• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question for military nuts.

There are lots of factors.
The troops obviously need transportation. 12 million man army without planes or ships wont be able to invade England or Australia for example.
Also what types of troops. How many percent of those man are "untrained" reservists?
How many Soldiers of those 265 are needed for supply tasks, how many are actual fighting?

Upvote 0
Well, you could look at Operation Barbarossa... the Germans fielded some 3.5m men in total. Playing with the numbers in very simplistic fashion, this put (roughly) 300 divisions in the line - (even more roughly) 3,000 battalions. Each battalion runs to 3 rifle companies, plus a heavy weapons company; each rifle company runs to 3 platoons of 3 squads of 10 men (at full strength) - the men actually fighting. That makes (equally roughly) 300 combat troops per battalion, for a grand total of 900,000 actual fighting troops - which is 1/4 of the total in 1941.

The German invasion force was NOT heavily motorized - a modern force would be far more heavily dependent on support troops. This means that Ostman's 1/7 ratio may not be far off the mark.

Which means... of your 265,000, a large percentage may deploy overseas, BUT only something like 40,000 are actually going to be front line combat troops firing guns at the enemy.

Upvote 0
Supplementary question:

If your country has a programme of cutting army numbers due to austerity measures and then finds that several thousand of its men are required to carry out security duties at a major global sports event, due to the entrustment of said duties to a private contractor with barely competent management, what are the chances of Argentina invading the Falklands, whilst they have the chance? ;)

Upvote 0
supplementary question:

If your country has a programme of cutting army numbers due to austerity measures and then finds that several thousand of its men are required to carry out security duties at a major global sports event, due to the entrustment of said duties to a private contractor with barely competent management, what are the chances of argentina invading the falklands, whilst they have the chance? ;)
hahahahaha

Very slim. Their new PM is all talk. :p

Upvote 0
Now to end the never ending debate.

So what if Canada mobilized it's troops and had plans to head south...
tumblr_m3b0pusv5s1robvvco1_400.gif

Upvote 0

Another Variable: How far south? The further south you go the more armed populace you will run into and by time you hit Texas you are going to be Canadian swiss cheese melting/bubbling on the pavement. Or if you go the Georgia route you will run into TWI's fortress office. :IS2:

Upvote 0

Would they travel using the Navy (i.e. by kayak) or the Air Force (otherwise known as Air Canada)? I suppose they could borrow some ponies off the RCMP...

However, I think the whole thing would come to a pretty rapid halt: one rather large US Customs and Border Protection dude pointing out they didn't have the right visa documents to invade and sending all 20 of them home again.

Upvote 0
However, I think the whole thing would come to a pretty rapid halt: one rather large US Customs and Border Protection dude pointing out they didn't have the right visa documents to invade and sending all 20 of them home again.
I heard that this rather large US Customs and Border Protection dude had died of the common cold due to not having proper health insurance.

Apparently Canada poses a far larger threat than you seem to believe it does.

Upvote 0
Well, technically he can go to the hospital.. but when he leaves he'll be taking a newfound $120,000 debt with him.

We're teaching Canada how to commodify everything in existence just like we do here in the States, for the enrichment of a few financial Kings. They'll be fully onboard in no time. The refinement of the top-down commercial structure and the effective usage of the incentives and gains found therein toward the complete suffocation of society has to be the greatest gift America has propagated unto the world, a gift whose harvest we will soon be reaping, a gift whose stain will persist for generations. Get ready for our boomerang returning from Europe.

Upvote 0
USA would get demolished. I mean... let's be real... they are in huge financial dept and all their soldiers are in the middle east doing god knows what.
I wonder what the Estonian contingent is doing there, too. :confused:

16cd729d.jpg

It was obvious Slavek was trolling, but I think you seriously believe Canada could beat the US in a war, which is quite scary and alarming. :eek:

I for one would welcome our Canadian Overlords and their delicious syrup and succulent bacon strips. Let there be war.
Maine has some pretty rocking syrup, so we really don't need Canada for that. As a side note believe it or not, I hate anything that comes from a pig. Ham, pork, bacon, all of it. Not sure why, but it happens to be that all meat I hate comes from a pig. I'd make a great muslim.

Anyway, it would be really awesome, because then after we annihilate Canadian forces, we can occupy them and have enough oil reserves to last us for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0