• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] How detailed will the tankcrewman hitzone be?

O'Shannon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
since the last videos showing of tank features and Ramm-Jeager was saying that tankcrewmen can be kill by shells penetrating the tank i asked myself:

will the tank-crewman hitzones be as detailed as the infantry ones?
or will there just be some simple boxes like this?

d9zkq1rl485f.png

and if its like the infantry one will we be able to hit the people that are performing the position change animation?

3ex8jatf8rsb.gif

Considering spalling and metal fragments that is created when a tank gets hit, I'd guess the "box" model would actually be more accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was thinking that. Area of effect is larger than just the shell that has penetrated so an extremely accurate damage model isn't needed. Not sure exactly how much damage spalling and metal fragments do though.

Upvote 0
Umm, where are the epulettes, cockade, and correct canteen cup on the models posted!?

But seriously, hit boxes. Would be fine for modeling AP round penetration. But what about getting hit with MG or rifle rounds when unbuttoned? What about PTRD rounds that penetrate?

Judging that the infantry hitboxes now model bones and soft tissue, the greatly detailed tank damage system with lots of systems to damage, and for the reasons above, I would expect TWI to model the hitboxes to at least the ROHOS infantry hitboxes (ie, the one on the right in the diagram).

Upvote 0
It will be tricky to do damage modelling realistically inside a tank, just because I imagine that things get pretty unpredictable when an AP shell penetrates the tank. Obviously you have the shell penetrating and hitting something, whether that be a crew member (likely) or just the inside of the tank (and possibly exiting out the other side). But when a shell hits a tank, it doesn't just make a perfect hole -- shell fragments, armor fragments, bolts, and other debris ricochet around inside the tank, making it a meatgrinder for the tank crew. And then there's the issue of a shell hitting the tank's fuel tank or ammo stores ...

I imagine TWI will have to develop a simplified damage model in tanks in order to keep things fun and still as realistic as possible ... we'll just have to see I guess.

Upvote 0
TWI said minimum once on this forum, the damage model is gonna be one of the most detailed ever made.

That what we can expect is something like WWII Online model

YouTube - WWII Online: Battleground Europe- Damage Model

However I'd like to know how detailed will be crewman hitbox itself. Does it work like in soldier damage system, so tank crewman can bleed out?

Upvote 0
Now i have to wonder if the bloodpools that come out of dead soldiers will also form inside a tank :eek:
Imagine all your other crewmembers have died, you look down at the floor and it's all red from blood lol, or blood dripping over equipment etc.
I'm sure getting hit by a piercing tankshell would have made a rather awful mess inside the tank :p

Upvote 0
Now i have to wonder if the bloodpools that come out of dead soldiers will also form inside a tank :eek:
Imagine all your other crewmembers have died, you look down at the floor and it's all red from blood lol, or blood dripping over equipment etc.
I'm sure getting hit by a piercing tankshell would have made a rather awful mess inside the tank :p

You, sir, are a sick man. =]

I would use that blood as war paint to scare off the Russian Hoards as I wait my ticket to Valhalla.

TWI said minimum once on this forum, the damage model is gonna be one of the most detailed ever made.

That what we can expect is something like WWII Online model

YouTube - WWII Online: Battleground Europe- Damage Model

However I'd like to know how detailed will be crewman hitbox itself. Does it work like in soldier damage system, so tank crewman can bleed out?

If TWI implemented a detailed system for RO2 panzers, I wouldn't buy any other game - ever!

Last edited:
Upvote 0