• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Recommend Me...

SnotRocket

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Georgia
A strategy game!

I have been looking at getting back into strats for awhile now, and need a suggestion of a good, fun, popular multiplayer RTS.

Now, I am looking for a traditional RTS. Something like Warhammer 40k, C&C, Warcraft, AoE, etc. Which one is very fun to play online, not impossible to pick up and get into, and fun?

Please no suggestions for and Total War games or Civilization games. I've always found Civ games very boring and I know my 6800 GS can't handle Medieval 2 Total War very well.

Company of Heroes is only one of the more modern to worth mention. Depending how "classical" rts yuor looking for, it might not be yuor cup of tea, because due to it's destructable enviroments and slightly heavier emphasis on "troop micro", but just because of that it is only one I would even play, as I just hate norm rts.

Also yuo might try take command second mansassan by Madminute games. Lacks multi and is more akin to RTT, but is realtime non the less.
USA civil war sporting very intresting command structure as the AI is actually smart enough to " take commands".
http://www.madminutegames.com/downloads.htm

And then there is ofcource the MTW2, its there yuor card will handle it, its just not that good actually.

Upvote 0
Company of Heroes
WH40k Dawn of War
Blitzkrieg
The Battle for Middle-Earth 1\2

Not sure about MP popularity of the last two mentioned but they're quite fun to play.

And as for non-traditional RTS I would recommend:
Soldiers - Heroes of WWII
Faces of War (sequel for SHWW2)

Both of them are hell of a great games.

Oh and in case if you manage to own one, Close Combat II - A Bridge too Far is very good game too, but I doubt you have one.

Upvote 0
I wasn't all that into CoH. Demo seemed pretty boring to me and airpower was seriously underpowered. That and the Axis totally dominated every skirmish I played, when playing as them or against them.

MTW2 wouldn't even run on my computer. Good ol' AMD Athlon XP 2800+ wasn't supported. :(

I'm thinking of picking up Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne, or the full WH40k pack. Which one is better?

Upvote 0
I strongly recommend the full Dawn of War pack. It has seven unique armies, several singleplayer campaigns, customizable appearance of your army (color scheme, badge, banner), a vivid multiplayer and modding community and pretty neat graphics regarding its age. Like Company of Heroes it's also easy to learn yet difficult to master. I wouldn't recommend the latter though since it has way less content for the same price.

You could also buy Dawn of War vanilla and see if you like it, you can't go wrong for just 7€.

Upvote 0