• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Quality vs quantity: tanks edition

skittlesareyum47

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
TWI has said that they are going have considerably fewer tanks due to the fact that it is very time consuming to do a 3d model of the interior. Personally, I would LOVE to see the same variety of tanks in OST in HoS but this is a big let down. Besides could TWI at least get an IDEA of what some of the tanks looked like on the inside? Who the hell cares what bolts were where or something. I'm not trying to be a troll but I was really looking forward to a great variety of tanks which I have been sorely disappointed. They made the interiors for all the other tanks, it isn't much more to do what ever is left. Imagine playing RO OST you are in the driver position, of a random tank, look to your right and you see the gun sticking out in the back and some crew on it, it isn't that much more complicated.

From what I read the tanks will be much better then before including the massive work for the interiors. And you will be able to SEE the others who are in the tank with you.

At first they are only releasing 2 but will add more with updates.

They are doing a great job with tanks and they sound proud of it also. I am looking forward to playing them.

Upvote 0
i'm going with quality on this......here's something to keep in perspective, Alan estimated that it took about 3 months just to model the interior of the pIV, so not even including the exterior, the coding, animations etc...so i have a lot of faith that the quality of the work will be top notch.

also, there are two other tanks in development to be released "soon" after the game comes out. something Alan also mentioned is the idea that "copy/paste" of versions of say, the pIV would not be anywhere near as time consuming as the core exterior/interior structures are very similar. because of that i could imagine community modders even being able to churn out some pIV variants in addition to what TW will make for us.

Upvote 0
Patience man, I'm sure they'll add more vehicles in later releases.
yes but i wouldn't count on that many tbh.
the workload for even what many here think were 'primative' ROost tanks was immense.
no prob as far as i'm concerned thou - for this game i'd prefer a study to a sample.

@ threadstarter phaps 3rd parties could add more tanks but with less detail though - more like RO's at least from a visual sense (restricted interior view, absense of normal mapping phaps)
however to still spend that much time on something that falls well short of to the new higher standards is not the most rewarding task i could imagine.

And come to think of it, you've got 2 mods and an official addon team working away as we speak so who's gonna be left to do it?
if there is anyone my money is on them wanting to make king tigers and jagdpanthers for the inevitable western front mod anyway....

Upvote 0
Yeah same here. I'd also be interested in seeing some assault guns, potentially the SU-76 and Stugg. No urban combat is complete without assault guns.

Definitely second this.

Since tanks on the UE3 engine take alot longer to make, its better to have ones that allow for more interesting gameplay.

Either Assault guns or Tank Destroyers would make a much more interesting choice than just 1 medium tank and 1 heavy tank per side.

ALSO, the Stug was often mounted on a pIV chasis, so it'll be quicker to build.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm going with quality on this......here's something to keep in perspective, Alan estimated that it took about 3 months just to model the interior of the pIV, so not even including the exterior, the coding, animations etc...so i have a lot of faith that the quality of the work will be top notch.

also, there are two other tanks in development to be released "soon" after the game comes out. something Alan also mentioned is the idea that "copy/paste" of versions of say, the pIV would not be anywhere near as time consuming as the core exterior/interior structures are very similar. because of that i could imagine community modders even being able to churn out some pIV variants in addition to what TW will make for us.

So I'm guessing making other Panzer variants like the infantry support version would be easily possible. Awesome.

Upvote 0
Um clearly we have a difference of opinion, but I would rather see them spend time making a much better SYSTEM with less tanks at first, so that the new amazing SYSTEM can be applied to all later tank additions.

Or else we'll get the same tank system we had in RO:OST, which was good, but TWI is committed to making this game better than the first, not the same.

Besides, if they're adding more tanks later (4 I believe) for FREE, what's to complain about? You get to have the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0
yes su 76 would be nice but as is there a smallish variety of AFVs to chose from also balance is a tricky issue - as discussed in another thread.

put simply - match an su76 with an L24 stug and it has a massive advantage when these 2 face off - however once the stug has a higher velocity 75mm gun and it's all over for the SU.

of course this doesn't rule out any of the spgs mentioned - just saying thats all.
Su122 would be a nice addition but un fortunately i believe they didn't make stalingrad, at most a few right at the end.

@ extrem - for you or i to create say a p4f1 you could use the interior (though the gun would be wrong), but i think you would have to make a whole new exterior model and all that comes with it. I don't think you could simply change the gun barrel to the existing model, as you wouldn't have editable access to that. If that's what you were getting at.

Upvote 0
Besides, if they're adding more tanks later (4 I believe) for FREE

two tanks, two transports.

i totally agree about the points about making a great system first, so that tanks can be added on later. things like the pIV, you could make variants and reuse most of the interior (remember this pIV interior took 3 months) and just have to create new exterior, guns, animaitons etc...

Upvote 0
Don't forget that these tanks have a full array of functional periscopes, vision slits, hatches etc. which were missing from RO tanks. These devices are only easily usable with a fully 3d interior, so any sort of RO interior would be totally inferior (this also implies that German tanks will have their historical advantage in situational awareness).

Realistically, the not giving the Germans the P3 is blatant favoritism since it formed the bulk of the fleet in 1942. The long-barreled StuGs and P4s were much more rare.

Upvote 0
Realistically, the not giving the Germans the P3 is blatant favoritism since it formed the bulk of the fleet in 1942. The long-barreled StuGs and P4s were much more rare.

yes but which panzer 3 would you use then baring in mind the russians are getting a t-34 76.
actually never mind that - pick the russian tank as well if you like; what do you think would work as an initial pair, and then which 2 would you then add - one per side?

Upvote 0