• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ramble on tanks, armor and other stuff...

Yep, I had a similar "request" when we first learned about tanks being in game, but I can't remember if there has been any answer to the subject (how the smoke comes up when the tank moves/fires).

Although. if you watch the "Never Surrender" trailer, you can notice the dust when the tank comes to a stop to aim at the sniper. So it seems that they have taken into concern this little visual detail. Now I hope it is actually ingame and not just added for the trailer ;)

You can check the dust at 1:15 YouTube - Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad PAX 2010 Never Surrender Trailer [HD]

Upvote 0
Yep, I had a similar "request" when we first learned about tanks being in game, but I can't remember if there has been any answer to the subject (how the smoke comes up when the tank moves/fires).

Although. if you watch the "Never Surrender" trailer, you can notice the dust when the tank comes to a stop to aim at the sniper. So it seems that they have taken into concern this little visual detail. Now I hope it is actually ingame and not just added for the trailer ;)

You can check the dust at 1:15 YouTube - Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad PAX 2010 Never Surrender Trailer [HD]

You can also see some dust/smoke after the tank fires its cannon.

Upvote 0
Came across this classic thread from the dead while doing a forum search. Read through it again.

It's an interesting read after playing the tanks a bit. Curious what the tread-heads may have to add in light of playing the beta.

At some point in the thread, Alan mentioned the turret being very vulnerable in the T-34. That does seem to be the case in the game. He also mentioned, the glacis would be pretty hard to crack. Unless I am wrong (and I am never wrong), that doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for the subject of the 7.5cm KwK40 L/43 versus the 45mm glacis of the T-34:

The 7.5cm KwK40 L/43 was, as all German guns, extensively tested and found capable of the following average performance against a 250-265 BHN RHA target plate tilted at an angle of 30 degrees from the vertical:

PzGr.39 (6.8 kg, APCBC-HE, 740 m/s):
100m = 99mm @ 30 deg
500m = 91mm @ 30 deg
1,000m = 81mm @ 30 deg
1,500m = 72mm @ 30 deg
2,000m = 63mm @ 30 deg

In addition to this it is noted by Livingston & Bird, that the German test plates were of unusually high quality throughout the war, which would mean performance was even greater in practice versus Allied armour. (Worth keeping in mind) The quality & nose hardness of German AP projectiles were also higher than those of the other major countries.

T-34 front upper hull glacis specifications:
Actual thickness: 45mm
Slope/Tilt: 60 degrees from the vertical
Straight line relative thickness: 90mm
Type: Rolled Homogeneous Armour
Brinell Hardness Number: 420-430 BHN

With all this information in mind I would make an educated guess that straight on, with no lateral angle, the 7.5cm KwK40 L/43 was effective with the PzGr.39 against the T-34's 45mm glacis plate out to between 500 & 600 meters.
I would just like to point out your educated guess of 500 to 600 meters. The weapon in question is penetrating 91mm @ 30 deg at 500m whereas the straight line relative thickness of the T34 is 90mm @ 0 degrees. Therefor you have to convert the weapon's penetration numbers to 0 degrees. The result would be about 1,200 meters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0