• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism/Balance, No Content, RO2's mistakes

ah realism nuts, you assumed I meant smash as in rip through, I meant smash as in kill.

I meant give me a non moving man, a full clip and the ability to control my fire and I'm pretty certain that will kill him 9 times out of 10.

Its not a grey area. You'd be hard pressed to even hit anything at 200m with a 9MM "anything" even benched and clamped. Simply shooting one from a standing position at a stationery target 200m out would make those chances astronomical. You'd probably need better conditions than a full clip and a non moving target. I'm not busting on the 40 , but remember the smg;s are shooting pistol rounds (the pps and even smaller round ) and as such should only be effective out to about 50 M or so.

Upvote 0
I can nail a man sized target at 60 meters with a round paintball shooting at 300 feet per second one in every 2 shots, I know I could land a couple of rifled 9mm rounds that are still used today from a MP 40 at 200 meters with a 32 round mag if I took my time.

I think people really don't have a grasp of what effective means. Effective is 50% of rounds on a target. Effective realistic is can you kill someone with it at 200 metres and the answer is 100% yes. I will land almost every single shot from a paintball gun at a guy 50 metres away, the only real thing you need to adjust for bullet drop. It's still going to cause significant damage if it hits you at 200 metres. It leaves at 1200 feet per second, drops 30 centimetres at 100 metres. So you would probably have to give it around a metre drop at 200 metres but the bottom line is that if you stood still 200 metres away while I had time to shoot how I pleased, you will die 9 times out of 10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can nail a man sized target at 60 meters with a round paintball shooting at 300 feet per second one in every 2 shots, I know I could land a couple of rifled 9mm rounds that are still used today from a MP 40 at 200 meters with a 32 round mag if I took my time.

I think people really don't have a grasp of what effective means. Effective is 50% of rounds on a target. Effective realistic is can you kill someone with it at 200 metres and the answer is 100% yes. I will land almost every single shot from a paintball gun at a guy 50 metres away, the only real thing you need to adjust for bullet drop. It's still going to cause significant damage if it hits you at 200 metres. It leaves at 1200 feet per second, drops 30 centimetres at 100 metres. So you would probably have to give it around a metre drop at 200 metres but the bottom line is that if you stood still 200 metres away while I had time to shoot how I pleased, you will die 9 times out of 10.

I think when you have a few thousand rounds of 9MM parabellum under your belt in real life at a range in anything ( I own 9MM Ruger police carbines , Marlin camp 9's , and a few import carbines in this round) , then you would see the hilarity in what you write. Can it be done? Yes. Can it be done over and over again at even a 50% rate like you suggest? Not a chance in hell. Can it be done moving or even standing all out of breath like the game suggests in a 40's tech mass produced stamped reciever. No freaking way, sorry...just no.Will never happen. I have 25 +years of armory, gunsmithing, tool making, reloading, and shooting experience. And I own , have owned, or at least spent time on the range with all of the guns ingame and then some. Sorry, not going to happen.

Please dont compare it to a paintball gun at 50M. Not even remotely the same animal.

Upvote 0
I think when you have a few thousand rounds of 9MM parabellum under your belt in real life at a range in anything ( I own 9MM Ruger police carbines , Marlin camp 9's , and a few import carbines in this round) , then you would see the hilarity in what you write. Can it be done? Yes. Can it be done over and over again at even a 50% rate like you suggest? Not a chance in hell. Can it be done moving or even standing all out of breath like the game suggests in a 40's tech mass produced stamped reciever. No freaking way, sorry...just no.Will never happen. I have 25 +years of armory, gunsmithing, tool making, reloading, and shooting experience. And I own , have owned, or at least spent time on the range with all of the guns ingame and then some. Sorry, not going to happen.

Please dont compare it to a paintball gun at 50M. Not even remotely the same animal.

thank you. oh and if you want more of a nail in the coffin:
ballist.gif

-something like 27" at 200 yards so over 2 feet, and at the range only has about the same power of those Hyper velocity .22 LR rounds. May I also add, The test on this was done with a 16" barrel...the MP-40 has a 9" barrel. Even if you don't factor in the power lost from the action of the gun, that's still a big difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: blkmgc
Upvote 0
That's actually not true, it works opposite for me. In RO:O I played 4? 5? years and never had needs to "level up" something. I played other games with leveling system and never did it that long as RO:O, because it gets boring after couple weeks (sometimes months - Battlefield 2).
Also RO2 introduced one of the worst progression system ever made for PvP FPS game: stats progression, that's very unforgiving for newcomers. Players who just play, spend time in game, gets stat bonuses like: reduced recoil, sway, more magazines, better spring and character movement, where new guys has nothing. RO2 suppose to be newcomers friendly, but it isn't.

Considering everything 1 shots you (even pistols) there isn't much of a gap here from new and higher level players.

Also, it's DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to hit a target at 150-200 meters unless you have a scope because your eye can't effectively see that far in iron sights. That plus wind resistance and gravity adds to the flavor. I mean you can literally have your Iron Sights off by a cm and it'll go 3 inches left or right at that range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Considering everything 1 shots you (even pistols) there isn't much of a gap here from new and higher level players.
Hmmm, as a high level player I can run faster, sprint longer, have less supression effect, get into ironsight faster, have less sway and reload faster.

I would say, add the above to the skill which one acquire through playing (movement, knowledge of maps, aiming) and I see a big gap between newbies and old players. I.e. both players see each other at the same time and thanks to getting faster into ironsight, the old player can shoot first.
(Therefor the option for admins to allow certain honour levels as settings, but I don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys, I wish you would spend half of the energy making mods when the mod tools come out than the amount of energy you allready wasted posting 2 page articles about what you think is realistic or not.

Its always the same over an over again.
Play the ****ing game, its as close to optimal as a game can get nowadays. (gameplaywise)
The rest will have to be done by modders. (something that doesnt exist anymore in other games)

Reactions: AsoBit
Upvote 0
when the mod tools come out
Well this seems to be our problem right here.

Play the ****ing game, its as close to optimal as a game can get nowadays. (gameplaywise)
How sad is that.

The rest will have to be done by modders. (something that doesnt exist anymore in other games)

Why? Also, RO is far from unique in having a modding community, i see plenty of teams working on ArmA, BF2. Hell even minecraft.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
200M with the MP 40 made me stop reading the rest. Anybody who things a 9mm round can "smash anything at 200M" is not somebody I take very seriously. Not only is the pistol rounds ineffective at such range, the MP-40 is only good out to 100M really. Wikipedia says it's 200M...but that stinks of pure German fantasy. it's like putting 1000M on the K-98 and Mosin sights. Just because the sights have graduations for that distance.....

but heck, the ppsh is supposed to be effective to 150M...oh wait...we'd be dreaming to be able to do that in game as it is now. It tells me something is broken about SMG's. either give the ppsh similar accuracy, or rethink the MP

PPSh should be more accurate (at range). 7.62x25 has a much flatter trajectory than 9mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Holy crap at the realism nuts, seriously.

The bottom line is that if I have a whole clip of a MP40 and have as much time as I want and my mission is to see if I can hit you at 200 meters and you stand up and don't move, you are dead more often than not.

No-one is arguing whether or not its "effective", I mean, I can kill you from that range in World War 2 if you just stood still. The bottom line is that TW almost modeled it perfectly in the game as 200 metres is very hard to hit someone with a MP40, you would kill someone somewhere in amongst the clip.

But that's not the point, the point was that even at 100 metres, this accuracy has broken the game and is the primary reason for the game not being as fun as more and hence one of the main reasons for the games very poor reception.

A bolt action should not be at a disadvantage when facing a MP40 at 100 meters, its that simple.

Can the realism kids please not post in this thread anymore?

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
thank you. oh and if you want more of a nail in the coffin:
ballist.gif

-something like 27" at 200 yards so over 2 feet, and at the range only has about the same power of those Hyper velocity .22 LR rounds. May I also add, The test on this was done with a 16" barrel...the MP-40 has a 9" barrel. Even if you don't factor in the power lost from the action of the gun, that's still a big difference.

And thats test "perfect" conditions. Take into acount dirt (inevitably) fear (constantly present) , mass produced war quality ball amunition, and the necessity to keep moving, and it shortens the realistically useable range of this weapon to way less then 100m. Honestly after shooting one , I can only deduce that it has a large "fear forming" factor , and house to house it would be great...but I wouldnt step out side with it personally in combat. The first bolt at any range over 50-60 M would kill me in minutes. Much the same feeling for the Sten Mk 1-3 , Soumi m31, or the Japanees Type 100.

Upvote 0