• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Questions and Opinions about Orel tank map tactics

GonzoX

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006
home.roadrunner.com
Have a question for you Orel guys:

Is it considered bad form to arty a last remaining (indestructible) bridge when playing this map?

Reason I ask is because I was berated for doing just that the other night on a 88vs76 map. Admin was a real jerk about it when I tried to explain the tactic so I left. I would not be surpised if I am banned from that server. No big loss though. The Admin was constantly on public coms telling both sides what he was going to do which makes no sense what-so-ever. I got the feeling he really did not know what he was doing and simply liked to have an "audiance".

It has always been understood by me that the arty on the last bridge thing was a standard tactic for both sides. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I went to another Orel server and found some newb insisting that arty could take out the bridges. I corrected him on that but he was insistant that he saw it happen the other night. Is this possible? Never tried it on the destructible bridges.

My take on this is that if you are close enough to target the bridges then it would be quicker to just drive up and nade it rather than drive all the way back to a radio and waste a valuable arty call. Opinions?

I love the Orel map but for some reason it tends to attract tkers a lot. One reason being in that most Orel servers have vote kick turned off.

To those who run servers, please (for the love of God) turn vote kick option ON so we can boot the idiots out before they ruin a game.

Rant over.

I consider it bad form when the Russians waste an arty strike on a lone Tiger!(I've had four strikes attempted on my Tiger in one game consecutively. All failed!)
The two main bridges in Orel-South Lake and North Village-are indestructible. NO WEAPON in the game can destroy them. That includes artillery. The scourge of the other destructible bridges is the clown car/satchel attack. I'm only beginning to deploy anti-bridgebusting tactics in Orel.

Upvote 0
bridges on Orel will be blown by :
- Grenades
- Satchel charges
- Arty

In my opinion calling arty on the last remaining bridge is a common tactic - you dont wanna have more enemy gangs coming to take your precious North Village/South Lake do you?
And btw if theres arty on the bridge doesnt mean you cannot cross it alive - just wait for the right moment to start your run between 2 strikes ;)

Upvote 0
Gonzo: I totally agree:
I think it's totally legal to call in arty on the central bridges. Sometimes however arty is called in on the spawn zone (either by the enemy or some #^*% tkilling *^%&#) : that is bad form.

I think the team-killing in Orel is done by frustrated noobs who spend 10 minutes driving to the frontline and get shot without ever seeing the enemy several times in a row..

Upvote 0
Panzerkeil said:
Gonzo: I totally agree:
I think it's totally legal to call in arty on the central bridges. Sometimes however arty is called in on the spawn zone (either by the enemy or some #^*% tkilling *^%&#) : that is bad form.

I think the team-killing in Orel is done by frustrated noobs who spend 10 minutes driving to the frontline and get shot without ever seeing the enemy several times in a row..

The first time I experienced the spawn art, I was pissed. I finally found the guy doing it and MGed him. But I now use the tactic. The designer of the map deliberately put in radios so you can call in art on the spawn. Yes, deliberately. They are setup facing the spawn.

To counter this at least one teamate needs to run security. Either patrol your spawn area or rush over and blow up the bridge they use to sneak behind you.

Upvote 0
While I personally don't see anything wrong with calling artillery on the last bridge, I do find it a but odd that this is an all-tanker map and yet there are destroyable bridges.

If the map designer wants to include some engineers and other infantry to do this job... fine. But IMHO, none of the bridges should be destroyable because this map is about tank battles, not infantry.

The clown car also gives the Russians a massive advantage using this tactic.

Upvote 0
I like playing the Germans regardless of which version of the map it is.

Rather than just blowing bridges, get 2 or 3 tanks together, and go to the Eastern most Russian bridge. Cross it before blowing it up. Then have a little range on their side of the river. Most people don't expect enemy on their side of the river, so will not be travelling in strength or on the look out.

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
Where can you cross the river? I have never seen it and I have never found my way out after getting "ejected" from a bridge.

You can cross just about anywhere the grade is less than 45deg angle. It's how you attack it rather than where. You have to transverse the grade at an agle. As long as you are still moving forward you will get out eventually, just takes time.

If your vehicle stops then you are going up too sharp. Backup and try again at less of an agle.

It takes practice and lots of patience.

Upvote 0