• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions about Custom Perk Mods

CrashFu

Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2014
Ohio
Don't consider this a statement of intent just yet, I'm just curious about what is theoretically possible with mods..

Namely, mods for adding additional, custom perks to the game.

1) Could a perk be made to inherently require (and include in the mod) a specific character model?

Say for example, you wanted to make a perk representing a remote-controlled drone rather than a human (and go all X-com on the zeds). So you model and animate this drone separately, and make it mutually exclusive with the use of this perk which governs its unique abilitites. Or maybe instead of a drone it's something like a "liberated" or "turncoat" Zed that has inhuman, zed-like abilities in its perk, and also has special models.

2a) (related to the above) could a custom perk be disallowed the use of some (or all) off-perk weapons? Going with the above example, a drone would have to use custom weapons that are implied to be built into it; it couldn't just grab a Crovel. Or a turncoat zed may use its bare hands and biological abilities to fight, and may or may not be capable of using off-perk equipment.
2b) Could a custom perk have limitations on what it can do, IE "the drone cannot open or close doors, or it (or the zed) can pick up weapons for selling but it cannot actively use them (and selecting them in inventory automatically drops them?)

3) A custom perk isn't likely to be white-listed, since it could have abilities that break the game (or enable power-leveling other perks). When a player goes from white-listed modules to playing on a server with custom perks, would they retain their existing perk level, with XP progress frozen, or would they have a completely separate level progress, starting at 0, used whenever playing on a server running the mod?

4) Is it possible to make perks that represent a completely different form of play working in tangent with players using normal perks, IE could you have an RTS-view 'commander' who has no physical presence on the map, automatically "dies" if the rest of the team does (and cannot spawn solo) but has the ability to call in firing support or ammo drops or do things that buff players, etc.?

5) If any of the things I've described ARE possible, feel free to steal the ideas for your own projects. I'd love to see any of them but I've got at least three other, far less complicated mods I want to attempt first (and I've got a lot of tutorials to study before any of that can happen :eek: )