• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radar on RO HOS - Big Error of Tripware

Celonius

May 25, 2010
I have seen some videos of that in the lower right corner of the screen shows a radar map information your units and some enemy units.
Read on a website that will introduce a radar to show a track where you can be the enemy. Estro is a big mistake, this is anti-red orchestra. Red Orchestra is unrealistic even in the map, only the player has a map showing the terrain and capture points, nothing more. In the Second World War no one had a magical map which showed where your teammates were much less "tracks" where is the enemy.
Tripware is a big mistake, but hey it makes sense, in that same interview said they wanted to introduce players Moder Warfare 2 (children aged 12-13 years who do not know what is playing without sight, which is team play and only care about making the best score).
Anyway, I do not like the direction it is taking the game, I think it will be less realistic for these details shown, first was the radar, I do not know what will be next.
Then what is that to introduce a mod Deatch Team Match, another big mistake that remains realistic. The strength of RO was his only game mode, but in the war that was the only "game mode" conquer territories !!!!!
Finally add countdown mode, where you will get life for killing and achieve goals, very real if (ironically), I believe that 70 years ago people went to the front to get lives.

It is on track to become the new Call of Duty Eastern Front, some kids will come with their jumps.

In short, we can always play the Red Orchestra 1 and its mods.

Very bad Tripware, $$$$$$$ >>>>> Realism and RO players, thats all right?

Last edited:
chill out pal - things will be fine.
but even if TWi decide to compromise realism to earn more corn, i don't think anyone has the right to complain about that anyway.

Hehe, I don't want to start an argument here, but as customers we have every right to complain our asses off whenever we see something we don't like, and ultimately it is us ( all the prospective customers ) who will decide if the next game is a success/earns more money or not :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you already made a post about it, Celonius, if you are gonna spam about every complain with such a childish attitude you are not gonna be taken seriously.

oh, and Its not a Radar, but that was explained before and you decided to ignore that and spam, instead of discussing it.

I shall do the same and put you in my ignore list then.

In a previous post I said so in the field of battle there are other factors that make you see enemy units or friends outside your line of sight or beyond what you see on screen.
Well, there are only two ways by which you perceive your enemy activity; One of them is the view which is what you see on screen, and what you see is what you get, and the second is the ear, what you hear , shots, shots, enemy movements ...
Nothing more, no more factors, there was a small map where you pointed out with your friends green triangles and a red triangle if he had an enemy.
If you wanted to know where enemy activity was you had to guide you through your instinctive and your classmates, and it works RO1.
In RO1 if you kill an enemy sniper or you do not know from where it kills you, as it should be. Now insurance will a red triangle or something indicating that there was someone there, there was a shot or anything, error.
You say that my attitude is childish but I think that yours is a fanboy. In all, all that replied to defend TWI, you work for them? because more than one client look like a producer TWI.
Things are as they are, from the moment they say they want to attract players of COD are summarized in MW2 = $$$$$$$. And I really think it will attract players of MW2 with realism as the RO in January? No, it did not work when they did, now put things like the radar or whatever you want to call that shows you not the exact position of the enemy but if tracks and not have to be so, that life has existed.
That said, it will be very soon, Rohos will be an alpha, etc ... But we'll see it is, I only know that As you can not trust that it will be less RO1 more realistic when they say they want to attract an audience of COD MW2, a public ARCADE.

Upvote 0
I believe tripwire removed the radar. And replaced a different system utilising peripheral dots in the edge of the screen noting movement.

From the ve3d article:
They began toying with the idea of peripheral vision, as the Red Orchestra series doesn't need a radar, and what's more realistic than being able to detect motion outside of your field of vision? They pulled some inspiration from an old flight sim, which used the idea of giving a subtle indicator when something was approaching from your periphery. The new Red Orchestra experience is going to utilize a similar system in which you'll get a small indicator letting you know that there's an enemy in your peripheral vision.

Dots on the edge of the screen are similar to what arma uses and some flight sims. Although everything depends on how quickly it will detect an enemy. And whether you can turn it off or not. As you don't want the system to notice an enemy that is laying down or running behind some bushes or tall grass for instance. And hopefully it won't show enemies with a red dot and friendlies with a green dot or something similar, but that shows both with the same color..

(Personally I hope that all aids that could help you detect an enemy before you actually truly detected him yourself are turned off by default in realistic realism).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe tripwire removed the radar. And replaced a different system utilising peripheral dots in the edge of the screen noting movement.

From the ve3d article:

Dots on the edge of the screen are similar to what arma uses and some flight sims. Although everything depends on how quickly it will detect an enemy. And whether you can turn it off or not. As you don't want the system to notice an enemy that is laying down or running behind some bushes or tall grass for instance. And hopefully it won't show enemies with a red dot and friendlies with a green dot or something similar, but that shows both with the same color..

(Personally I hope that all aids that could help you detect an enemy before you actually truly detected him yourself are turned off by default in realistic realism).

And I must add. The "dot" could very well be a veeeery transparent and veeeery fuzzy round shape, so it wouldn't be so clear to see it.

Upvote 0
Yes that's what I suggested it in one of my threads which is here:
[URL]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41720[/URL]

The dot indicating an enemy should only give approximate and possible place of enemy unless it's a right window or left window, the farther the distance is the less precise that pointing should be I think so players couldn't shoot exactly where the dot is with their MG42 and kill the enemy easily. Perhaps there should be more randomness of this dot on bigger distances to be not too accurate, or reduced beacuse of the low experience of the soldier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hehe, I don't want to start an argument here, but as customers we have every right to complain our asses off whenever we see something we don't like, and ultimately it is us ( all the prospective customers ) who will decide if the next game is a success/earns more money or not :)

You can't have everything you want, sadly the universe doesn't orbit around one mans head. Some things need to be sacrificed in order for gameplay, flow.. it's still gonna be very realistic.

It's not an army military training sim, it's still a game the last time i checked.

Upvote 0
I'm sure we've said it all before, but...

The aim with all these things we are trying out is to feed the player he would have in the real world - no more, no less.

For example, in Ostfront, you have a field of vision restricted to about 90 degrees. In the real world (yes, we did the reading and tested it out) you have very detailed vision in a small central core area, good vision out to about 90 degrees (color detection tails off) and peripheral vision to about 180-190 degrees (very limited color vision). That peripheral vision will detect motion well, but you'll struggle to say what it is...

When someone gets shot, you pretty much know where the bullet hit you, without having to check a little icon. A bullet whipping by very close will usually give you an impression of which direction it came from. It isn't going to pinpoint some bastard with a sniper rifle - but you WILL know it came from left/right/roughly.

When you are moving with a group of people, you have a pretty good idea where they are from the combination of sight (you seeing them) and sound (hearing them, them talking etc). When one of your mates jumps through a doorway, he doesn't immediately vanish from your perception!

Again, in the real world, you can glance around you as you move, checking where people are. You can't do that easily in game and keep running across a road. Your direction of movement in game follows where you are looking, so you can't really glance round as you run, without running into things a lot :)

So - the key aim in the game is to ensure the player gets some approximation (closer than in the original RO) to the information he gets in the real world. It is about using smart UI in game to make the game MORE realistic, not less!

Upvote 0