• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ranks and Unlocks

Dest

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2006
www.planetunreal.com
To increase replay-value, I think player should be able to rank up and receive unlocks.

I've been playing bad company 2 for some time now and it really kept me going for hours in a row, to unlock all the weapons.

Players in HoS should also be able to rank up and receive some kind of unlock during this proses.
For instance a player with a higher rank has better chances of being the commander or squad leader.
Or certain roles, like elite, are only available after a certain rank has been reached, which also unlocks the experimental weapons I believe.
Or perhaps there are some unique items or abilities that can only be unlocked or learned.

I really think these kind of systems increase the replayability of a game, since everybody wants to be the best and reach the highest possible rank with all the unlockables.

What do you think?

I vote yes ;) We've actually talked about our systems for this in some of the interviews that we did at Gamescom. As long as we keep the unlocks and ranking stuff realistic and not to crazy - no super soldiers or lame perks like poeple magically crapping grenades when they die ala COD.

Upvote 0
Heroes system.... Read more about it :)

- Heroes: Obtain the ultimate goal and become a Hero online. Players with hero status inspire troops around them and cause fear in their enemies. Heroes have access to the best and rarest weapons and equipment, and will stand out visually from the rest of the soldiers.

Indeed, but this seems very limited. Like there is normal and hero, nothing inbetween.

http://www.nuav.net/SS-insignia.html
http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/9220

Upvote 0
I'm sorry that I have to disagree with this but this is the top of the list for "Stuff I DO NOT want in HoS".

I'm sorry but this rank system is just stupid. I don't want a rank system where a little 12 year old kids plays this game all day all night and he is now a Squad Leader :O. But wait he knows nothing about tactics or anything that can be use to the team. I hate these Rank systems where stupid nerds shove their "Higher Rank" in my face but then I'm still only like at Rank One and I can still kick their arse.

People keep worrying about HoS turning into a CoD game. When you say you are thinking of adding stuff like this, it makes everyones worries grow! ALOT

Upvote 0
Players in HoS should also be able to rank up and receive some kind of unlock during this proses.
For instance a player with a higher rank has better chances of being the commander or squad leader.
Or certain roles, like elite, are only available after a certain rank has been reached, which also unlocks the experimental weapons I believe.
Or perhaps there are some unique items or abilities that can only be unlocked or learned.
Oh my, That sounds ludicrously bad. What are we playing? Call of Duty? Some times I wish Tripwire would just keep the game as it was, With improved features and such. Like alot of the stuff I have seen are quite good, But This ranking elite crap is like where playing a console button masher. (Please Tripwire, Think of the realism community :()

Upvote 0
Oh my, That sounds ludicrously bad. What are we playing? Call of Duty? Some times I wish Tripwire would just keep the game as it was, With improved features and such. Like alot of the stuff I have seen are quite good, But This ranking elite crap is like where playing a console button masher. (Please Tripwire, Think of the realism community :()

Well personally I can understand Tripwire needs to think about the commercial part of their project as well, and probably needs to make some choices to attract not only the 'realism'-community but also the much bigger group of 'arcade'-lovers. As for every business, it is important to make enough money to cover the costs. Tripwire is no different when you look it that way. At the end, knowing Tripwire wants to work towards realism as much as possible, this way of doing business should actually benefit the realism-community in the long run since there will be more dollars to make a hyper realistic RO3 for us 10 years from now ;)

Also, we don't know at this point how far the dev-team of Rising Storm will go when it comes to arcade-elements. On top of that, I can imagine the the dev-team(s) of Darkest Hour and/or Mare Nostrum are already thinking about a modification for RO:HOS.

So I really don't think we need to worry that much and actually should support Tripwire. Give em some credit and trust, we know they want what we want !

Reactions: SiC-Disaster
Upvote 0

The game with the ranking system will keep everyone entertained much longer then the game without the ranking system, so why whine about it?

Reactions: Dest and Stormer
Upvote 0
I really think these kind of systems increase the replayability of a game, since everybody wants to be the best and reach the highest possible rank with all the unlockables.

What do you think?

i think these systems decrease the quality of gameplay a lot, making everyone only care only about ranks, these 12 year olds with rank signatures prove it

in others words if you need ranks and unlocks to play a game, it pretty much says a lot about the game and the player itself

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Many a wannabe Commander has left, with tail between leg, never again to risk the task at hand." : Harry Harris.

"The success of a commander does not arise from following rules or models. It consists in an absolutely new comprehension of the dominant fact of the situation at the time, and all the forces at work.
Every great operation of war is unique." : Winston Churchill.

Upvote 0
i think these systems decrease the quality of gameplay a lot, making everyone only care only about ranks, these 12 year olds with rank signatures prove it

in others words if you need ranks and unlocks to play a game, it pretty much says a lot about the game and the player itself

Looking to the demonstration-videos, I doubt ranks will be the only thing to take care about; ROHOS is much more than a frag'n'ranking game. I also doubt, because such a system exists, 'everyone' will focus on it and it would say 'much' about everyone playing it. I'm sorry but you are making too much deductions and too few real arguments.

As people from Tripwire already pointed out, the 'benefits' higher ranked players will unlock are merely subtile, so I doubt it will unbalance the gameplay. I don't think we should fear meeting unbeatable 12 year old rambo's on the field with superweapons. If such a kid finds joy in going for the highest rank, so what? If you don't care about a ranking system yourself, your rank should not be important for you. At least, it is personally not important to me. As a trained and skilled player, I can say I took out lots of MG's, STG's, PPsH's and snipers with my simple rifle :p

Last but not least, I doubt there will be another company releasing a World War 2 first person shooter within the year that is working towards realism that much as Tripwire is doing with ROHOS. So I'm afraid it is something like: take it or leave it.

Upvote 0
Yes this ranking system will also ruin the Realism community because Realism Units will have PVts that are higher ranks than Officers because they play more Public?

It's stupid. Unless you make another Game mode where you have ranks and then the other game modes are basically just like normal RO.

I personally think that this rank system Bull**** can ruin the game for a lot of excited palyers.

Upvote 0
In reply to the OP, I do not like ranking systems, perks, or unlocking weapons. Never have and probably never will. In the few games that I have played with those features, they really really annoy the hell out of me. I don't care for them in KF either, I just generally pick the class that I want to play and ignore my perk level. I think it encourages cheating, attracts more of the wrong types of players (in relation to good) etc etc. I could go on and on repeating some of the similar thoughts expressed above, because they are my concerns as well.

If a game is good, like ROOST, you don't need to include all that. It does nothing for the replay value for me. I would think there is a large amount of players who agree with me, but I will concede that even so, I am most likely in the minority and from a business standpoint, I can see why TWI is including them.

But enough of that said, we all know they will be in there. At least it does seem that Tripwire will try to keep things realistic and the differences subtle. So I will try to keep my opinions and recommendations along those lines when more information becomes available in regard to perks etc.

Upvote 0
The game with the ranking system will keep everyone entertained much longer then the game without the ranking system, so why whine about it?

I have to disagree.
A game that needs a ranking system is no game at all. If it cant be fun to play without a ranking system, that says something about that game.
It's gameplay that keeps people playing, not statistics.

EDIT:
This is not reflecting on ROHOS in any way, because i know the gameplay will please me.

Upvote 0
Well I agree that i dont particulary care for some of the systems in other games, BC2 wepons lock to a certin rank and AA who ever had the highest rank picks first. HOS seem to fix both of those by not having much of a advantage and giving those who do well in the sort term a boost so they can have a shot at picking first.

I think everyone is kinda forgetting that some of these feature will be turned off in HC mode and there will be even more options to turn off or adjust other features. This is also a push to give the game a wider appeal. Just think of the relaxed realism severs as a recruiting ground for new realism junkies.

Upvote 0
In reply to the OP, I do not like ranking systems, perks, or unlocking weapons. Never have and probably never will. In the few games that I have played with those features, they really really annoy the hell out of me. I don't care for them in KF either, I just generally pick the class that I want to play and ignore my perk level. I think it encourages cheating, attracts more of the wrong types of players (in relation to good) etc etc. I could go on and on repeating some of the similar thoughts expressed above, because they are my concerns as well.

If a game is good, like ROOST, you don't need to include all that. It does nothing for the replay value for me. I would think there is a large amount of players who agree with me, but I will concede that even so, I am most likely in the minority and from a business standpoint, I can see why TWI is including them.

But enough of that said, we all know they will be in there. At least it does seem that Tripwire will try to keep things realistic and the differences subtle. So I will try to keep my opinions and recommendations along those lines when more information becomes available in regard to perks etc.

+1

And I keep seeing people write stuff like They want to get more people to join the community by adding stuff that is like CoD or something? Why would someone who plays CoD, want to buy another game because it has features like CoD? Whats the point of buying the game if you are basically already playing it?

Upvote 0