• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orch vs DOD

Pick your poison.
I've played dod for only a couple of years. I love playing source. I like the way the game looks and I like the way the game plays. I feel like I hear players near me better in source than RO. I like the ambient sounds in source more than RO. I like the fact that iron sites are on rifles only. To me that just makes sense. I wish they would add some weapons they left out of the original dod. I wish they had a beach map, and some official open area maps.

I also love playing red orchestra. I like the tank battles in RO. I like the strategy required in RO. I like the atmosphere in RO. One thing that RO really demands is that people play as a team. I've been left behind by jokers taking the transports making me walk a long way to even get to the action. (Thats not a negative on RO just the jackasses who do it to me.)

It just depends on how I feel when I walk into my basement at night, which game I'll be playing.

Upvote 0
EvilAmericanMan
Hrm. Eats YOUR fps. THe Source engine is along with Crytek the most optimized engine out. I can run things on full and run smoothly. First complaint I've seen of this.
I'm refering to DoD:S only, and this has come up many a time in the official DOD forums. Compared to CS:S, DoD:S is about 1.5x harder on your system (or at least on mine).
Oldih
Well actually, in classic DoD, if you just have some sort of aiming skill, SMG can be more deadlier than Kar at long ranges. I

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Compareing RO and DOD:S is like compareing half life to doom.

I was a full time DOD:S player but then it got boreing so converted to RO. Even though im really poor out of a tank on RO unless i get a sniper rifle i still find it fun, atmosphere is everything. The running past tanks as they fire, bullet effects and just general gameplay is brill.

DOD tends to be more doom like (Hitting people with rifles while running, panzer is an anti infantry weapon etc)

However RO had one thing i LOVED about games like battlefield 2, for example takeing out tanks on foot and tank action. The only bad thing is no air action, but i dont think it would suit the game.

Upvote 0
Ever since I first touched RO as a mod I've been hooked.
Useta play a ton of DOD, MOHSH, Flashpoint, BF, COD ect ....not anymore or for a loooooooong time.

Only game I play now besides Ostfront is the BF42' Mod Forgotten Hope..great mod :)

Ostfront just seems to contain all of the elements I really enjoy in an fps.
The potential for teamwork is so cool
WWII scenario
The weapon dynamics are great
I like most of the maps
The community is tight..

What else can I say? Ostfront personifies a game that is not only a learning experience but one that keeps evolving positively through TW's attention to detail and love for it..and that to me is cool.

Sold $

Upvote 0
I like them both. For me they offer completely different ways to play. IMO the teamwork on both is rewarding regardless if it's fast-n-furious like DoD or slower-paced like RO:O. Both games take a lot of resources to run, DoD is tight combat w/incredible map detail while RO:O is more long-ranged combat on less detailed but much more varied maps. The Flight Simulator guy in me likes teh RO:O challenge while the ex Doom guy in me loves the fast-paced deathmatch feel of DoD. The only down-sides for me:

RO:O: How incredibly hard it is to play as a newb in RO:O. I can pick up just about any fps and handle myself fairly easily but not so w/RO:O. My time is precious so it's tough to make a committment to a game like this. I think this is the single reason why player counts are not really high.

DoDS: How hard DoDS is on PC's...the single driving fact (not accuracy) that puts most people off DoDS is the incredible amount of PC horsepoiwer you need to run it at acceptable frame rates. The old-timers would argue accuracy is what's keeping DoDS back but the average PC on the Steam hardware would run DoDS at a crappy fps. More than 10 players on the screen at once causes client perf problems as well. I think this is the single reason why player counts are not really high.

Upvote 0
Big Problem

Big Problem

Big Problem,
I have a 2 GB download limit on my broadband connection, judging from the game manual I need 2GB of space free on my HD (no problem there), but how big file size is the initial RO download.

I suspect that it won't be far off the limit I have so I might just be able to download it, but I won't be able to use it until the next month when my download counter resets.

Looking at the UK Game shops, no one appears to see RO on disk.

It would appear that I am stuffed :mad:

Upvote 0
Like most have said here, they each have their own merits, and are similar yet very different. That said, I haven't played DoD since ROOST came out. I'd certainly reccomend it. But that's not to say I'd never play it again -- I'm just hooked on RO for now.

RO certainly, in my opinion, has managed to live up to its goal of creating a more strategic, teamwork-oriented experience rather than a game based on reflexes. Not to say that DoD is a pure arcade/reflex game -- but it sure seems like one in comparison!

Upvote 0
Only game I play now besides Ostfront is the BF42' Mod Forgotten Hope..great mod

With the expections of overbalance in several points and like you see some very common stuff (I mean which was used commonly in war) like in one map while some total uncommon stuff you see all the time around ;)

Ahh see I never played any version of DoD competitively, I could have, but its just not my cup of tea.

Np.

Upvote 0
Ok here goes. i'm a old dod player from back when they were really young like i think they had 1 patch. Way b4 retail was even a posibilty. Also play alot of BF2 and Dod source. So been playing online shooter's along time. First of all RO is a beutifully done game. Just afew fun factors are lacking. killing it though it seem's by the look of the amount of player's on the server's. Boy do they need some traffic.Boy do i hope they get it!:)
First off is the gun's. You cant limit people to bolt action rifles,which 95% of the time is all people get to pick from. it makes people that can use them well feal like there kicking ass, but the newbie is a dead man. thus he wont play long if all he can get is a pop gun. ever watch a newb try and rush a house with a bolt action? it's pitiful. So as a newbie i would think the fun factor or run and die is not a good one. Hate to say it, but if you want traffic u need to simplify some things aswell. Like reloading and picking up weapon's. These things Dod has and they work well.
Another thing is the speed of the game. Which is fine, but i still think it's slowed down by people who are scared to rush a building with one shot rifle's. This game would rock with the speed of day of defeat's run and gun attitude on the bigger maps. And the iron sights and reloads are sooo slow. If i raised my .308 that fast the deer would be gone, hehe. No i dont hunt, but i do shoot. And the flash on the gun barrel. Ive never fired a gun that blinded me from muzzle flash....mg. Also noticed for WW2 this game is soo quiet you can hear a pin drop. I wanna hear gunfire. Lot's of it, like call of duty,insane amount's it almost gives u a headache. give the people guns so they can let the lead fly.
Realism is nice concept folk's. but by the look of the player count it doesn't fill server's. Game is soo nice, now you just need to make it more fun. Let the patches fly guy's as i know this game could so put a beating on the online community base, people would flock to this game. Well done RO Team.
And before everyone goe's on a flame fest. TRAFFIC!!!!! No traffic no game. just throwing out a suggestion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Veggie said:
Ok here goes. i'm a old dod player from back when they were really young like i think they had 1 patch. Way b4 retail was even a posibilty. Also play alot of BF2 and Dod source. So been playing online shooter's along time. First of all RO is a beutifully done game. Just afew fun factors are lacking. killing it though it seem's by the look of the amount of player's on the server's. Boy do they need some traffic.Boy do i hope they get it!:)
First off is the gun's. You cant limit people to bolt action rifles,which 95% of the time is all people get to pick from. it makes people that can use them well feal like there kicking ass, but the newbie is a dead man. thus he wont play long if all he can get is a pop gun. ever watch a newb try and rush a house with a bolt action? it's pitiful. So as a newbie i would think the fun factor or run and die is not a good one. Hate to say it, but if you want traffic u need to simplify some things aswell. Like reloading and picking up weapon's. These things Dod has and they work well.
Another thing is the speed of the game. Which is fine, but i still think it's slowed down by people who are scared to rush a building with one shot rifle's. This game would rock with the speed of day of defeat's run and gun attitude on the bigger maps. And the iron sights and reloads are sooo slow. If i raised my .308 that fast the deer would be gone, hehe. No i dont hunt, but i do shoot. And the flash on the gun barrel. Ive never fired a gun that blinded me from muzzle flash....mg.
Realism is nice concept folk's. but by the look of the player count it doesn't fill server's. Game is soo nice, now you just need to make it more fun. Let the patches fly guy's as i know this game could so put a beating on the online community base. Well done RO Team

Man you miss the point of this game completely this game was never supposed to be noob friendly it was never supposed to be dod.s or cod2 with bigger maps or tanks if we were to take your advice i'm sorry the say the mature long standing ro community here would pack up and leave. To be honest man the reason some people find this game fun is because of the realism and the fact it doesnt try to be noob friendly, i find ro gameplay much better than anything dod.s cod2 offers.

Upvote 0
Actually i didnt miss the point at all man. I played RO when it was UT2002 i cant remember honestly it was RO and they always always stated realism. So yeah i know the game man, when it had what 12 servers? and hardly any were ever full. Atleast when i played. So yeah you can "Realism" as loud as you like. That dont fill the server!!!!
My suggestion was to get these hardworking guys some traffic and fame and money!!! hahaha

Upvote 0
Well i was pretty disappointed by DoD:S. Didn't like the new weapon damage, the new arcade gameplay and the fact that there are no bots and there probably never will be.

At first i was afraid to buy RO, incase it turns out to be just another waste of money like DoD:S, but then i just gave it a shot and all i can say is:"Wow!" I love the realism! The tanks are cool! And this game actually has bots (even if they are stupid).

Never gonna play DoD:S ever again.

Upvote 0
Yeah i too was disapointed with dod source. But not alot to pick from these days. I play alot of BF2 but the maps are like golf course's. One of the best things about RO is the map's. So much cover and well placed static object map item's, bunker's sand bags, bombed out stuff i love it.. Now just gimme a machine gun i can shoot from hip so i can clean out that house the damn gerry's are killing all my buddy's from lol

Upvote 0
Veggie said:
Another thing is the speed of the game. Which is fine, but i still think it's slowed down by people who are scared to rush a building with one shot rifle's. This game would rock with the speed of day of defeat's run and gun attitude on the bigger maps. And the iron sights and reloads are sooo slow. If i raised my .308 that fast the deer would be gone, hehe. No i dont hunt, but i do shoot. And the flash on the gun barrel. Ive never fired a gun that blinded me from muzzle flash....mg. Also noticed for WW2 this game is soo quiet you can hear a pin drop. I wanna hear gunfire. Lot's of it, like call of duty,insane amount's it almost gives u a headache. give the people guns so they can let the lead fly.
Realism is nice concept folk's. but by the look of the player count it doesn't fill server's. Game is soo nice, now you just need to make it more fun. Let the patches fly guy's as i know this game could so put a beating on the online community base, people would flock to this game. Well done RO Team.
And before everyone goe's on a flame fest. TRAFFIC!!!!! No traffic no game. just throwing out a suggestion.

You say that you enjoy Red Orchestra, but yet somehow think that it would be better if it went in the complete opposite direction.

Let's face facts: RO is what it is because of its focus on accessible realism. This is not DOD:S, and nor should it be. RO has a certain niche appeal, and you are saying that it should leave its niche and just go and try to be COD or DOD.

But it isn't those games, and it never will be (God forbid). I don't play RO because I want COD or DOD, I play it because it is unique, realistic, deep, complex, and amazingly fun.

If you want to play a war movie, go play DOD or COD. That isn't meant to be insulting, as those are both good games in their own way. But they are not good in the same way that RO is good, and let's try to keep it that way.

Upvote 0
Wow realism is a big word here. This isnt what i had in mind posting this suggestion but since realism is so important, im running through a building, carrying my DP28 heavy machine gun. Now being "real" I cant fire it while running so the german kills me. Hmm lets see, in real life i think i woulda pulled the trigger no matter what i was carrying. Oh and my buddy who is carrying a PPSH 41 machine gun fires 4 rounds and it kicks over the enemy's head, so he dies. We spawn and say well that went well huh?
Rinse repeat........realism rules!...its a game folk's. the no crosshairs and no freinds icons on your screen is great well put realism. But the gun's and the way the map's are played is not fun nor real. Its fun for the .2% of the online shooter community that are die hards yes. Remember all i was posting was a suggestion initially. Flame wars in forums are well none productive. All i was simply saying was the limit on rifles though real in real life maybe and thats a big maybe, unless your talking Stalingrad early WW2 eara for the russian's in which i would also only give you 1 clip and a knife if your lucky, is not fun in a online game.

Upvote 0