• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

red-green colour vision deficiencies.

Ron

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2006
Hey im just checking if there are many other people who have this condition my brother recently got a health check so he could be passed fit to start work and it turns out he's got red-green colour vision deficiencies. When he got home he made us do a test turns me and my other brother probadly have it too.
Do this test to see if you have it http://www.kcl.ac.uk/teares/gktvc/vc/lt/colourblindness/cblind.htm
I dont know if its conclusive but i'd say it give a pretty good indication. Btw its no cause for concern i've obviously had for years and its never really affected me in the course of my daily life.

Last edited:
So the term "Colour Blindness" is no longer used?

I remembered hearing that people with Red-Green CVD (so save typing) were often used by the RAF during WW2 because they can see camouflage netting more clearly than people with 'normal' colour vision.

So did a bit of googling and found this interesting discussion about the subject in which a (clearly well-informed) colour-blind person puts across some good info about the whole subject.

http://www21.sbs.com.au/sbsforum/viewtopic.php?t=11221&sid=cd38bc425d0f0a0544ce175689273044

Upvote 0
My grandfather was completely colour blind.

He found out when he was forty odd (some kind of health check stumbled across it), the funny thing is he had been a brilliant snooker player. Can't remember his name name now but some pro doing an exhibition around snooker clubs played against him and said he could go pro.

He saw things in shades of grey and apparently had to *sometimes* ask which was the red and which was the green.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this thread, a lot of useful information and insights into the world of colour perception. I have myself in my more philosophical moments (usually alcohol induced) had discussions about how we all percieve our surorundings and what each of us actually sees when we are talking about a colour like red or green, so it's interesting to read about just how varied that really can be.

I have to admit for a long while I have been thinking issues like this are something game and software devlopers especially need to consider. For example having red and green as team colours is fairly common practice, and yet with a fairly large number of people struggling to differentiate clearly between the two, perhaps this practice should be rethought.

Maybe simply allowing players to alter hud settings would be an easy fix for this, like you can chose hud and crosshair colour in many games, why not also allow them to pick the team colours. Even as someone who doesn't suffer from any form of colour vision deficiency, it's something I'd like to see, often the schemes picked can be hard to see against certain backgrounds etc.

Upvote 0
So the term "Colour Blindness" is no longer used?

I remembered hearing that people with Red-Green CVD (so save typing) were often used by the RAF during WW2 because they can see camouflage netting more clearly than people with 'normal' colour vision.

Im pretty sure my grandad did this when he was about my age in WW2, he was serving around the burma area iirc.

I remember one time i was playing Americas Army on the training section where you have to shoot the red targets down range and my grandad was watching and then he said "what the hell are you shooting at?" Obviously he couldnt see the red targets on the green backdrop :p

Upvote 0
I'm quite severely colourblind. I can see colour but find red/green and blue/purple difficult, also its worse in my left eye than my right. It changes with distance too which is screwy. I hereby use this excuse for all TKs ever.
what did you pick out there mate? im kinda like that myself, some of them i scored as a redgreen defficient person, then some i saw what you should be able to see, but just barely, then some i dident see either. :mad: i guess im just defficient

Upvote 0
My cousin once came home from a shopping run and told his mother how he had found a perfect pair of brown boots for a really, really low price. After further inspection, his mother informed him that the boots were screaming green. :D

They hadn't found out of his colour blindness before that.

I have normal colour vision though.

Upvote 0
what did you pick out there mate? im kinda like that myself, some of them i scored as a redgreen defficient person, then some i saw what you should be able to see, but just barely, then some i dident see either. :mad: i guess im just defficient

Deuteranopia. Yes I could also only faintly see many of the red/green tests.

I used to say grass was brown and the trunks of trees were green as a child - although now I see them the other way round (well what I term green matches what the rest of the world calls green) so I think that might have been one bike accident too many :D

Upvote 0
I'm pretty much ****ed up on all colors, sometimes I see the frames here on the forums as brown, other times as red. :p I could name many other examples where I seem to get all colors mixed up, but it's usually when colors are fainted/blurred. My father, 1 of my brothers and I are colorblind, me being the most colorblind. Ironically, my father and brother wear glasses, I do not. :p

I've never had any problems with my colorblindness, only people asking (very often when they find out that I am colorblind) "What color is this pen?".:mad:

I just tried the test, plate 8 is impossible! :p
plate8.gif

6!? Where?:eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0