• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Random Weapon Tidbits

scary ghost

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2010
California
Some interesting things I've found while working on my mutators over the past year.

Killing Floor - Weapon Tidbits - YouTube

Tidbit #1
Yes, putting that blunt M32/M79 grenade into a specimen's head levels your sharpshooter perk. It turns out that the damage type for blunt rockets and grenades is a sub class of DamTypeKFSnipe, which has the sniper property set to true.

Code:
[COLOR=Navy]class DamTypeRocketImpact extends DamTypeKFSnipe[/COLOR]
    abstract;

defaultproperties
{
     HeadShotDamageMult=2.000000
     WeaponClass=Class'KFMod.LAW'
     DeathString="%k killed %o (LAW Impact)."
     FemaleSuicide="%o shot herself in the foot."
     MaleSuicide="%o shot himself in the foot."
     KDamageImpulse=5000.000000
     KDeathVel=200.000000
     KDeathUpKick=50.000000
}
Code:
class DamTypeKFSnipe extends KFProjectileWeaponDamageType
    abstract;

defaultproperties
{
     [COLOR=Navy]bSniperWeapon=True[/COLOR]
     bRagdollBullet=True
     bBulletHit=True
     FlashFog=(X=600.000000)
     KDamageImpulse=2250.000000
     KDeathVel=115.000000
     KDeathUpKick=5.000000
     VehicleDamageScaling=0.700000
}
For the first test, I have 44038 head shots before the wave starts. After killing 12 clots with blunt head shots, I have 44050 head shots.

Files:
DamTypeRocketImpact.uc, DamTypeKFSnipe.uc

Tidbit #2
Sharpshooter's all around head shot bonus applies to blunt head shots. With the 50% extra damage at level 6, a sharpshooter can deal 600 damage with an impact head shot from the grenades or rockets, enough to 1 shot a 6 man HoE husk with a head shot.

The test shown the video only uses the grenade launcher grenade, but it applies for the L.A.W and Husk Cannon. In the hands of a level 6 sharpshooter, the husk cannon's impact damage can deal up to 1687 damage with a head shot, enough to 2 shot a 6 man HoE scrake.

Files:
KFVetSharpshooter.uc, M79GrenadeProjectile.uc, M32GrenadeProjectile, LAWProj.uc, M203GrenadeProjectile.uc, HuskGunProjectile.uc

Tidbit #3
Unfortunately, that generic head shot bonus doesn't apply to melee weapons. Misleading perk description is misleading no? The reason this is is because the base KFMonster class does not apply the head shot perk bonus if the damage type belongs to a melee weapon.

KFMonster.TakeDamage()
Code:
if ( [COLOR=Navy]class<DamTypeMelee>(damageType) == none[/COLOR] && KFPRI != none &&
             KFPRI.ClientVeteranSkill != none )
        {
            Damage = float(Damage) * KFPRI.ClientVeteranSkill.Static.GetHeadShotDamMulti(KFPRI, DamageType);
        }
To see this in action, I attack a 6 man HoE husk with a machette as a commando, berserker, and sharpshooter. Quick run down of numbers:

6 man HoE Husk = 437 head hp
Machette primary head shot = 70 * 1.25 = 87

So unperked, it should take 6 head shots, as a level 6 zerker: 3 head shots, and as a level 6 sharpshooter: 4 head shots to decapitate or kill said husk. However, the sharpshooter still takes 6 head shots to decapitate the husk, same as the commando.

Files:
KFMonster.uc

Tidbit #4
Lighting up a husk with a flamethrower isn't smart, he has up to 87.5% resistance to the flamethrower on HoE. Yes, I said flamethrower because he has no resistance to the MAC10, and that includes the burn damage.

ZombieHusk.TakeDamage
Code:
function TakeDamage( int Damage, Pawn InstigatedBy, Vector Hitlocation, Vector Momentum, class<DamageType> damageType, optional int HitIndex)
{
    // Reduced damage from fire
    [COLOR=Navy]if (DamageType == class 'DamTypeBurned' || DamageType == class 'DamTypeFlamethrower')[/COLOR]
    {
        Damage *= BurnDamageScale;
    }

Super.TakeDamage(Damage,instigatedBy,hitlocation,momentum,damageType,HitIndex);
}
KFMonster.TakeDamage()
Code:
[COLOR=Orange][COLOR=White] if ( class<DamTypeBurned>(damageType) != none || class<DamTypeFlamethrower>(damageType) != none )
{
     FireDamageClass = class'DamTypeFlamethrower';
}
else
{
    FireDamageClass = class'DamTypeMAC10MPInc';
}
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Since the MAC10 incendiary damage type is DamTypeMAC10MPInc, the husk resistance does not apply. In the video, the husk is being hosed down with a flamethrower to no avail, but 3 lights from the MAC10 and he dies from the burn damage.

Files:
ZombieHusk.uc
, KFMonster.uc

Last edited:
Awesome info, Scary.

Yes, sharpshooter's all around head shot bonus applies to blunt head shots. With the 50% extra damage at level 6, a sharpshooter can deal 600 damage with an impact head shot, enough to 1 shot a 6 man HoE husk with a head shot.
At what "charge" level? I remember you mentioning that a full charge does somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 (which is more than enough for Scrake stun). So if you take away the +50% headshot and the (I think) 10% headshot bonus, that's like 360 damage.

That's what, half charge?

Also, for sharpshooter melee, that doesn't surprise me all that much. I mean, it says headshots, not headchops, haha.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At what "charge" level? I remember you mentioning that a full charge does somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 (which is more than enough for Scrake stun). So if you take away the +50% headshot and the (I think) 10% headshot bonus, that's like 360 damage.

That's what, half charge?

I was referring to the impact damage from the grenade launchers and LAW with tidbit #2. But yes, the sharpshooter's head shot bonus does apply to the husk cannon's impact damage. I added that in the post.

Upvote 0
Alright, so Grenade Launchers and Rocket Launchers at close range, and hitech Fireball Launchers at any range apparently are "sniper" weapons >_>

That makes... sense... :rolleyes: :p

Scary, have you told TWI about this so they can fix all these errors?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah and a couple of questions:

The Mac10, does its bullets initial damage actually level the Firebug if you use it as a Firebug, but not when used offperk? Heard that rumour somewhere, would like to know the truth about that.

Also, do you have any idea what might be the cause of the infinite crawler burn bug with the Mac10? Has it perhaps something to do with their panic timer?

Upvote 0

The Mac10, does its bullets initial damage actually level the Firebug if you use it as a Firebug, but not when used offperk? Heard that rumour somewhere, would like to know the truth about that.

Also, do you have any idea what might be the cause of the infinite crawler burn bug with the Mac10? Has it perhaps something to do with their panic timer?

Run a long game HoE solo with flammer, you will find that the firebug is full of bugs. MANY bugs. Never dying zeds burning everywhere and random raging fleshpounds (much harder on fleshpound because one game you only get 5, normally).

Upvote 0
I wondered why the MAC10 rips Husks' heads off so easily when, in theory, they should be resistant to it, but had never thought to check. Thanks for the info.

Chances are you heard that "rumour", indirectly, from me (I've posted it before, too). Here's the proof:

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Run a long game HoE solo with flammer, you will find that the firebug is full of bugs. MANY bugs. Never dying zeds burning everywhere and random raging fleshpounds (much harder on fleshpound because one game you only get 5, normally).
I actually don't have any problems with the Flamer, but the Mac10 is a completely different story. And mostly just regarding Crawlers.

I wondered why the MAC10 rips Husks' heads off so easily when, in theory, they should be resistant to it, but had never thought to check. Thanks for the info.
If you meant the literal way of "rips Husks' heads off", i don't think the Husks are supposed to be resistant to the bullets' initial damage (and thus why you can just fullauto them at close range to pretty much literally rip their heads off :p)
But if you mean it in a general way of saying that the Mac10 is just really deadly against the Husk, then yeah i agreed with your statement totally, that the Husk should perhaps be resistant to its burn damage.
On the other hand, i guess you could say that the incendiary bullets burn from the INSIDE (burning after the bullets go deep inside the body), thus explaining the Husks weakness to that particular burn damage. I dunno *shrugs*

Chances are you heard that "rumour", indirectly, from me (I've posted it before, too). Here's the proof:

Spoiler!
Yeah among other people, i saw that post of yours (which reminded me to post it here in this thread). But i have NO CLUE what all that code means, as i know absolutely nothing about programming xD

Upvote 0
I actually don't have any problems with the Flamer, but the Mac10 is a completely different story. And mostly just regarding Crawlers.

If you meant the literal way of "rips Husks' heads off", i don't think the Husks are supposed to be resistant to the bullets' initial damage (and thus why you can just fullauto them at close range to pretty much literally rip their heads off :p)
But if you mean it in a general way of saying that the Mac10 is just really deadly against the Husk, then yeah i agreed with your statement totally, that the Husk should perhaps be resistant to its burn damage.
On the other hand, i guess you could say that the incendiary bullets burn from the INSIDE (burning after the bullets go deep inside the body), thus explaining the Husks weakness to that particular burn damage. I dunno *shrugs*

Yeah among other people, i saw that post of yours (which reminded me to post it here in this thread). But i have NO CLUE what all that code means, as i know absolutely nothing about programming xD

KFStatsAndAchievements.AddFlameThrowerDamage(Amount); KFStatsAndAchievements.AddMac10BurnDamage(Amount);

That's what's important

Upvote 0

Mac-10 just having more often problems on crawlers or the cause of the bug is much easier to achieve. However if you play with the flammer long enough solo (because mutiplayer zeds die too quickly), you will find that flammer and flame nades can also set enemy on fire endlessly. Reducing their health to 1 if burn long enough.

Upvote 0
Mac-10 just having more often problems on crawlers or the cause of the bug is much easier to achieve. However if you play with the flammer long enough solo (because mutiplayer zeds die too quickly), you will find that flammer and flame nades can also set enemy on fire endlessly. Reducing their health to 1 if burn long enough.

I did not understand your post, may you rephrase it ?

Upvote 0
Alright, so Grenade Launchers and Rocket Launchers at close range, and hitech Fireball Launchers at any range apparently are "sniper" weapons >_>

That makes... sense... :rolleyes: :p

Scary, have you told TWI about this so they can fix all these errors?

I think the melee and mac10 behavior is intentional. The MAC10 DOT could have easily been left to be the same damage as flamethrower, but they went out of their way to specifically keep the burn damage to be MAC10 damage. Same with the melee weapons and head shots. They could have just left the head shot bonus to be always applied (1.0x for non sharpshooters), but specifically added an extra check for melee damage.

Upvote 0
Quick question regarding damage in general regarding the firebug perk. For example, if I'm hosing the husk with flamethrower, am I getting damage for the flame output? Or the total amount of damage being done to the specimen til it dies, i.e. damage = specimen health? I'm thinking it's the latter, but I'm not sure.

Upvote 0
Same with the melee weapons and head shots. They could have just left the head shot bonus to be always applied (1.0x for non sharpshooters), but specifically added an extra check for melee damage.
True. For what it's worth, though, I think it'd make more sense to move that check into the Sharpshooter's headshot bonus function now that it accepts a DamageType parameter (bearing in mind that the melee damage exclusion pre-dates that change).

Upvote 0
Quick question regarding damage in general regarding the firebug perk. For example, if I'm hosing the husk with flamethrower, am I getting damage for the flame output? Or the total amount of damage being done to the specimen til it dies, i.e. damage = specimen health? I'm thinking it's the latter, but I'm not sure.

You don't get damage awarded for overkill so you're right, the latter is the true.

Upvote 0
Great to know about husks and the MAC10, this info has already saved me a fair amount of ammo.

Also, if the husk gun is so powerful in Sharp's hands, and is light enough to carry a either a LAR or a Handcannon AND a .44m [once they fix the 44] how viable do you think that actually would be for regular play, assuming you could pay the firebug or switch perks to get it at the discount?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great to know about husks and the MAC10, this info has already saved me a fair amount of ammo.

Also, if the husk gun is so powerful in Sharp's hands, and is light enough to carry a either a LAR or a Handcannon AND a .44m [once they fix the 44] how viable do you think that actually would be for regular play, assuming you could pay the firebug or switch perks to get it at the discount?

I think still mostly useless. You only get 15 fully charged shots and it really hampers the sharpshooter against fleshpounds. But I'd use it just because lar/m14 or xbow/hc gets repetitive.

Upvote 0