• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Random Starting Spawn

Six_Ten

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006
aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com
I have a very large map with three main avenues of attack. I would like to have the attacking Germans start together at one of the three avenues so the defending Russians do not know which to defend. Depending on which gate is taken first other objectives then become available.

How do I set three potential start spawn points for the attackers and at game start select one at random?

It shoiuld be possible to do this.

Specifically, it can be done with a combination of a scripted sequence/trigger and the temporary spawn I describe in the advanced spawn tutorial.

I'll describe the process at a high level:

1. Set up a scripted trigger to generate a random number (between 1 and 3).
2. Depending on the result, trigger an event (for example, spawn1, spawn2, or spawn3).
3. Create 3 spawn areas with tags spawn1, spawn2, and spawn3. Set them to all be disabled at the start of play.

Now, if all works properly, the scripted trigger should start processing at level start. It generates a random number and fires a trigger, enabling one of your disabled spawns.

Caveats:

1. It's going to be crazy trying to integrate that with further spawns. This may all fall apart if you find you have to have another attacker spawn farther into the map. Maybe no.

2. Consider carefully how the players are going to react to not knowing where one side is going to spawn.

Good luck.

Upvote 0