• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orch vs DOD

FuzzDad said:
RO:O: How incredibly hard it is to play as a newb in RO:O. I can pick up just about any fps and handle myself fairly easily but not so w/RO:O. My time is precious so it's tough to make a committment to a game like this. I think this is the single reason why player counts are not really high.

As a flightsimmer, you should know this is nothing compared to learning VOR to VOR navigation, ADF Nav using triangulazation, DME timing and ground-speed calculations, dead reconing, structural and carburator icing conditions, airspace restrictions, radio opperations, and IFR conditions and ILS landing.

Not to flame you here or anything, please dont take it that way, im just saying it could be much much worse ;)

On the whole DoD/RO thing, you know, i loved the mod days of DoD, it never had the level of realims i wanted but somehow, it was just plain fun! i cant say the same for this new Source version however, to me, its lost its spark, it feels like Quake with tommyguns, i wanted to like it, but i cant.

RO on the other hand, is exactly what a realism nut like me allways wanted, and the eastern front theme just makes it all that much sweeter.

Upvote 0
Do you remember the gibs in the old dod? The hill on cherbourge? I would laugh myself to death watching peoples parts slide down that hill from nade spammers. But yeah its hard to get that kinda fun anymore. Dont get me wrong folk's realism i like alot. Its just feals it needs abit of speed in spots. Keep things moving, tired of watching teamates hang back and camp building's while im the only guy rushing to get it back, constantly. Every infantry map is the same. you have about 9 guys outa a possible 16 sitting there cooking marshmellows waiting for a shot. Real life if i was there officer id shoot them myself for cowardness hehe

Upvote 0
Well Veggie, pick an SMG or semiauto-rifle class and go nuts, the Riflemen are not really there to storm buildings, they are not equipped for it, you get one shot and then its meele, any enemy SMG'ers in the building will mop the floor with them.

You have to play your class, rushing into a building to certain death with a bolt-lock rifle will only drag your teams respawn limit down, send in the SMG'ers instead.

Thats the name of the game, you cant dominate the map and do all things with one weapon, thats why there are classes, they all have a job to do, and the Rifleman's job is to thin out the enemy's ranks at medium to long range, not to storm buildings.

Upvote 0
No offence intended. Ok so i dont like cod2, nor do i really like dod source, but i play it. And i know im not going to do much with a one shot rifle taking a house. But where are my SMG guys in the game? I see them, never get to actually see them do any good though. More luck with my one banger and a crosscheck. I know i do it alot. And all im saying people is limit the overpowering guns......mg's,sniper rifles and give me more to choose from or better recoil on the smg's so people actually do some good with them. You guys must play on different servers than me because i havent seen these amazing real life players you guys talk of in game. Actually doing what there supposed to, like shoot guys and move up. No they just lay there the whole map till someone kills them. Rediculouse really. Im all for gameplay man. Make it fun for the other 80% of the community by just fixing some guns. Anyone screams realism again should have there head examined. Its a game always will be. Just speed it up abit. but i think i said enough. First post and every picks it apart like its surgery. And i by no means suck at this game. so this is not why im here ranting. So all ego's out the window on this one lmao
And Grob whats the first thing that comes to mind when you think of DODS? How the guns performed right? Well thats the same thing i see at Lan party's when playing RO. People shun away from it after 45 minutes. Its crazy i know but its true.
RO you could be so much more to soo many ;)

Upvote 0
No point talking about it, if your team doesen't seem to know what they are supposed to do tell them (politely), and if that doesen't work, find another server where people are more into it, thats what i do.

Many newbies will just lie there, i see that often, give them some time, they will get the flow eventually, they are buissy just learning how to move around on the maps and using the guns, it'll come.

You can usually tell the seasoned players from the newbies, they will be more focused on getting to the objectives, and a dead give-away is when you can tell they allready know the good places to set up defense, and have a feel for where they should be going according to how the fight is going.

Follow thouse players, cover them, they will usually return the favour, and form a nice little team, once you find a player who will go with the flow like that it gets good!

Upvote 0
This is starting to stray pretty far from the original topic but you're absolutely right Grobut. Nothing worse than playing on the German side on Kaukasus and trying to storm the courtyard with fixed bayonets and your team's only MP40 is holed up in the tower, sniping... unless it's playing as the Russians and your team's only DP-28 wants to play Rambo instead of setting up and suppressing the enemy from long-range. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Veggie said:
No offence intended. Ok so i dont like cod2, nor do i really like dod source, but i play it. And i know im not going to do much with a one shot rifle taking a house. But where are my SMG guys in the game? I see them, never get to actually see them do any good though. More luck with my one banger and a crosscheck. I know i do it alot. And all im saying people is limit the overpowering guns......mg's,sniper rifles and give me more to choose from or better recoil on the smg's so people actually do some good with them. You guys must play on different servers than me because i havent seen these amazing real life players you guys talk of in game. Actually doing what there supposed to, like shoot guys and move up. No they just lay there the whole map till someone kills them. Rediculouse really. Im all for gameplay man. Make it fun for the other 80% of the community by just fixing some guns. Anyone screams realism again should have there head examined. Its a game always will be. Just speed it up abit. but i think i said enough. First post and every picks it apart like its surgery. And i by no means suck at this game. so this is not why im here ranting. So all ego's out the window on this one lmao
And Grob whats the first thing that comes to mind when you think of DODS? How the guns performed right? Well thats the same thing i see at Lan party's when playing RO. People shun away from it after 45 minutes. Its crazy i know but its true.
RO you could be so much more to soo many ;)

Man i've gotten 10 smg kills in a row not often but once or twice trust me i say this but smgs are if used correctly easy to get kills with. Also what do you expect if you start calling for a change to game mechanics and watering down the realism, alot of us love things they are unique in an online game so i and others may react and say we totally dis-agree. Also there are great team players playing the game the thing i did was once i saw a teamplayer i added him to my buddy list so now i can allways find people willing to play as a team.

Upvote 0
Slotter said:
Big Problem,
I have a 2 GB download limit on my broadband connection, judging from the game manual I need 2GB of space free on my HD (no problem there), but how big file size is the initial RO download.

I suspect that it won't be far off the limit I have so I might just be able to download it, but I won't be able to use it until the next month when my download counter resets.

Looking at the UK Game shops, no one appears to see RO on disk.

It would appear that I am stuffed :mad:

I remember the download being like 600 for the first pre-load then another 100mb for the second preload. The game uncompressed would be 2 gig's but Steam uses a compression system to reduce the size of the .gcf files. You download 700mb but steam reserves 2 gb's for the game.

Upvote 0
You can compare both games all you like, it's still like comparing apples and oranges.

I like RO for the total immersion. For me, this is the first game in which teamplay is actually VITAL, not only awarded or indeed incouraged. Players see this, since not playing as a team gets them killed. So they leave, or stay en stick with this game. The stickers are RO-players, the quitters are better off playing DoD.

Running around rambo-style is more DoD-style. I like both games. I have played DoD to death ever since 3.1b, and still do in LAN-parties. But on the net, the only thing for me is RO.

btw, DoD:S is just silly and sucks donkeyballs, worst 20 bucks I ever spent.

Upvote 0
The old DoD will always be listed as probably my favorite and most played game of all time. ROOST has taken it's place time wise though. I really like this game a lot. As far as Fuzzdads comment about the horsepower requirements running players away from DoD:S, I have to call BS on that. It's the gameplay that did it. MANY of us old timers had nothing but high hopes for source and were horribly let down by it. Almost every single person I ever played DoD with has since migrated over to RO because of it.

Fuzzdad, I really appreciate what you guys did with dod from 2001 on, and I actually owe you guys a lot for allowing me to make some great friends through that game. Unfortunatly, Source forced us to move on. RO is a great game, and moving away from DoD alowed us to become a part of this community and I have no regets what so ever. I'll always have fond memories of the 5 years I played DoD, now it's time to make some new ones with RO.

Upvote 0
No offense taken. I think a lot of guys summed it up here as both games appeal to different players or different parts of a player. No one game is "better" or "worse" than the other except in the eye of the beholder. People can talk sales and continued player base (DOD:S has the advantage) but that's not all there is to a game. Games like RO:O and DoD bring people together to form communities of players and it's those communities who have the final say. When a few gamers say they "hate" a game or that game "sucks" or the devs "sold out", they're idiots with no perspective outside their cloistered world and it usually means nothing. However, when bunches of gamers jump ship and there's no replacements for them...that's a real failure.

I'm not sure if we can call either RO:O or DoDS a qualified success or failure yet. Both games appear to have made their owners plenty of cash and both games have had a fair share of decent reviews, yet both games have lost some of their playing base. DoDS lost some hard corps players but recently picked up both older players and newbs w/code changes and the free weekend (there's a big release coming w/fixes to the players hit boxes as well). Time will tell if RO:O will need to do something to bolster their player base but I fear for the game because I'm not sure RO:O is picking up a lot of players from anywhere right now...it seems like the same old crowd with a few newbs sprinkled in. The good news is because I think Tripwire made money and it looks like they are fully committed to supporting the game, you guys who stick around will have great impact over the future direction of the game...even if the game remains a small niche who's to say that's not a good thing?

Different strokes for different folks. BTW...as a mapper I really appreciate the detail and the "look" of the RO:O maps...quality stuff.

Upvote 0
Well, I've always loved your maps. Your a top quality mapmaker for sure...glider is still one of my favorite maps anywhere. You know, I'd love to see a close combat style map for RO...something tight and menacing. it would be a nice change from the wide open spaces...just as the wide open spaces were a nice change from the tight quarters of dod. You ever done, or thought about doing a RO map? :)

Upvote 0
i played about 8 total hours of DoD:S, and I found it to be super "arcadish" and "gamey". alot of spray & pray and run & gun. I think I basically played it to tide me over until RO:O came out. the last moment I was playing, before I quit the map & server, I was thinking "jeebus, what am I doing? this is awful.."

I disconnected and never played again.

Upvote 0