• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Re-tool for existing melee weapons?

Krieg Jaeger

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2009
Rather than creating more melee weapons, it might not be such a terrible idea to simply re-work some of the existing ones that are of debatable usefulness, maybe even add some perk related modifications for them?

The two that stand out most obviously would be the machete and chainsaw, the least obvious would be the combat knife.

For example: Machete for a zerker:
L
evel 3 or above would become a serrated machete, with nasty looking teeth on the blade's edge that appears as though the user in question simply heated it up, bashed it against something roughly square shape to get some massive, nasty looking teeth on the blade and sharpened it up. Perhaps it would already be gorestained in appearance and get even moreso after striking a zed.

The effect would be damage over time caused by bleeding that could stack with each strike.

Combat Knife for the Medic:
At level 4 the medic coats his blade in a derivative of his medical compound that acts as a neruotoxin, though due to the freakish metabolism of zeds it is not strictly lethal, though it does slow them significantly.

The effect would be, as mentioned, slowing of struck zeds possibly along with slowing their attack speed or frequency as well.

Chainsaw for a firebug?
At level 3: the firebug ever so lovingly modifies his chainsaw, expanding the gas tank capacity and with a little pressure hose and a taped on zippo, the firebug can spray some gasoline on the blades to hack through zeds while lighting them ablaze. It also works as a extremely inefficient torch to light the area around him.

This would light zeds on fire as he slashes them as well as light the area around him while the weapon is out. The appearance would be that the gas tank is a bit larger, the mcgyvered gas shooter, and the saw chain being constantly ablaze.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are simply concepts of what modding the weapons to have perk specific effects could do, not specific suggestions on what they should add.

Alternatively they could simply re-work the stats or ability on said weapons instead, knife excluded, to make them a bit more useful.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Multi-perking doesn't work, as debated in other threads.
I never mentioned multi-perking assuming you are talking about a single weapon having multiple effects for different perks.

@Undedd Jester
Well, like I said those are simply general concepts of what could be done in order to re-tool the weapons, not specific suggestions to be done.

But who doesn't like a flaming chainsaw eh?:IS2:

Upvote 0
Well the flaming chainsaw ala McGyver has got my vote. +1

Good idea with the machete, works like the FB's firenades lvl wise.

As for the medic idea... I think something that prevents special attacks on low level ZEDs ie the clots grab. This way you can use it as a get out of jail card. Otherwise you might have the medic running around blocking shots while he tries to slow things down.

Upvote 0
I have always thought that the alt-fire on the chainsaw should be a massively powerful horizontal swiping attack, so that you could kill every trash specimen in front of you in one sweep. The low running speed makes it nearly useless as is, but if it had this capability you'd be able to justify dropping your gun for the ability to instantly break out of a block.

Machete is just worthless... I would actually rather use the knife because the machete is not even worth the speed loss of one weight block. I feel like it should attack MUCH faster than it currently does, really hack the **** out of the specs (I mean like Gordon Freeman w/ crowbar fast). It should be the go-to weapon when you get surrounded and pinned like an idiot and raw attack speed becomes more important than reach. Maybe it would be even better than the katana for berserkers who can't manuever because they're stuck acting as a meat grinder/shield for the boring perks who have no choice but to camp the entire game. :p

Of course, I'm a bit biased - the machete has always been my favorite zerker weapon in terms of style, it's sad to see it near-useless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0