• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RE: Corpse fade time

DeadlyTigger

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 28, 2006
RE: Corpse fade time

Alrighty, I've got a comment about the time that it takes for dead bodies to fade away. We all know that the Unreal engine has some a pretty nice ragdoll system and the deaths in ROOST are absolutely stunning at times. But, there's a slight annoyance that can take away from the immersion.

The sudden, quick fade of bodies...

It's certainly not a game stopper nor is it a bug, but it is slight annoyance. And while it's a small enough of an annoyance to be overlooked during a battle, the quick-fade does seem a little out of place in such a realistic game.

Currently the fade seems to be set at about 4 seconds, which is very small amount of time. My question to the devs: are you considering increasing the fade time to something more reasonable? I know it could possibly be a problem for those with lower-end computers, but does that mean that a longer fade time should be taken away from the rest of us?

To get around the system toll on some computers, would it be possible to add an option into the menu which would increase the corpse-fade time? This also goes for bullet decals, I've noticed that they disappear almost instantaneously... is that a bug or an intentional feature?

Discuss! :)

Oh...so its the engine can't handle it? That's strange because America's Army uses the same engine, but the bodies don't disappear nor do the decals. Of course, America's Army uses a round-based system so it's 1 body 1 player. But the decals shouldn't be affected, regardless of whether or not its round-based.

There must be some way to at least increase the fade time, seeing as the bodies for ROOST are already on a fade system.

Upvote 0
trillex said:
I do believe that karma (ragdolls) is handled only by the client. That means that every death won't look the same for everyone.
Yup, the server doesn't need to know where any dead body is (With the exception of tanks/vehicles, since those act as real cover). Infantry bodies are something that could be easily controlled client side, and yes, totally dependant on your pc.

Upvote 0
I got a Tip, if you reduce the Desired FPS in your .Ini (User or Redorchestra, don't remember search for "desired" without "") to something around 20 - 30 the Bodies will no longer fade away that fast as the System doesn't think its necessary to remove them to save on FPS. Its the same with Decals.

If you got a good System and set the Value to 25 the Decals will really stay a long time (and 25 might be enough for you).

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Maybe a longer fade time could happen with UE3, but 2.5 just cant handle that many polygons, even if you found a way to "integrate" them into the world (could be some coding for ramm to do in the future).

I dont know much about this stuff but im pretty sure this engine is better than the quake 3 engine CoD1 used and in that you could set bodies to insane and have tons of bodies, for like the whole time, and my pc is nothin gto be proud of.

Upvote 0