• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions from a BF2 refugee

if you dont want people to get mad at you as a newbie in the game theres a few things you need to avoid. Like dont take a tank class on a combined arms map. if theres only one or two tanks per team let the skilled players take the tanks. learn tanks on maps that have a bunch of tanks. and dont take squad leader or sniper untill you know what your doing and can do well with the normal rifles or semi auto rifles.

people dont frown on the sniper rifles in RO simply because a normal bolt action rifle is just as accurate and just as powerful. only real advatntage the sniper rifle has is being able to see farther.

Upvote 0
Overall feel - exactly what I was looking for. Intense. Hard. Scary. Difficulty is a bit high to start, I think because there's no little transparent map up in the corner of the screen, you have to pull a map up and stop moving/fighting to view it (as far as I can tell) and because it seems pretty tough to determine friend or foe - I see the blue names of friends when close enough, but no red over enemy? Do you just have to be able to discern via location and uniform?

quote]

RO's focus has been on realism.
It isnt the most realistic game out there, but it is the most realistic online game out there (IMO).
Things you can do easy in real life, should be easy to do ingame, and things hard to do in real life, should also be hard to do ingame, has been the motivation behind things.
IRL you dont get handy blinking icons over friendly soldiers, so you wont get them in RO. (and in my very honest opinion, even the names over friendlies closeby should be removed as well, but its no biggie)
It's why teammates arent visible on the minimap either. If you want to know where your team is, keep track of them yourself, or coordinate with them (cause people will walk away when your not looking :p)
If you are in doubt if a soldier is friendly or not, check the colour on your arm sleave and compare it to the enemy.

Upvote 0
Overall feel - exactly what I was looking for. Intense. Hard. Scary. Difficulty is a bit high to start, I think because there's no little transparent map up in the corner of the screen, you have to pull a map up and stop moving/fighting to view it (as far as I can tell) and because it seems pretty tough to determine friend or foe - I see the blue names of friends when close enough, but no red over enemy? Do you just have to be able to discern via location and uniform?

quote]

RO's focus has been on realism.
It isnt the most realistic game out there, but it is the most realistic online game out there (IMO).
Things you can do easy in real life, should be easy to do ingame, and things hard to do in real life, should also be hard to do ingame, has been the motivation behind things.
IRL you dont get handy blinking icons over friendly soldiers, so you wont get them in RO. (and in my very honest opinion, even the names over friendlies closeby should be removed as well, but its no biggie)
It's why teammates arent visible on the minimap either. If you want to know where your team is, keep track of them yourself, or coordinate with them (cause people will walk away when your not looking :p)
If you are in doubt if a soldier is friendly or not, check the colour on your arm sleave and compare it to the enemy.

Yes that is all so true! BTW there is also bullet drop too for both tank shells, and all bullets in the game. So if you lead your target and still miss it may be that your leading too much/too little, or that he is so fare away you need to aim above him a bit more. Not like in BF mind you where you would have to aim like well above the target, but it's more realistic.

Agian there is no cone of fire in ROOST eathier. It's all baised soly on recoil and it works well. The PPSH is great for close combat, and can lay down alot of bullets for a long time, but it's recoild is a major draw back because you have to keep it in control or your not going to hit anything other than your own team that is if they run in front of you.

There are also Nade duds. Yes thats right, some times your nade will not go off and it will just sit there till it goes away. Means you have to make every toss count. Because if it turns out the one you tossed is a dud you will have to toss another nade out there. Nades are also not nukes ala COD, but they are deadly in close combat. Most of the time you will only take minor damage from a nade that is 20 feet away, but you still take damage.

Also arty can be deadly but it's not over powering like it is in BF2. IE 40 feet away from the blast and behind a rock/in a building will save you big time in ROOST. there are also different types of arty in the game:

Random arty: This is for infantry maps that are too small for players to be able to place arty without killing their whole team. It acts like a ambiants but it can still take you out if your not paying attention. IE I had a whole advance of 8 men cut down to 3 by one random shell in the Winter map of a Stalingrad. It was funny, but it realy made us lose the round because both teams had no more tickets left LOL!

Player arty: as the name shows this is controled by the Squad Leader and only the Squad Leader. Mind you he dose not place it anywhere on the map by useing his map he has to get to a near by Radio, place it useing his binoculars, then call in the fire mission, and then wait for command to respond. if they can you should hear the thumps of arty in the background, then hear the roar of the shells over head then simply watch the fire works as the shells impact the ground and leave a cool black scorch mark where they land.

Upvote 0
1. I try to be a good team player, but I realize I'll start as a pretty low skilled newbie. How tolerant are people in the games of someone just learning the game?

-Watch the nades and friendly fire
-Don't drive a transport vehicle unless you know what you are doing
-Don't jump in a tank with someone else until you know what you are doing
-Warn your team mates before you use arty

2. For various reasons, I preferred playing as a sniper in BF, but not a hang back and pick off people camper style - I tried to move up and support my team as they took objectives, trying to take out the pesky machine gun nest or that guy who was picking off our people as they tried to take an objective, etc. But I know sniper was looked down upon in the BF community - how is it seen in the RO community?

Most maps don't even have a sniper position, but in general no one gets mad at you for being being a coward in RO. In fact, its the suicidal people trying to take well guarded hopeless objectives in a charge that will sap all the reinforcements and your team will loose.

But it really depends on the map... And actually, you can snipe fairly good without a sniper rifle with either the German and Russia rifle. You just have to practice shooting at pixels and knowing where the enemy is without a clear view of their uniform.

This takes practice and sometimes angry team mates, but if you know the general patterns of enemy movement on the map, you can generally assume that silhouette of the person is the enemy.

Oh and speaking of which... Try not to run through spots where the enemy generally uses (like coming out of the sewers on Leningrad in the direction of your team)

Many people will shoot first before they realize you are on their side.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the tips, guys! I went online today, Danzig I believe it was (the map with the two bridgeheads and command centers.) There was a real satisfaction to actually taking an enemy soldier down that I haven't felt for a long time in BF2! ;) And of course, I was killed - a lot. But I started finding some spots with good fields of fire, some places where I could actually help cap and provide some defensive fire, and I learned patience. Not enough, but some. :rolleyes: Also, going prone seems to help a lot in some situations.

Nothing but the bolt rifle for me - a lowly soldier with his bolt rifle is my place in the war for a while. Plus, it just has a nice sound and "feel" even though it is difficult for me to see well enough to plug someone far away (realistic.) I do forget to work the bolt, and the heart rate starts when you see someone running at you and you know you've got one shot to take him down, because it will take too long if you miss.

I think I'll stay on a couple of infantry only maps to learn the ropes and my role, then move to a mixed map. How is the anti-tank infantry role in RO?

Upvote 0
Welcome!

I too got tired of the lamers in BF1942. I think you'll like RO.

1. I try to be a good team player, but I realize I'll start as a pretty low skilled newbie. How tolerant are people in the games of someone just learning the game?

People are very tolerant to newbies. Just don't ask about crosshairs on run into primed satchels bags thinking they contain candy:)

You might want to consider just shooting bots in practice mode for a few hours / days before going online. That way you can learn the game mechanics a bit better. Don't forget, you can rest your rifle on horizontal and vertical surfaces!

Furthermore, RO is definitely the game with the best teamwork around currently. There are hardly any annoying people on voice comms and if you start calling out enemy locations with your microfone, there are usually a few people that respond. Check out some of the 50 player servers, teamwork can be great there.

In other words, get a headset if you haven't already and use your voice to call out tactics!:)

But I know sniper was looked down upon in the BF community - how is it seen in the RO community?

Thanks, and look forward to seeing you guys.
People usually won't call you a "camper" in RO because "camping" is essentially a gamey term for "defending". And defending is an important aspect of the game.

No, people don't really look down on snipers unless maybe a sniper hardly racks up any kills. In RO the role of the sniper can be very important if the other team has a good machine gunner. A good sniper continuously fills up the upper right corner with his name, but doing that is very difficult.

I too recommend you start practicing with the bolt-action rifles first.

Again, welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the bolt will be automatic to work later.. i sometimes forgets i even worked the bolt and shoot again.. hmm still have to work on my skills:)

about snipers in "other" games and RO.. well i see it kinda like this.. in other games CS, BF2, etc you are "sucky" if you die.
in RO dieing is a big part off the game... actually ppl sacrifice them self for "the greater good" in RO more often then CS, BF.. at least i do.. sure.. you get mad beeing sniped. I've gotten like.. 5ppl in a row in a game.. not newbies but good guys.. better then me.. in CS and BF they would have bunnyjumped past me and shot my in my head :)

well about booring ppl.. you will find some occasional TK in RO, some of them just hurt you making you an easytarget for the enemy.

about taking out snipers and MGs.. a good rifleman can allways bring them down.. the rifle is a very nice weapon ive brung down many MGs and snipers with it.. grenades is also a nice way:) if you are lucky to get one close.

Danzig is a nice map to start out with..
remember to aim a bit over the guy if he's really far away:)

and being in capzones really helps everyone in your team even if your a n00b:) as long as you don't grenade your whole team:D

Upvote 0
Yeah, Danzig is probably the best map to start out with, as it's mainly close quarters and will satisfy you pretty quickly. I'd suggest checking out TulaOutskirts and SmolenskStalemate, both are great infantry maps. Oh, and normal bolt is the best gun to start out with, I only just moved past that after playing for 7 or 8 months (then again I just upgraded from 512mb of RAM too :p).

Upvote 0
....How is the anti-tank infantry role in RO?
if you learn to hit with Panzerfaust on 50-100 meters than you will be antitank beast... and it is huge fun to see some poor tanker driving around Konigsplatz and dying again and again thanks to your faust-cover :)

...oh and do not forget that with Panzer faust you can set aiming distance with "bayo attach" button

Upvote 0
The Panzerfaust is an effective AT weapon, but if you end up with a PTRD as the Russians, you'd better study the tank charts. I'd link them, but I forget where they are. They basically show you where the key locations are on various tanks, where a hit will result in something happening, e.g. broken track, broken engine, exploding ammo storage (a good thing). If you don't hit those, all you'll do is make them angry and likely draw attention to yourself (a bad thing).

Also, remember that armour will deflect projectiles more effectively at angles, so try to get a 90 degree angle of attack wherever possible to minimise the chance of having your shot bounce harmlessly off.

Upvote 0
Welcome.

I am an older player and you will find that this is about the most mature community you could hope for. No real cheats that I know of and when you do get a knucklehead, they are usually found out and banned soon enough.

My recommendations. Just practice a little bit with the bots and then get on line. You will pick it up fast. Follow your teammates and see what they are doing. I am only a middling player but have not gotten much grief. Apologise when you screw up and there should be no problems.

Leave the sniper, and leader-artillery role to more experience players. They are important. That does not mean you don't want to try them. They are much fun.
Bolt action is tough to learn but satisfying. There are some rock solid killers with the bolt out there.

Nothing wrong with the semi autos and assault weapons. They are more forgiving for the beginner.

Lately, I have been playing machine gunner and learning quite a lot. I stayed away from it at first as it is hard and you are a prime target and can die a lot-especially in the attack. Now it is my favorite weapon. Machine gunners won't score high but are important for suppressing and controling avenues of approach.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AT Roles:

As a German, to be a good AT man a lot is expected from you, depending on the map. In Konigplatz, taking out tanks is first priority. In Ogledow, you are primarily an infantryman who should get in the cap zones.

Find a ammo dump (red circle with white line through it on the map) and some cover. You will go through fausts fast, especially if you take the longer range shots (800-100 meters.) Learn to be somewhat accurate at 100ish meters, and you will be invaluable to your team in many maps, because you will deny enemy tanks huge swaps of the map.

Also make suer to take out UCs and Clown Cars (basically everything painted forest green.) To take out a clown car, wait till its rather close, lead a bit, and boom. (and really nothing else but a good MGer or a good tanker can take it out, but it will be much easier for you.) You also generally have a choice of an SMG or long range weapon semi-auto. If you take the semi-auto, stay in concealed positions at distances, killing infantry and shooting tanks with panzerfausts when they come along.

If you take the SMG, find a bottleneck where both tanks and infantry need to pass on the front line, and deny it to both.

As a Russian AT man, your job is primarily to hurt tanks. The first thing is...don't shoot a tank unless you are shooting at 90 degrees (the long direction on the barrel of the gun is perpendicular to the plane of the armor.) If you are shooting at the rear of a tank, you can sometimes ignore this, because many tanks have very thin rear armor. Try and hit an ammo box. The closer the range, the more damage you will do.

However, even if you think you are to far away, etc, to kill a tank, on a primarily tank map, often if you think you can at least penetrate, its worth taking the shot. If you penetrate, although you will often give your position away and need to hide a minute or so, you will often bring the tank from "green health" to "yellow health" (it goes green, yellow, red, dead.) A yellow health tank is much easier for friendly tankers to deal with for a variety of reasons.

As a Soviet AT man, its often your job to disable the engines on HTs. Learn how to do this, and it will seriously help your team and hurt german infantry's power on maps. Tanks are often to busy with other things, and other infantry just don't have the ability (unless they have fausts.)

Besides that, the AT rifle is excellent at killing infantry at range, but be careful of ammo, you don't get much. You also have a pistol, which makes you decent at Close Quarters Battles, often better than bolts. Unlike in other games, the Pistol is actually a very good weapon if you use it right. Recognize that it has the shortest range of pretty much any bullet firing weapon, but at extremely close ranges you can down a target by raising to IS (very fast on a pistol) and firing at the chest until they die, or hip shooting with the pistol (which is very effective, but you have a small mag so be careful.) SMGs will give you trouble in this area, but besides that you have a great gun for these situations.

Oh, and don't try and use panzerfausts against infantry. I do it for fun a lot, and 1) its a waste of fausts, 2) you have to hit them spot on, which can be harder than it sounds, 3) sometimes if you hit them spot on they just go 5 feet into the air instead of dying.

They are not like BF2 rocket launchers, they are not to be used against infantry.

Upvote 0
They are not like BF2 rocket launchers, they are not to be used against infantry.

Exactly.
Allthough you see an explosion, that is not what kind of damage it is used for. It's made to penetrate, and wont really explode ( i think.. set me straight if wrong, guys ) but just disable.
Therefor, aiming close to the ground for an infantryman, wont do him any damage, as it will only do something on direct contact. (wich is penetrate, nothing else)

Upvote 0
My few tips:

1) Map Objectives change often, check map and objs with O whenever you get a chance after an objective is capped.

2) Enemies won't have name tags, but tags alone will not be sufficient to prevent friendly fire kills as they only appear at short range. You'll get used to the uniforms.

3) Squad Leader is the only one who has smoke and who can use artillery (he marks a spot with his binoculars then calls it in on the radio).

4) Sometimes folks do get frustrated when they're losing and start blaming other players and saying what the sniper or tank or commander "needs to be doing". But you'll learn these roles eventually, so don't let it phase you, and never give up your class just because someone's calling you a noob. Learning take practice and sometimes practice involves getting hassled by folks who have a problem with losing a match. But that's all the flak that you're ever likely to take in this game.

I get it more often than many because I usually pick a specialized class, but really folks like that would blame something else if it weren't you, they won't give credit to the enemy's skills. :) Really no different than any other team shooter game in that respect.

5) Pick up dropped weapons with Z (it will swap weapons if you have a similar one already active). Don't forget the ammo. This is likely the only way you're going to get a sniper rifle at first, and nobody will complain about you picking up a dropped sniper rifle or not being good with it.

6) Good way to learn tanking is to be a tanker and hop in someone else's tank. But not as driver or gunner at first because those positions have a learning curve. Just take the hull MG position (#3) and mow down infantry targets - they won't mind. Note the tank's resistance to damage when angled at 45-degree angles to incoming fire.

7) Don't waste your time with bots, get in there and learn by doing and asking!

Upvote 0