• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic "tactical shooter" on the horizon : Ground Branch

been following this since 2007. "on the horizon" is a little bit of a stretch. the guys are long time members of the ghost recon community and i wish them success, but realistically speaking, there's really only a slight chance of this ever coming to fruition.

D:

Still looks more like 2006 than 2011 graphics.
Hmm, maybe they could manage to pull a small dev team together and start working on a mod version for HoS first?

they haven't released any screen shots yet, just test shots taken from the editor. so next time you make up crap, how about you do a little research first so you don't get called out on it? thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
they haven't released any screen shots yet, just test shots taken from the editor. so next time you make up crap, how about you do a little research first so you don't get called out on it? thanks.
:rolleyes: How am I making up crap? I'm judging by the media they've released which are screenshots, no matter where they're taken from. They're supposed to show the maps/landscapes and in my eyes were not really impressive. So keep your rude attitude up where it belongs.

Reactions: Dcode and Stormer
Upvote 0
:rolleyes: How am I making up crap? I'm judging by the media they've released which are screenshots, no matter where they're taken from. They're supposed to show the maps/landscapes and in my eyes were not really impressive. So keep your rude attitude up where it belongs.

Graphics look fine and pretty realistic compared to other games. The majority of the images are from the editor, which does not display all of the graphical effects.

But I still don't see how you can think these look bad:

BFS_TrainCar_Scene_01.jpg

Warehouse_WIP.jpg

But if you are looking for another shootem' up with the best graphics possible to test your new PC on, I would look elsewhere.

As for making a mod on RO2, I think it would not do them much good. From reading about the game for such a long time, I can conclude that it is a very different game from RO2. Considering they would have to redo just about everything they've already done in GB to make it as a mod for RO2 would make the point moot.

At this point, I'd hope Blackfoot is able to release something playable as they said - a kill house with some weapons. I'd even pay $5 or so for a detail kill house with some weapons. Maybe then they will get some funding to make a full game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could you elaborate on what a "kill house" is?

US_Special_Forces_soldiers_from_3rd_Battalion%2C_10th_SF_Group_%28Airborne%29%2C_conduct_shoot-house_training_at_Fort_Carson_Colo_Sept_30_2009.jpg

They already planned/have done a pretty detailed training map. I think they've already done a kill house. For $5 or so, I would get a few hours of fun in a kill house with 10 or so nicely done weapons and movement. This way we can get a taste of the basic aspects of the game.

Then they can take it into the form of a player VS player game... then make AI. I think small steps is the only way such a project can be finished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So is this looking more like R6 or Ghost Recon or OFP? And seriously who cares about graphics? They look pretty damn good to me anyways.

Should be more like R6 or GR. From the looks of the screens, concept art, and what I've read on the forums, map sizes are supposed to be in between GR and R6 sizes. Does look like it will feature a lot of out door areas.

You play as Ground Branch, which is part of the CIA. Except small scale squad based gameplay rather than large ArmA style battles.

I didn't say it looks bad, I said it looks 2006. And I don't get it why people can't get it into their minds that good gameplay and good graphics can co-exist.

Those screens I posted look very realistic to me. Looks much better than a 2006 game to. There are a few exceptions... but not every game is Crysis. It really looks great graphically. On par with what I've seen from RO2. RO2 doesn't look 2006 to me... not at all.

Upvote 0
Mmm good. I hope it's as close to the R6 series as possible... with loads of improvements that is. (like not having your men stand in the doorway as they throw the flashbang in :p)

Kinda like the idea of playing as CIA... nice to not be the glorious heroes in shining armor for once. :rolleyes:

I hope they make the storyline very "gray" in the morality area. Just like real CIA operations conducted over the past 60 years. Or black in some cases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They already planned/have done a pretty detailed training map. I think they've already done a kill house. For $5 or so, I would get a few hours of fun in a kill house with 10 or so nicely done weapons and movement. This way we can get a taste of the basic aspects of the game.

Then they can take it into the form of a player VS player game... then make AI. I think small steps is the only way such a project can be finished.

Thanks for the explanation. I would pay $5 for that as well. Plus with the money from that maybe they could push the development of the larger game even further. I really hope something gets going with this as it would be a perfect companion to RO2.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation. I would pay $5 for that as well. Plus with the money from that maybe they could push the development of the larger game even further. I really hope something gets going with this as it would be a perfect companion to RO2.

Indeed. I think the next step would be a player VS player MP type game. This way there is no AI or command menus to worry about.

I was looking forward to a game with sophisticated AI and squad micro management (SWAT 4), but it will have to be small steps at first. Release this for $25-30 like RO1, and I am sure it will get enough money to make a more detail sequel.

Upvote 0
I didn't say it looks bad, I said it looks 2006. And I don't get it why people can't get it into their minds that good gameplay and good graphics can co-exist.

They can co-exist. It's just very unlikely, because "next-gen" (I like that term even though, or rather because it's now five years old) graphics both cost a lot and take a huge amount of time to produce. That's why games with great graphics need much more sales to make a profit, so usually, games with great graphics are produced for the mainstream market, meaning there are next to none risks taken gameplaywise, which makes them just shinier versions of games that already exist.
Not that they can't be fun, but they certainly are not great, memorable games from a gameplay point of view.

These huge costs also make good graphics for niche games quite unobtainable, as no hardcore sim will sell enough numbers to finance the production of high end graphics.

Additionally, a definition of "great graphics" needs to be done. And within that definition lies one of the inherent problems of "realistic games". Those games strife for photo-realism, but usually lack the financial power to really sport them, as they are aimed at a niche market.

So in short: while it's theoretically possible to have great games with great graphics, in reality it boils down to a compromise of graphics vs. gameplay.

Upvote 0
These huge costs also make good graphics for niche games quite unobtainable, as no hardcore sim will sell enough numbers to finance the production of high end graphics.
Well, ArmA2 has pretty high-end graphics for the most part. But I agree with pretty much everything else you said, except that imo there ARE games with both great graphics AND great gameplay. Two examples -> Arkham Asylum & Mass Effect 2. But yeah both of them probably had a HUGE budget, so it doesn't count.

Upvote 0
Well, ArmA2 has pretty high-end graphics for the most part. But I agree with pretty much everything else you said, except that imo there ARE games with both great graphics AND great gameplay. Two examples -> Arkham Asylum & Mass Effect 2. But yeah both of them probably had a HUGE budget, so it doesn't count.

Arkham Asylum and ME2 both have largely traditional gameplay. One is a beat em up with stealth mechanics and the other is a streamlined action rpg. Nothing crazy there. ARMA2 on the other hand is a good example with a history that seems to parallel Ground Branch as both devs came from old realism classics. Does anyone know how BIS originally got funding for ARMA whereas Blackfoot is sorta dead in the water?

Upvote 0