made no difference.

~/.redorchestra/System/RedOrchestra.ini has the entries you need to change. Look for any items under 'viewport' and set your desired X&Y res.

Upvote 0

Join a game and then press a a tile to open a command and enter "setres 1920x1080" without quotes. While youre at it i also suggest disabling bloom which makes textures unsharp. Just enter "bloom" without quotes and press enter.

I had the same problems like you and i solved them with this fix.

Upvote 0
Darkest Hour mod attempts to force itself upon my system against my will.

Darkest Hour mod attempts to force itself upon my system against my will.

Every time I run Steam the Red Orchestra mod "Darkest Hour" attempts to forcibly download 5.7 gigs of useless mod. Why useless? Because it's not properly integrated into Steam yet! This means that any attempt to play this mod are met with "This mod is not available on your platform." Why is 5.7 gig of my hard drive being eaten up without even asking me first, especially as I've set this mod to NOT auto-update/download and never even ONCE did I ever ask for it to be installed? What's worse is if I download it completely, then set it to NOT download, then uninstall/remove it, it eats up 5.7 MORE gig of Internet bandwidth downloading it AGAIN each and every time I do.

I've tried to contact the makers of the mod, but they state that Valve will not communicate with them at all. Only with the maker of the PARENT game (that's you folk, Tripwire). They also state that you've known about the server browser breakage since Nov. 2012 and stated that a fix was forthcoming for that issue, yet apparently no such fix has arrived yet? So, let me thank you for bringing some of your games to Linux. We Linux users DO appreciate that, but please PLEASE fix these SHOWSTOPPER BUGS FIRST before deciding "Great job. We're done here..."

Upvote 0