• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Random server crash when playing

®omano

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
France
www.hellsoldiers.tk
There is an issue plaguing dedicated server since a few month, a few updates back, maybe more, but I noticed since the last map contest announcement that there was random server crashes, which I never seen before. They are always the same kind.
Here is the first post I made about the issue: https://forums.tripwireinteractive....ntest-winners-announced.2332985/#post-2333002
During my test session with all the custom maps announced I had a crash on Twisted Story, and at that time I though, ho well, a problem with a custom map, nothing abnormal.

To be clear, my server usually never crashed before, without a human error involved somewhere, it was pretty stable overall. I run multiple servers since Early Access and I can assure you I know what I'm talking about and saw the improvement over time for servers, but I also can see now the stability problem rising. I used to sometimes run my servers without an issue for month(s), and restarting only when I needed to reboot the machine itself.

But since a few updates, not sure when it really started, I have random crashes, not REGULARLY, but often enough to consider it to be a problem that may need to be looked at.

The error every time my server crashes, is always the same, in the link above you can look at the log part, but I will paste other crash log example here too. It has always something to do with 'Octree Warning (AddPrimitive) something something'

[243746.95] Log: Applying property bBlocked for object KFPathnode_194
[243746.95] Log: Applying property bBlocked for object KFPathnode_25
[243749.19] ScriptLog: failed to recover from knockdown PHYS_RigidBody False True
[243751.16] ScriptWarning: Damage Type KFDT_Explosive_Shrapnel has not had its weapon definition initialized
KFGameInfo_Survival KF-AIRSHIP.TheWorld:persistentLevel.KFGameInfo_Survival_0
Function KFGame.KFGameInfo:GetLastHitByDamageType:01A0
[243751.16] ScriptWarning: Damage Type KFDT_Explosive_Shrapnel has not had its weapon definition initialized
KFGameInfo_Survival KF-AIRSHIP.TheWorld:persistentLevel.KFGameInfo_Survival_0
Function KFGame.KFGameInfo:GetLastHitByDamageType:01A0
[243755.50] Log: Octree Warning (AddPrimitive): CylinderComponent_151039 (Owner: KF-AIRSHIP.TheWorld:persistentLevel.KFProj_BloatPukeMine_9) Outside World.

[243755.57] Log: JDR: Octree Trace (AddPrimitive) - Frames: 19
[243755.57] Log: .GSmvbx6ZFmvt1dmv1rtCot2 1b

^ MY paste is not going well, the forum doesn't accept it, it removes part of it (why I eventually posted it as a file in the link above), seems like some weird shenanigans happening when writing the log file during crash, maybe weird invisible character is inserted in the lines, so I joined this paste as a file in this thread too (weirdsht.txt) and joined another one (End of Launch-backup-2019.06.28-21.44.39.txt) with way more of these weird log lines at the end of log file.

So this is happening on any map, official or custom. Sometimes it happens on a server started since a week, sometimes it happens after one or two maps after server start.. this is completely random (probably there is a reason but seems random to me). It happens when people play on it, not when it is empty.

What seems to be relevant is this:

Log: Octree Warning (AddPrimitive): CylinderComponent_151039 (Owner: KF-AIRSHIP.TheWorld:persistentLevel.KFProj_BloatPukeMine_9) Outside World.
Log: JDR: Octree Trace (AddPrimitive) - Frames: 19
Log: Octree Warning (AddPrimitive): CylinderComponent_34781 (Owner: KF-TwistedStory.TheWorld:persistentLevel.KFProj_Rocket_RPG7_16) Outside World.
Log: JDR: Octree Trace (AddPrimitive) - Frames: 20

The parts in bold are ALWAYS here at the end of my log file when my server randomly crashes, and then after that the random characters weird lines that I never saw before these crashes started to happen.

Attachments

• weirdsht.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 5
  • End of Launch-backup-2019.06.28-21.44.39.txt
    427.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Beta server, issue still happening, random crash on KF-SANITARIUM

Same thing, Octree warning add primitive BS, then giberrish logging then crash.

[188139.98] Log: Octree Warning (AddPrimitive): CylinderComponent_72275 (Owner: KF-SANITARIUM.TheWorld:persistentLevel.KFProj_BloatPukeMine_12) Outside World.
[188140.00] Log: JDR: Octree Trace (AddPrimitive) - Frames: 19
[188140.00] Log: [UNABLE TO COPY PASTE THE PART AFTER THAT IT JUST DOESN'T COPY/PASTER PROPERLY IT CUTS EARLY IN THE LINES]

Attachments

• Launch(1).zip
    699.3 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Thanks. I'm currently wiping and reinstalling everything. Will start again on 'vanilla' and wait for one of these random crashes (if it occurs on pure fresh vanilla), then will add the workshop content to exclude a possibility of the problem being on my end with custom content. What is weird is that nobody noticed or report here for this exact crash I see for a few months now.

Upvote 0
I've been seeing logs similar to this in my servers, with the `Octree Warming` - but I can't say I've ever seen it result in a crash of my servers.
Generally when I see those messages, it's due to something buggy with a custom map, but your first log snippet shows it on a stock map.
Just based off what I can infer, I don't believe the crashes are tied to this error, or well, I don't believe the error is explicitly causing the crash. Are you constrained on resources in any way?
FWIW I am running a linux server as well and have been seeing this in logs since around/before the Halloween update. But no crashes

Upvote 0
My machine specs:

Intel i7-4790K (4c/8th) - 16GB DDR3 1333MHz - 250 GB SSD
Ubuntu Server 16.04 "Xenial Xerus" LTS (64bits)

I run other game servers on the machine but in general the resources usage is like that:
Screenshot_20191112_195814.png

But it is only the KF 2 server that cashes randomly, with this exact same pattern every time. My server basically has ALWAYS (let say always - 1%) this Octree warning logging at the end of the log file when I find it stopped/crashed.

I'm not sure why I'm the only one reporting this issue, there is a slight chance that problem is on my end, but I was never crashing before, or VERY RARELY, I could have my server up for a month without any issue for example, but I noticed since June 2019 that the recent instability of my server was directly linked to this error at the end of the log. I think I already tried a fresh server install back then, but I added back my workshop items immediately so in the end not sure if the issue was because of the workshop maps (even on official maps, maybe a workshop content installed on server can create issues on official maps I don't know). I'll see if it occurs again on 100% vanilla server now I reinstalled it again.

Something possible why people don't report the issue may be that they auto-restart their server daily and don't notice the crashes, or maybe they have inactive servers and as I noticed it always crashes when people are playing on it (NEVER when empty), that may be a reason why they don't crash, or else they just notice the crashes, but restart the server and simply don't report anything.

Upvote 0
source.gif

Upvote 0