• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ran the patch fine yesterday today steam updated itself now comp crashes every time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was weird for me last night too.
I patched it up then had a few games , then upon rebooting Steam wanted another update.
I let it update and when starting ROOST I got the blue screen...:eek: :mad:
Rebooted and restarted Steam to find my ROOST wasnt installed anymore ! lmao.
Was alot of debate on TS what the hell was going on, but in the end I just had to start DL ROOST again- it started at 34 % though , but still took an hour arrf.

Ok, DL ROOST again and started up the game.... you guessed it..blue as the sky.
By this time I was rather pissed to say the least. Rebooted a last time and everything was fine again, no problem starting the game and I had 3-4 hours of playtime.

Starting up Steam today and I got another small update, real small 1 , took 30 sec to update and have been running fine all day.

Upvote 0
Same problem here. Installed patch, played just fine for a few maps then BLAM! Game crashed like it usually does. Only this time when I restart the game instead of it starting again I get to watch my computer spontaneously reboot itself.

Ok, so I try without the -beta ro .. it redownloads the old version I guess and I get the "This game is not available" bit. Ok, try again with patch and I get the reboot.

Bah, ok, redownload the entire game again. Same thing.

Uninstall Steam and all stuff .. same thing.

So now I can no longer run the game at all it seems.

Usually reboots like this (I get no blue screen, just goes to black and then I'm watching the system post) it is tied to some bad hardware call.

This also has seemed to cause some issues with the file system which is a tad scary that this game can get this buggy. I'm glad I only use Windows for gaming to say the least.

So, any suggestions there RO dev types?

Upvote 0
Just a note to add that I had no problems running the game previously, my system ran it quite well and I was one of the first couple of players into a map most of the time. I thought I'd test the beta to see if it made it load even quicker, bad move I guess since now I cannot play the game at all.

Upvote 0
In my case ..

Error = nothing visible, when I click on the RO icon on the desktop it starts loading, then black screen then I am watching the system post.

Windows XP SP2
P4 3GB HT enabled (no overclocking)
1GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6200 (installed latest drivers to see if that helped, same thing)

No ZA, AV or antispyware installed. My Windows install is only for gaming and has RO, TS and CoD installed. I use Linux for my regular workstation needs.

The error that happened when I was playing I would have loved to have sent to you, but you see you neglected to fill in the URL bit when it came to tbe debugging stuff so all of us have basically given up on the "Submit this error" feature since it doesn't actually work. You submit the error and it comes back with "URL not found" since it was something like "tech.support.url" or something.

As mentioned, game ran great for me before the patch, now it is unusable. I might end up reinstalling Windows over the weekend but you guys have some serious bugs in this thing that you best get stamped out or you'll lose the community you are trying to build around the game. Our clan loves the game but these types of bugs will become show stoppers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Steamed

Steamed

I get exactly the same kind of crash as Tripster.

Update edit:
I just shut off steam, then went to my ro system folder in steam dir adn dbl clicked on the redorchestra icon and then the setup.exe icon. Each showed a command screen for a second, then I went back to desktop and clicked the game icon. Steam dl'ed a short update, tehn the game loaded. now I am back online at version 1001.

Tripster said:
In my case ..

Error = nothing visible, when I click on the RO icon on the desktop it starts loading, then black screen then I am watching the system post.

Windows XP SP2
P4 3GB HT enabled (no overclocking)
1GB RAM

No ZA, AV or antispyware installed. My Windows install is only for gaming and has RO, TS and CoD installed. I use Linux for my regular workstation needs.

The error that happened when I was playing I would have loved to have sent to you, but you see you neglected to fill in the URL bit when it came to tbe debugging stuff so all of us have basically given up on the "Submit this error" feature since it doesn't actually work. You submit the error and it comes back with "URL not found" since it was something like "tech.support.url" or something.

As mentioned, game ran great for me before the patch, now it is unusable. I might end up reinstalling Windows over the weekend but you guys have some serious bugs in this thing that you best get stamped out or you'll lose the community you are trying to build around the game. Our clan loves the game but these types of bugs will become show stoppers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Six_Ten said:
I get exactly the same kind of crash as Tripster.

Update edit:
I just shut off steam, then went to my ro system folder in steam dir adn dbl clicked on the redorchestra icon and then the setup.exe icon. Each showed a command screen for a second, then I went back to desktop and clicked the game icon. Steam dl'ed a short update, tehn the game loaded. now I am back online at version 1001.

Wish I could do the same, I deleted my RO folder as instructed here in the forums by a TW dev and it never did get rebuilt. I just have the downloaded game files with no RO folder around now.

Upvote 0
tell me it's a bad dream. I have the same problem. I ran the beta patch and everything was fine. This morning I've tried to play, and steam deleted my gcf files. i downloaded RO again, but now with -beta ro or without it, the pc keeps rebooting itself.
P4 2.6HT 800FSB; ASUS p4p800; 1GB ram DDR; radeon 9800Pro 128MB; Windows XP SP2.
Please help me.

Upvote 0
Tripster said:
Ok, uninstalled Steam ... went through the registry and removed any reference to it or orchestra .. reinstalled Steam into another folder, reinstalled the backed up game files ... success! I am able to run original version again .. not gonna touch that patch until that gets completely fixed :)

what did you use to search in the registry? I have also reinstalled steam but did not delete the registry. This looks like the only thing i havent done and is what I need to do.

Upvote 0
Ender said:
what did you use to search in the registry? I have also reinstalled steam but did not delete the registry. This looks like the only thing i havent done and is what I need to do.

Good old regedit :)

I searched first for "steam"

then I searched again for "orchestra"

Removing most of what I found other than some orchestra pointers to the screenshot folder, guess I could have removed those too.

My next step would have been format/reinstall but I really didn't wanna go that far, glad I only use Windows for games.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.