• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red orchestra in the future...

One of the reasons that I come back to this game with long intervals is that when I first come on, even Danzig, I have this feeling of quiet danger around the corner.

I hear the gun fire in the distance, and then I start creeping forward.

I feel like this is the place, a slow paced, thinking first person shooter, team play easy to follow...

I am hiding behind a corner, leaning out to survey the area...

I hear gun fire close by, and prepare myself...

RAMBO runs around the corner scootin and shootin a spray and runs my corpse over heading on...

So much for the feeling.

I move on to another game. Then I think, why can't that feeling remain, what is missing?

Got to slow the running gunners down. Give us the ability to place trip mines, use a grenade with a trip wire, or something, to make them think twice about running and gunning through the game.

Well, that's why I don't stick around for long, bad taste in the mouth, and COD4, BF2142, all much worse in one way or another.

I end up doing projects around the house.

My five cents.

Upvote 0
Mods like DH will kill off "stock" RO. No doubt about it. At best, DH will split the community. Every mod of a base game does this once the prime time of the base game wanes. In the end you will have to smaller communities fighting over resources and players. It is a cycle that repeats itself.

As for the quality of any mod, that remains to be seen. I know from credible sources that DH, for one, has/had extreme issues with level performance. "Great" looking maps, but killing PCs trying to run them. If DH has corrected/improved those aspects, then perhaps we have a great project ready to hit the scene. Every mod team has had problems and continues to work toward the best product they can make. I will try the DH mod, but as far as my commitment goes, IF I continue any work for the franchise in 2008, it will be for the base game. Others will have to decide that for themselves from players to model makers to coders. To each his own. Come 2009 we can all start over again...well, some of us, anyway.

Slyk, DH runs just fine thanks very much, in fact we spent the last two months optimising so it shud run on even low end systems. In the last few weeks that we've basically had to put a stop to our work while we find these "sources" that keep leaking information, WIP work and files. Not saying that this is your source btw lol...seriously im not, wasnt being sarcastic or cute. I suggest whoever your source is though gets his hands on the latest alpha (if indeed he's a dev or tester) if he still cant run it i'd suggest he look at his machine because it is probably coal powered. We're spinning wildly off topic here so i'll keep this breif. There are a bunch of people out there who DH cut from the dev or test team with very early builds of the mod who keep saying "X" and "Y" about it, if your source is current thats fine but i really wish you would A) reserve judgment until we release and B) Encourage people who keep leaking information to stop, it's causing me a major headache.

If people seriously want a credible source seriously pm me, what the hell i've had that kind of week, ill tell you anything you want to know about DH because it seems no matter what we try and do people always seem to want to take a swipe at us. (oh and just for some extra info of our 4 or 5 almost finalised maps i can run all over 70fps on my machine).

p.s. and yes there is a lot of love for MN a project that is seeing a resurgence which i for one am happy about there are few more professional and decent blokes on the RO mod scene than those guys.

Upvote 0
Well put Aenease.

Seems like people are very quick to put us and MN down, While shouting the praises of CC and TWI.

Sure TWI deserve their praises as without them we would not have such a great base to start from.

If DH was not what most people seem to want, why do we have more posts in our thread ( don't say most of it is spam cos it ain't) than the other 2 mods put together ( sorry MN to lump you in there).

Our maps as Aeneas has said did have performance problems and still have a few issues to sort out, But saying that when you consider the extra content and the shear size of our maps, you will realise why performance is hit slightly harder than RO.

Yes it is true DH and MN will be a threat to the base RO game but games move on and players will choose which they prefer to play. It is then upto the less popular to either adapt and make changes to rival the new Mods or grow increasingly less Popular.

If MN and DH are promoted outside the RO community and gamers like the look of them, I am sure TWI will not be too aggrieved if they buy the game to play MH or DH, After all you still need to base game to play them.

RO is IMO still the best FPS out there, Just a pity it only appeals to a niche audience.

ExoCet

Upvote 0
As for the quality of any mod, that remains to be seen. I know from credible sources that DH, for one, has/had extreme issues with level performance. "Great" looking maps, but killing PCs trying to run them.

Somehow about 3\4 of cases with these "credible sources" are similiar as rumours around in school that "I saw Gary with some other guy! He must be gay!"

Maybe it's true, but every kind of "credible source" (unless it is clearly official info) should be considered with extreme caution. Some people may be spreading mischiefing information around, even though they may have something that makes sense or might be true. And even if it is a mod or game dev, they have even beter reason not to tell any direct answers about the content.

Alternatively, judging from earlier screenshots there has been posted about DH, it takes no "credible sources" to judge that with that kind of visual quality it will be questionable about the performance.

Upvote 0
The beginning of the decline of RO coincided with the devs not playing any more. They are more important to the game than they seem to think. I almost never see any of them online any more. In the mod and early days of RO they played and made improvements to the game based on what features they wanted, but since the game was released and updated it seems they took the money and ran. I'm sure they are actually hard at work on their next title, but the effect is the same. Come back devs!

i have not really noticed a decline, sure when another new game comes out then some RO players leave for some time. but most other games are really shallow, and its a matter of time for those guys to come back, or at least stay active.

the devs have (and are still) given us the best support ive ever seen in any game, but now it's up to us the community to take RO's fate in hands. its up to us to make mods, mut's, skins, vehicles and new maps. let the devs work on their new game.

i played COD2 for 1 year and it had a much larger community then RO, and all we had after 1 year was a crappy update, community made skins, a pair of good communty made maps and 1000 crappy maps. and some basic mutators.
RO with a much smaller community has already given it's players 10x more

Upvote 0
Why RO has such a small community is not only due to the gamestyle of RO but also the community yes the community itself. You may find that insulting in some way o_O but i have been in the RO community since it was a mod and the RO community is stuck in its ways still like an old man with his walking stick towards young people. If you understand what i am saying then you know what iam getting at.

If you dont understand just ask me to explain.

Upvote 0
what I would have done,if I was in charge of one of the mods(CC,MN,DH)is this...

Since the Ro community is smaller then other similar games,and it seems to be dwindling I would have released the NEW vehicles to the Ost front.

Give the Germans the Jagdpanther,Jagdtiger and King Tiger also the Panzer II.
The Russians could receive some Lend lease Stuarts,Grants,and Shermans.and some T-26 and some of those BT-whatevers that you see in the CC media.

Doing this would breath some new life into the ost front and keep players interested/busy until the mods can be released.

thats my 2 cents on what I would have done.

Who knows who will still be playing months from now if nobody does anything:confused:People are gonna find something else and then what?

Upvote 0
what I would have done,if I was in charge of one of the mods(CC,MN,DH)is this...

Since the Ro community is smaller then other similar games,and it seems to be dwindling I would have released the NEW vehicles to the Ost front.

Give the Germans the Jagdpanther,Jagdtiger and King Tiger also the Panzer II.
The Russians could receive some Lend lease Stuarts,Grants,and Shermans.and some T-26 and some of those BT-whatevers that you see in the CC media.

Doing this would breath some new life into the ost front and keep players interested/busy until the mods can be released.

thats my 2 cents on what I would have done.

Who knows who will still be playing months from now if nobody does anything:confused:People are gonna find something else and then what?

Morbius just because you see a skinned model doesn't mean it's anywhere near in game ready. For us to release that little list you posted would have meant that is all we would have worked on for the last year. The point is people can use our stuff once we release but we all promised a long time ago we wouldn't release something half assed and crappy and we still won't. People have been waiting a long time and we don't want to dissapoint them, even if people are leaving. What MN, CC and DH have acheived in 18 months/ 1 year of devlopment is astounding when you consider several mods for other games take 3-5 years to release! And sorry i didn't mention CC poly didn't mean to forget your mod.

Upvote 0
Nothing prevents people releasing some uncoded or half-coded stuff, but the moment it gets out the same moment everyone says "this sucks ***" and it takes less than few minutes to get word out for everyone that E.G. "DH MOD RELEASED A KING TIGER OHMIGOD IT SUCKS *** THIS MUST BE VERY BAD MOD AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!"

I'd rather see a pleasant surprise than demand everything to be released on the spot half buggy, half crappy and then complain how much the mod sucks because the popular demand about "plzzz just release them."

And still, the biggest problem is that since mods are made by people as a free of charge and they kill their own spare times to do it, if it is a bit larger project they try to do it right - not half-assed "It will be great I promise we uhm... well we have the King Tiger!" crap.

Murphy's law has some connection with this, since a high percentage of people are very impatient when it comes to some stuff. Its like the demand of all hypercamouflage WSS superninjasoldiers with every kind of bling-blings you can imagine - just because it looks "cool".

Upvote 0
Yes,you are right,it is better to have to wait for something then to get it released early when it isn't complete.
I am a CC tester,and you are right,that it takes time to mod these things correctly.
I was just trying to come up with ideas that would keep the RO community going while we wait.
I never really knew how involved modding really was,until I volunteered to be a tester.
I also just got a copy of a book called "Mastering Unreal Technology,the art of level design" It is 962 pages. I hope to educate myself a little with it, so I can understand more what all the modders have to go through.
It looks like a daunting task.maybe by the time I read and understand it all,they will have released RO3 by then!:confused::D

Upvote 0
Personally I think that DH and MN will do far more for Red Orchestra than CC or the work of Minionworkz/After Hourz or whatever they call themselves these days. By this I mean it will get more people back playing "RO" and by "RO" I mean the game not necessarily Ostfront maps. The reason being that the vast majority of people dont like the Eastern Front. Disagree if you will but when you look at all the popular WW2 games which ones focused on the Eastern Front?

Medal of Honour covered the Western Front extensivley as well as the pacific in later games. Call of Duty touched on the Eastern Front, but also covered the Western Front heavily. Brothers in Arms is Western Front yet again. The American/British/German armies are the most popular just because they are in so many films and games and part of western culture. So when you look at the the potential player base which RO is trying to tap into, you want to go for the common denominator. Im sorry but a BT7 or a Romanian faction isn't going to appeal to a gamer who doesnt like the Eastern Front to start with. Yeah those are great additions to the stock game and keep the current players interested but with everyone saying RO is dying with no players, keeping the current ones isnt really the issue. You need to attract new ones!

So when they come over to play MN and DH we can get them interested in the Ostfront stuff which they normally would not be. Hopefully TWI can co-incide some free play periods in conjunction with mod releases to give the public a chance to try them out and maybe even purchase RO. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0