• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic Supply/Ammunition?

SturmSS

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2007
I know that similar topics have been covered and this may/may not have been brought up - but I was thinking, given that this game is making an emphasis around the Stalingrad campaign that it would be good to employ a system where there at times is an imbalance in the amount of ammunition and supplies given to the Germans and Russians.

For example - there is always the standard amount of rounds given to the classes and consistent with both teams in ROOST (I believe). So in some instances I think it would be quite realistic to have say (just for argument's sake) the Russians to have less (significantly less or just partially less depending on the battle, year, supply lines, and all sorts of other factors) ammunition than the Germans.

Although there would be an obvious disadvantage - I'm quite sure we're all aware that war is frankly the opposite of fair - so such a system implemented would promote wise rationing of supplies (and depending if it were a defending/attacking style map then things like nade spamming might be kept to a minimum and you would have to be more wise with how you intend on holding ground and conserving your ammo) Of course it would be good to have just a supply of ammo on the map (as per the original RO) but instead of an infinite amount of ammo - that there too is set amount. Discussion of this was topic was covered on this thread: [URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=40863"][url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=40863[/URL][/URL]
I suggested that you should be able to get more than one resupply per life as in ROOST - however if you were allowed to go back and fourth there is nothing stopping people from maintaining that same negligence and just going back to get more nades and ammo from the crates. (However once it is depleted from the supply then you would have to start being more conservative) So perhaps only ammo is held in the crates (on certain maps) as opposed to Panzerfausts and nades on other maps.

So this restriction on ammo would also promote you to get up off your toosh if needed and pick up ammo from fallen allies/enemies (which adds to the realism).

Its no secret that in the earlier periods of the war that the Russians were struggling with both the lack of good commanders/officers as well as supplies (and especially in Stalingrad). Whereas the Germans were quite well supplied in the earlier years and well looked after. (I know what I am saying is quite general and there are of course exceptions).
But hopefully ROHOS will cover a diverse range of battles as per ROOST - and as the tides of certain battles change then the Germans will be poorly supplied (especially when they became surrounded in Stalingrad and other situations)

Futhermore, I think it would be great to have some cases where the Russians (and Germans) may be presented worse and desperate situations than mere ammo shortage and would start moving onto more important things like clothing (which was certainly a problem and effected battles and indeed the turning points of the war) Perhaps one side may be better equipt for the cold with parkas, better boots or whatnot compared to the other which could coincide with the added "morale" concept discussed in ROHOS. This also would satisfy people who are yearning for a diversity in the soldiers (different appearances) where some may have overcoats/parka's/clothing etc. and some may not - which this could futher coincide with discussed ideas where the more experienced players receive the better warmer gear - or could just be something randomized (and provide all players with the good experience of the difference between having warm clothing and not)

So to continue about the clothing - not only would it appease the aesthetic I think it would be good to have the lack of sufficient clothing effect the gameplay (and which it should) for example if you lack sufficient warm clothing than this would lead to shivering = not as accurate and steady weapon handling and of course the converse if you did have warm gloves and clothes = steadier aim. Or the ability to sprint/movement either reduced or increased depending on what you're wearing.

Of course these disadvantages would eventually be known to the players and what maps they occur - which would not provide any incentive to go the team that is disadvantaged with supplies - but thank God for autobalance! However in some cases both sides may be similarly poorly supplied?

Yeah exactly - so it'll be balanced in a way.
Of course it would be good to have the even maps like you said otherwise I think it'd get too much and kind of annoying to always have the imbalance of one side over the other because it is quite an advantage (especially with PPSh'ers hehe)

Upvote 0
I at most use ammunition supplies like 2 times per map. I dont see the big issue with them personally most people die before they emptied all their ammo. And if they are out of ammo they usually prefer to suicide over walking to the ammo depot as its quicker.

Agree.
We need your suggestion 'Personal Reinforcements' implemented, to have such things working

Upvote 0