• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] How detailed will the tankcrewman hitzone be?

While it is true that there will be a much more detailed damage system, you can't get out of the tank to do infantry combat anyway, so I'm not so sure if it would make much of a difference, I could be wrong in that though.

If the tank is unbuttoned, then a rifle or even pistol round could penetrate. Hit to the heart / head would be a kill, but like infantry, a hit to the leg or arms wouldn't be too bad. Maybe there will be slow death in the tank.

Spalling, if modeled is another issue. The fragments could be modeled in the same manner HE grenades have the fragments modeled. So depending on where they get hit may matter with spalling.

Of course if a tank shell or AT rifle round penetrates, it would likely rip off a limb at the very least.

Upvote 0
well if you could i would be instant death for atleast gunner, comander and reloader. i think it would be pretty hard to do, maybe from a window above in an urban map.

That's assuming you're getting the nade into the commander's hatch. It might be easier getting one into the driver or MGer (if available) hatch, as it's closer to the ground.

What about a smoke grenade?

Upvote 0
I'd like detailed hitboxes, mainly because of the PTRD/S.

Or even in the tank, I want the tank combat to feel like it felt back in RO:CA where it felt much more precise, instead of hitting it with a football ball and pray for it to hit a critical area, which is how it feels in Ostfront.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's assuming you're getting the nade into the commander's hatch. It might be easier getting one into the driver or MGer (if available) hatch, as it's closer to the ground.

What about a smoke grenade?

yeah i did not think about that i just use the slit, but i smoke nade could be interesting. Perhaps you would need to be able to chuck it back out or scuttle the tank till it clears up.

Upvote 0
The vehicle crew collision is somewhere between those two, not as exact as the infantry, but not just big boxes. There is a pill shaped collision that pretty much matches the players head, and then a pill shaped collision that encompasses the player's torso and arms. And yes, a AT rifle round that penetrates can kill a tank crewmen even if they are buttoned up.

Upvote 0
The vehicle crew collision is somewhere between those two, not as exact as the infantry, but not just big boxes. There is a pill shaped collision that pretty much matches the players head, and then a pill shaped collision that encompasses the player's torso and arms. And yes, a AT rifle round that penetrates can kill a tank crewmen even if they are buttoned up.

Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

I just joygasmed. Thank you guys soo much for incorporating that into the game. You made a crazed PTRD Soldier very happy :D:D:D

Upvote 0
Makes sense:)

Upvote 0
Don't penetrating AP rounds ricochet inside the hull? Sounds difficult to code but I'm not a coder.

Not relevant at this point of the war (or maybe any point), but I understand modern armor piercing fin-stabilized disposing sabot (APFSDS) rounds can go clear through tanks, and kill with over-pressure and the sudden vacuum. Or at least that's what a tanker friend of mine trained on the Abrams told me.

So no ricochet there.

I'm curious to know if spalling will be modeled.

Upvote 0
Not relevant at this point of the war (or maybe any point), but I understand modern armor piercing fin-stabilized disposing sabot (APFSDS) rounds can go clear through tanks, and kill with over-pressure and the sudden vacuum. Or at least that's what a tanker friend of mine trained on the Abrams told me.

So no ricochet there.

I'm curious to know if spalling will be modeled.
Wow I hadn't even thought about that -- the sudden pressure change caused by a round penetrating a tank actually being enough to kill a person! Interesting...

Upvote 0
Wow I hadn't even thought about that -- the sudden pressure change caused by a round penetrating a tank actually being enough to kill a person! Interesting...

I'd like to see some more reliable sources before counting on the old "my buddy was in the army and said..." That stuff is notoriously suspect.

There are a huge amount of myths that seem to make thier way around in the military, even to the instructors. I've heard stories of instructors perpetuating the myths that 5.56 rounds spin end-over-end through the air* and a near miss from a .50 BMG will "kill you with it's shockwave". Both are bogus.

*Anyone who's played Metal Gear Solid 3 can remember when this was groan-inducely portrayed by The Boss's modifed M-16.:p

Overpressure killing, perhaps. Vaccum? What vaccum? Where is it coming from?

Upvote 0