• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rant and Rave 2: the Revengencing

CommissarLampshade

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2011
As a long-time RO fan, I'm kinda disappointed in RO2. Not because of the bugs or optimization issues, the game was quite clearly rushed out the door, but that stuff will be fixed. I'm sure Tripwire will add new tanks, maps, guns, and content as time goes on too.

My biggest issue is that pacing of the game seems a bit off. It seems much, much easier to die than in RO1 or DH. You sprint faster (a bit too fast IMO), bring your weapon up in an instant, and even when exhausted the weapon sway isn't all that bad. Am I the only one would like to see things slowed down a bit? I'm not certain what exactly gave RO1 that slower, more tactical feeling, but I'm not getting it this time around. Some of the maps seem less "concentrated" than in RO1. You have a lot of people running around all over the map, rarely grouped up, and you have no idea of where the battle lines are drawn.

I don't really see whats good about the addition of things like "lockdown" and the way your head explodes instantly if you're too far up and the enemy captures a point.

Then there is the matter of weapon loadouts. The Germans should really only have 2 MKb42s on their team or so. What happened to such unique weapons having their own special class? The devs did a good job of showing the benefits for the first true assault rifle, being an ideal compromise between a rifle and SMG. Yet when only 12,000 or so were built, the number we see is rather unrealistic. I think the Germans have them on 1941 maps too. The same is true with the G41 to some extent, this was a relatively rare weapon.

Unlocks bother me, I don't see the point in such things. Somebody like me simply doesn't have time (I wish I did) to get 50 levels in all of these different weapons. And yet all I ask is for common things like PPSH drums, bayonets, and weapons that don't look in awful condition. Seriously, everything looks like it's been built by a worker horribly drunk on vodka, dragged through the mud, run over by a tank, and never cleaned once. Extended combat conditions can do nasty things to a gun, but do I really have to get 1000+ kills (with just one gun) to get a weapon that looks in good/new condition? Maybe mods will fix this but I would prefer if the vanilla game didn't go with this questionable unlock trend. I must admit that part of me is worried that the devs have abandoned their original fans for the sake of the CoD crowd that demands silly unlock systems and unrealistic fast-pace combat. I played RO has an alternative to that, I don't like it adopting the same fast, less tactical pace.

As the tank combat is expanded upon, will it ever be like the large maps we had in RO1 and DH, or will it be something else entirely?

Rant over, flame away.

Last edited:
I also like how the Russians have to unlock stuff they had commonly like drum mags for the PPSH while the Germans get ridiculous stuff like the MP40 doublemag which renders the MP40 simply a better gun than the PPSH as it not only has power and accuracy but large ammo capacity as well (Oh, and the PPSH gets nerfed as well). The MG34 gets rare magazine upgrades while the DP-28 gets nothing, the MKB is clearly superior to the AVT, it's simply not a well designed upgrade system at all and is very clearly biased.

Upvote 0
Then there is the matter of weapon loadouts. The Germans should really only have 2 MKb42s on their team or so. What happened to such unique weapons having their own special class? The devs did a good job of showing the benefits for the first true assault rifle, being an ideal compromise between a rifle and SMG. Yet when only 12,000 or so were built, the number we see is rather unrealistic. I think the Germans have them on 1941 maps too. The same is true with the G41 to some extent, this was a relatively rare weapon.

Unlocks bother me, I don't see the point in such things. Somebody like me simply doesn't have time (I wish I did) to get 50 levels in all of these different weapons. And yet all I ask is for common things like PPSH drums, bayonets, and weapons that don't look in awful condition. Seriously, everything looks like it's been built by a worker horribly drunk on vodka, dragged through the mud, run over by a tank, and never cleaned once. Extended combat conditions can do nasty things to a gun, but do I really have to get 1000+ kills (with just one gun) to get a weapon that looks in good/new condition? Maybe mods will fix this but I would prefer if the vanilla game didn't go with this questionable unlock trend. I must admit that part of me is worried that the devs have abandoned their original fans for the sake of the CoD crowd that demands silly unlock systems and unrealistic fast-pace combat. I played RO has an alternative to that, I don't like it adopting the same fast, less tactical pace.

I absolutelly agree! I'm only a weekend player and I don't want to wait like 6 months till I unlock a drum mag for nerfed high-recoil PPSh while Germans already have an automatic sniper rifles - MP40 and Mkb42 (which can be also seen in a battles that took place in 1941) that totally destroy me at all ranges. Please, if you make PPSh to have unrealistic high recoil at least give it a drum mag as a standart! In Staligrand, Germans took enemy PPShs over their MP40s. Now in RO2, Russians take MP40s over their PPShs. Unlock system is for arcady games like CoD and BF, I don't want it to destroy RO for me :-( [Sorry for my English]

Upvote 0