• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Question

malice

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Ok so I'm trying to learn the Unreal editor, my first time trying to make maps and so far so good. I'm using this tutorial http://www.planetunreal.com/architectonic/tutorials/first_level_part7.html
and I got to the Getting to your terrain from the level section this is where I got some problems. There not errors or anything but I am trying to connect the new area of my map with the terrain to the original area of the map. So I put the static mesh in there and added a few so it goes all the way to the out edge of the map with the mesh, then I removed the terrain that was in the way. Now the problem comes when I try to add another primitive to the map, doesnt matter where I add it the terrain still disappears. I am trying to add a flat piece that will act as the floor connecting the old and new area as the mesh doesnt includ a floor, only walls and a roof. So when I put it in and hit subtract from space all the terrain disappears.

Also two more questions

1. It is possible to move the whole terrain mesh (dont know if mesh is the right term) Like I created my box to hold the terrain but I wanted to move the terrain further down to the bottom (simple example) is it possible to select the whole thing and move it down.

2. Where and how can I create my own mesh for use in a map. I image this is something I would do i maya, does anyone have any good tutorials.

Your story isnt really clear but I take it your terrain dissappears when you add a primitive. Try a rebuild geometry or a rebuild all to solve this. Reopening your map can also help..

1) Yes, click on the binoculars on the top bar and search for TerrainInfo. Select it and drag it down like you would drag down a primitive, LMB+RMB and move mouse down if im not mistaking.

2) Indeed with Maya or 3dsmax.

Upvote 0
when you subtract a brush, the terrain disappears until you rebuild the map. I'm not sure exactly of the technical reason for this, but when it disappears, general rule of thumb is to rebuild the map. Keep with that tutorial, thats the best one I found to learn the ins and out of UEd.

When you say you want to create your own meshes, what do you have in mind? Buildings or smaller detailed things? There is some stuff that it might be a good idea to use brushes (bsp) for, especially when just starting out. You can make meshes in both maya and max, but I'm not sure on any specific tuts atm.

Upvote 0
First of all ... you said you substracted 2 cubes and want to connect them now?

if that its so then you should have 2 Zone actors ... cause they are seen as 2 substraction brushes and therefor 2 zones.

As for tutorials you should download the ones from 3Dbuzz. they have a maya to ued video tutorial and all. They are pretty good and you get the general idea of how to manage your workflow.
If you can get your hands on the UT2004 original extended package (the dvd version) you get them all on DVD.

Good luck and may i point out that there is an IRC channel for help on mapping and RO (although we can only guess at the retail cause there is so much we dont know) join #ro-leveldesign on gamesurge irc

Upvote 0