• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red orchestra in the future...

It's not about "pure" vs. "impure." It's about people who simply don't enjoy any other kind of game aside from RO, and who therefore will be unlikely to try something else because they know they won't like it. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not throw around labels like "pure". I could just as easily say "closed minded", even though I don't actually agree with it.

Upvote 0
South Africa has been done in games before

A game has its time, after that time its up to the devs or the hardcore community to keep it alive. Take a look at [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Wolfenstein Enemy Territory thats still going with loads of hardcore players. For a gamestyle like RO its even harder to keep it alive as it has a smaller player base then say cod2 which kids play.

Most games set these days in the Western front are arcade based games for example MoH AB thats very arcadey and that is also why people are getting sick of that setting. DH on the other hand has a setting of Band of Brothers (which everybody loves) and has the gamestyle of RO put them both together and you will get the closets you will ever be to the Western Front.

Games like cod2 said they where real and had true settings, if you play DH and then go back to cod2 maps you will see how they are completely wrong so wrong the devs should have all got shot, but look at real photos of the Western Front settings then look at the DH maps and objects (such as tanks) and you will see how photo realistic it rly is.

As i am a dev and see the inside of the mod i can tell you we have passed what any REAL DEVELOPMENT TEAM has done so far for the Western Front and have passed even RO in realism and quality.

I am not saying this all just because i am in the dev team i am being honest here this is a truly impressive mod compared to RO. I cant speak for the other mods but i hope they finish and have a brill time as i like their settings too
[/SIZE][/FONT]

You have to bear in mind that a) The original RO mod would pull down the pants and rape any of the current RO retail mods just becuase they did a "proper" total conversion. We all started off with WW2 based textures, static meshes, weapons, animations, code etc etc. So don't go saying you have surpassed RO mod in terms of quality.

If your talking about the game, yet again think of all the legwork TWI did to just make these mods possible. If your new content passes RO's standards (which I highly doubt, not saying MN will either as neither of us are proffessional developers) then yes DH will awesome. ;)

Upvote 0
Oh yeah I forgot to mention CC in my post.

I am sure CC will be as good as they can make it, but it does help when you have TWI Devs actually helping them and answering their questions !!!.

Oh man.. what am I? brown bread?

:[

.. anyhow.. in my instance, and I know polygon has done this as well as Dingbat and alot of the other devs, many of us do help out in the general LD/Mod/Sound/3d/2d forums.. maybe not as much as we once did, but we do and have. So it's not like we are exclusive talent to one mod or another mod.

Aside from that, I garentee that the 'devs/former devs' aren't doing all the heavy lifting on the mods.. frankly I know most of us don't have the time to carry the mod.. so most of it's done by new or learning talent, plus alot of us mod-days crusties that are still sticking it out :]

Upvote 0
This isn't an argument about who's mod is better and who's isn't. The basic argument is a collection of facts:
1. RO stock is old by any game standard. Shelf-life is expired. Only core players will remain, few will come to the game unless dragged by a core player.
2. External mods will divide the current player base. Some players will return to the base game, some will play the mod, some will play both. Overall, player numbers split.
3. Development of any high quality takes a lot of time. Roughly six months to get ONE vehicle together from scratch. Depending on how many resources you need to pull in to help. Less if one guy does it, a bit more for two, more for three, etc. It takes time.

What our MinionWorkz team is doing is in itself a mod. We only realized that recently. The amount of content and the amount of new functionality being introduced is all possible by the contributions of many RO community members, and quite a few of those from the major mod teams. Hopefully our pending release will help each mod add some new content and functionality as well.

Everyone is doing something for RO, from players to mod team leaders. Each team has their own vision, goals, and methods. In the end it will contribute to the overall community, it is just a matter of what the community does with the content and options.

And at the same time, at this point in the game's life, I think it is a bit unrealistic to expect the game, a niche game in the first place, to hold a large player base this far into it's lifespan. The UT engine is complex and community content takes much longer to produce. Maybe that hurts too, hard to say. If you like the game, the mods, etc. do your best to support it.

Upvote 0
Slyk's right to get back on topic here. I really don't want to see this turn into some inter mod war thread :D.

I personally think we should a community led PR/Advertising drive like planetside did a few years back!

Slyk's right. Besides, all those arguments about which mod rules wil be settled when the Romanian infantry find themselves dragged up to the top of a pyramid and sacrificed at the altar in the Aztec mod.

Upvote 0
I'm with GonzoX on this one, too....I think you mis-interpret his theme. I'm sure he's referring to those that like the "pure" RO style of teamplay and teamwork to capture objectives as opposed to stereotypical CS Rambo. Just because someone likes and prefers the "RO" style of play does not make them "close-minded" or unwilling to try new things. I fail to see the connection between the two. I actually went out and bought CoD4. I play about 1/2 hour a night, get a new rank, get bored with it and end with a few rounds of RO. I enjoy the atmoshpere and gametype of RO, plain and simple. I also own Half-life, Delta Force, MOH, BF2, Jedi-Knight, etc. etc. They just do not appeal to me.

His use of the word "pure" described the thought well, I thought.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Floyd

I'd rather not get into a long debate on this, but basically a word like "pure" has a lot of implications behind it. The obverse being "impure", which can range from "oh, slightly tainted, no big deal" to "contaminaited". It also is a word that implies an absolute, objective determination. What that tells me is that whoever is using the word has a particular mindset that their way is right and other people's ways are wrong. To the extent that this simply means there way is right FOR THEM, hey, great. I PREFER RO's style, and for me, a server with a bunch of teamplayers is the optimal way to enjoy it, preferably on a map like Berezina or some other nuanced, complex map that showcases what I believe are RO's strengths.

But, to the extent that this implies some kind of objective standard, i.e. "I'm 'pure' and you're not, so I am better", then that's a load of crap. My way is not the "pure" way by any objective standard. It's just the way that works for me. CS is not my thing, but it works for other people. Neither is "pure" in the sense of "better by an objective standard."

And this isn't political correctness, by the way. It's just recognizing that my own (or one's own) particular point of view is not a universal absolute objective truth.

Upvote 0
RO is not dieing it is just distilling down to a more “pure” player base. The kids have run off to shiner new toys and left the pros to shoot it out.

Well i have played RO for almost 20 months and maybe some might disagree i have contributed the community. But quit playing RO for several reasons. Ooh and i'm not a kiddo.....

One of the reasons is the attitude in posts like yours Egg. This attitude is very common here and i'm almost convinced it's the same reason that many players doesn't even visit the board.
This "Pure" Playerbase thing sounds a tad to elite.......

Upvote 0
You have to bear in mind that a) The original RO mod would pull down the pants and rape any of the current RO retail mods just becuase they did a "proper" total conversion. We all started off with WW2 based textures, static meshes, weapons, animations, code etc etc. So don't go saying you have surpassed RO mod in terms of quality.

If your talking about the game, yet again think of all the legwork TWI did to just make these mods possible. If your new content passes RO's standards (which I highly doubt, not saying MN will either as neither of us are proffessional developers) then yes DH will awesome. ;)

M8 re-read what i said, i said [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"Western Front and have passed even RO in realism and quality." m8 a mod can be better then the orginal by having more skilled devs that can make better quality work and are more skilled in their are of work. I have been in mod teams before so its not like i dont know what iam talking about. Nuclear Dawn has extremely good devs helping that are making the quality in the way of graphics details better.

Real devs have always said that mod teams are better as they are more free to do things rather then be hold back by retail constraints.

But thats me finished :) beer anybody ?

oh and do TW have a community manager/public relations ?
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0