• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Ramming Tanks

RustyShackleford

Jun 27, 2008
Has anybody ever tried ramming another tank in close combat before? It suprisingly works pretty good. Iv found out when accidently running pass a Russain tank and in a panic turned around and rammed right into it. It was only able to hit the front armor of my tiger while (thx to its slightly higher turret) my gunner was able to hit weak positons on the russain tank. The only way it would have been able to hit my tiger anywere else would have been to back up and turn which would exspose the weaker spots. I went on to kill 2 other tanks like so before being picked off. Its a rlly cheap trick and can ruin the tank combat but works well when ur in trouble.

I read once about a t34 that ran over an entire German howitzer battery.

That's nothing in East Prussia those T34's drove right into mass crowds that were evacuating the land.
I think in Kursk they ran into each others tanks by accident really since from various accounts it was so chaotic you could not always see. I am not so sure they were trying to play bumper cars in the field:D

Upvote 0
I never do this (ok well not much ;)) because i'd rather blast the drivers brains out the motor from a comforting 500 meters. This tactic would be suicidal in a german tank due to reload times and turret traverse, in the t34/76 where you have nothing to lose and decent armor and reload, it could be a solid tactic with a 2 man crew.

Upvote 0
I never do this (ok well not much ;)) because i'd rather blast the drivers brains out the motor from a comforting 500 meters. This tactic would be suicidal in a german tank due to reload times and turret traverse, in the t34/76 where you have nothing to lose and decent armor and reload, it could be a solid tactic with a 2 man crew.

I found the Tiger stands up very well at close range. Even tho the reload time aint the fastest the armor should be enough protection while u chip away at the enemy tank. I wouldnt try it with anything other than a Tiger or Panther. (if you are playing the German side)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found the Tiger stands up very well at close range. Even tho the reload time aint the fastest the armor should be enough protection while u chip away at the enemy tank. I wouldnt try it with anything other than a Tiger or Panther. (if you are playing the German side)

You got lucky. Smart tankers would have just used your traverse speed against you. At short distances the Tiger has serious problems. It may have the armor for it, but by no means does it have the turret speed. Also due to its shape and in game physics, you're unlikely to flip the other tank. The Russian tanks this may be useful, but like said before, traverse, reload, and weak spots make this a poor tactic for German tankers.

Upvote 0
Don't know how often it works, but I've seen some t34s ram into the side of a panther or tiger and lift it up off the ground, sometimes to turn it over on its side.

I got rammed by a T34 in Arad long time ago, struck my Tiger in the right with full force, the impact turned everything upside down, my buddies saw it from the distance and they say that the Tiger landed on its left side, not a complete roll...it was a really scary/unexpected situation.

One of my buddies brewed the insolent T34.

Upvote 0
This all sounds kinda horrifying to me. I just can't imagine having the audacity to actually ram a tank in real life. Talk about desperation, you know they probably thoguht they weren't going to live through that and yet they did. Crazy sonsa*****es...

that being said, I have actually kocked a P4 down the cliff by ramming it full-speed with my t34 on Orel.

Upvote 0